lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #21
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 72V AC Drive Precedent Progress

Here is some additional information on my battery selection...

I contacted 20-30 suppliers through AliExpress.

As far as battery choices go, I kept going back and forth between 48V 200aH and 72V 120aH.
These batteries are very similar in price and size. You get more wH with the 48V version (and the higher voltage was not that important to the AC system as the motor voltage is reduced to 35V regardless of the input voltage)
But the real advantage and deciding factor for me was that since both would be current limited by their BMS (200-250A in my case) the 72V system gives you 50% more power than the 48V with an equivalent current draw.

Then it really came down to two manufactures that offer this battery in a size that worked, and that communicated well with me. The final deciding factor for me was that Lilly’s RD Battery company was willing to take payment through PayPal so I felt protected and had a means to recover my money if things fell through.

I measured my tub to order the battery and then later replaced the tub with the new style. As a result of that, I had to trim a little bit of the new tub for fitment. If you were to order it 1-2cm “narrower” there would be no tub modifications required at all.

It was about a 3 week production cycle, followed by 4 weeks at sea and a few more days from California to Tennessee. She kept in contact during all phases of the process.

Lilly can be reached at rdbattery@163.com

Good luck if you decide to go this route, and feel free to contact me for further information.
Doug
dougrobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #22
alangsam
Getting Wild

Hi Doug. This is helpful. I sent Lilly an email. What are the dimensions the pack needs to be for a precedent nominees for cutting.
alangsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #23
alangsam
Getting Wild

She came back with pricing that she said was higher than yours because the currency devalued and charger went up in price. I asked her for a 25 amp vs 15amp charger.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #24
alangsam
Getting Wild

Doug. What 72v solenoid did you buy to support your 72v pack?
Old 02-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #25
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

Solenoid from eBay (Pic attached)

The battery dimensions were 620mm long, 360mm wide, and 240mm tall.

To avoid trimming the 360mm width should be reduced to 350mm, or 340mm would be even better....

The other two dimensions could actually grow if needed and still be OK.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 4.46.27 PM.png (493.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #26
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrobling View Post
Solenoid from eBay (Pic attached)

The battery dimensions were 620mm long, 360mm wide, and 240mm tall.

To avoid trimming the 360mm width should be reduced to 350mm, or 340mm would be even better....

The other two dimensions could actually grow if needed and still be OK.
Are you sure the dimensions aren't 260mm wide? 360 would require some serious modification I think.

The dimensions I was quoted from them are 700x260x240H (This is for a 100ah variant, but I think the 120 would probably fit in the same box).
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #27
alangsam
Getting Wild

How did you deal
With the wiring harness that comes right through the center of the battery tray?
Old 02-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #28
dougrobling
Getting Wild
Club Car

My battery is 360mm wide.
The wiring comes in on the passenger side and then over to the middle and back to the controller. I just ran it straight into the battery box where it first connects and mounted the controller and associated equipment there on the end.... (You can see it in several of the pictures)
A lot of the wiring and components just get removed (charger controller and wiring, old motor speed and temp wiring, etc....)
Old 02-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #29
alangsam
Getting Wild

Ok thanks
Old 02-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #30
SlowwPoke
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrobling View Post

As far as battery choices go, I kept going back and forth between 48V 200aH and 72V 120aH.
These batteries are very similar in price and size. You get more wH with the 48V version (and the higher voltage was not that important to the AC system as the motor voltage is reduced to 35V regardless of the input voltage)
But the real advantage and deciding factor for me was that since both would be current limited by their BMS (200-250A in my case) the 72V system gives you 50% more power than the 48V with an equivalent current draw.
Doug
Could you explain why it would perform better with the 72 volt battery than the 48 volt battery if the controller reduces the voltage to 35 volts?

I'm in the process of installing the Navitas AC conversion with 48 volt batteries.

Thank you
SlowwPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car