lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Sardad5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 99 EZ Go gas runs 10 minutes and sputters afterwards

I recently purchased a 99 EZ Go workhorse with 11hp engine. Engine runs good for 10-15 minutes or until hot and then spits and sputters and backfires. Will run at low idle after that but have to work the choke back and forth to get to run beyond idle. Can let sit and cool down and run again for 10-15 minutes. After multiple try's during hot smoke starts coming from muffler. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kevin
Sardad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 EZ Go gas runs 10 minutes and sputters afterwards

There are so many possibilities here..... I'm leanin toward a spark issue. I say this b/c of the heating up. Maybe one or more of the electrical components is giving to the heat and not operating properly. You might cover all your bases though and start simple. Check comp. and valve lash just to get that out of the way. After that check conn. at the spark comp. ( coil, ign., and pulsar and all grounds ). Kinda shootin in the dark but you might run up on it.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
Sardad5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks EZ Go Go! I will try that. Any other ideas from anyone?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
stopsign
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I would personally start with the coil.
stopsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

With the reference to working the choke to get it to rev after it starts sputtering I would lean toward a fuel starvation issue.
Check all of your fuel lines including the pick up tube in the tank to the carb for air leaks/cracks, unscrew the gas cap a little when it starts sputtering, if that helps, tank vent is clogged.
Check pulse hose from block to fuel pump.
Maybe pull carb and give it a good cleaning as well.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
stopsign
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The reason I say coil is that my weed whacker had the exact same problem.... when the coil heated after 10 to 15 minutes it wouldnt run anymore... rather it wouldnt stay running unless i dicked with the choke and even then it wouldnt rev but rather just bearly run until i let it cool down... if it had been a fuel starvation issue it would be present at all times and not just after 10 minutes... in regards to the weed whacker, i did the whole clean carb/ replace plug, etc... after a google search yielded coil i went ahead and replaced it with a new one and i just used it for nearly an hour straight and it was perfect... i stand firm, try the coil, lol.... keep us posted and good luck.
stopsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you suspect the coil is failing when it heats up try this..... bring a jug of water with you, when the cart stops raise the seat and pour plenty of water on the coil to cool its core temp down. If it starts right up after that you found the problem
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My 2004 ezgo does something similar to this. I here a sparking noise under the seat and i also can see sparks coming from one of the plug wires. any advice?
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut2000 View Post
My 2004 ezgo does something similar to this. I here a sparking noise under the seat and i also can see sparks coming from one of the plug wires. any advice?

Um, Replace the plug wire and boot?

crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Sardad5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Guys,
It looks like the problem has been resolved however i replaced so many things I am not sure what fixed it but it cost me $20 total so I will take that any day. I can't thank each of you for all the quick responses and support. This forum rocks. By the way. I checked the valve lash and minimal adjustment needed. Compression on both was 145. I went ahead and replaced all fuel lines and the fuel filter as well as both spark plugs. Took it on a ride just now and rode twice as long as the last few trips when it started sputtering and no issues. I think I have this thing fixed.
Thanks again
SAR DAD 5
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO