lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
rwsqurl153@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

Default fuel and spark not running other than outta interest

this cart that ran when parked is driving me bonkers!!

ive been overwhelmed just getting it to turn over. Now ive tackled those hurdles and she don't wanna run.

ive got good blue/white spark
I know the fuel is there I can see it in the fuel pumps clearish cover
I did a compression check but im not sure if it was done properly insert tester turn over engine with wide open throttle????

where to go now??
rwsqurl153@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: fuel and spark not running other than outta interest

What was the compression?With the tester in the spark-plug hole,and throttle open,crank it over for about 3 seconds.If its' below 90psi,its' not real likely to run,especially in a 2-stroke.Have you tried shooting starting-fluid or some gas in the carb,then try to start it?Has the carb been cleaned,when they sit,the fuel becomes varnish and clogs everything up.Did you drain and refill the tank?The fuel with ethanol goes bad in 2-3 months and won't burn,plus it absorbs moisture which settles to the bottom,where the fuel-pickup is.If you are seeing fuel-flow,that is a good sign,since you have sufficient vacuum to run the pump.Start with those things,then come back with what you found.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yeah, just because you see fuel in the filter doesn't mean it's moving towards the carburetor.

Take the fuel line off the carb and start the cart. You should see a pretty good amount of fuel coming out of that line. A trickle won't do it. If you don't see a lot of fuel coming out of that line while the cart in trying to run you aren't getting enough gas.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
rwsqurl153@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

I got a reading of 110psi. i did take the carb of and check the inside looked spotless. Alsp cleaned the intake pipe to a shine. and i emptied tank and refueled with new gas i also bypassed the tank and put the pickup line directly in some gas in a seperate container. I poured some fuel in the cylinder and still not even trying to run by itself!!?? Need to try spraying fuel into the carb........stumped.......
Old 03-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The carb won't lift fuel,you will need to hold the hose up,above the inlet so it gravity feeds.Make sure you use mixed gas,or you will do damage if it fires.110psi should run fine,its on the lower side,but still OK.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
rwsqurl153@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

ok so a friend came and took a look and apperantly the points were never opening...... yet I was still getting spark with the spark plug out and touching the fins on the head..

is it possible to get spark this way??
we moved the points to where they were opening but it didn't seem like we got any different results any suggestions??
Old 03-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I would clean the points with a point file or nail file,then with them closed,slip a piece of paper between them and slip it out with the points closed to clean the file residue.Then wit the points on the ramp(open),set the gap.Then recheck spark.The gap determines timing,too tight fires sooner,too loose,fires later.If they are dirty,erratic/weak spark is possible.The condenser could be bad too,that will give a weak spark with the plug out,but the compression will crush the spark when its trying to fire.Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
rwsqurl153@aol.com
Not Yet Wild

thanks pachanga that's great info ill definatly try that tomorrow!! I didn't realize the gap is actually the timing. If im not mistaken its .22 feeler gauge from what ive seen on others post. so ill get my hands on some feeler gauges from work and give it a try!! Thanks for all the advice!!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The gap is part of the timing,the plate should be adjustable as well,but i would leave it alone.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
Craigs carts
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

110 lb.s is to much for a Harley you should be seeing 85-95 lb.s check for a plugged exhaust.
jack up rear end and spray a mix of gas and oil into the intake while turning motor over.
I don't like starting fluid so I personally wouldn't use it. head bolts are only torqued to 17 lb.s starting fluid will blow head and base gaskets with just a few blasts.
Craigs carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson