lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Default 2 vs 4 gauge cable

Figured this question was better on its own. I know there a re a couple of threads that talk about this in a few places of varrying age. I am currently not looking to build a monster cart, but looking to swap cables and motor and possibly controller. I am not looking for a 35 mph cart, but would like it to keep speed when climbing hills, climb hills with 2 people that it currntly stops woth 2, but will make it with one kind of thing. I don't care about burn outs, but would not mind throwing a little gravel.... I am still an overgrown redneck 4 year old after all!!

When plaing with Ohms law calculations, I seem to find that there really is minimal loss when swapping cables (even from 6 gauge down to 2), but also understand the better flow and keeping cooler and wire ratings go into that as well (artery idea/theory). My assumption is if 4 is better than stock, why not just go ahead and swap to the 2 gauge wire? I am cheap, but the cost for upgrading is minimal if you do it once, and don't want to and probably won't do it to 4 gauge and then to 2 gauge.

If my calculations are correct, with 36 volts and 300 amps and 24 feet of cable, power loss with 6 gauge wire is 1.06 volts, 117 watts, or 1.09%.

Same parameters, 2 gauge - loss is .23 volts, 14.51 watts, and .13%.

Now when looking at then against each other, of course the 2 gauge wins, but even with the 6 gauge, you are getting 99% power to the motor, and I can gain or lsoe enough weight in a weekend for 1%.

Strictly numbers wise, it sitll makes sense, but not as much as I thought. Does it come down to the basic ratings of the cable?

Thanks for reading through my rambling and helping all of us out
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2 vs 4 gauge cable

No wonder they call you sleepyLuke, it sounds like you have been loosing sleep over this 1%
The controller design engineers say 4 g is good for 400a and smaller controls. 2g is needed for 500a and bigger controls.
If you run on 48v you use less amperage so 4g can work for a 500a on 48v, The costs are not great in material and everything including the lugs are heavier which means greater amperage delivery and a longer useful life. You are saving money doing it yourself. Spend some of that on larger conductor, you won't be regretting it..... and you'll sleep better
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Honestly I do think about stuff too much but this one is more of I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to get it done right!
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think all of the golf cart engineers and motor builders agree that 2g is enough for most builds... some swear it is more than needed....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts