lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
GigaWatt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2004 Club Car DS IQ Drive Problem

I just finished replacing my 6 year old Trojan batteries with new Trojans. After the first charge the battery pack read 52.2 volts. Is 52.2 volts too high? I thought it should be in the range of 49.8 to 50.4 volts. I drove the cart for 1/2 mile with no problems other than noticing the regen braking was not working. My wife got on the cart and drove a short distance until the drive cut out. I noticed when she released the drive pedal I could hear a solenoid or relay click. When she depressed the drive pedal the cart moved forward about 100 ft. then cutout again. This problem just kept repeating so I pulled the cart in my barn and connected the charger.

This morning after the overnight charge I still have the same problem. Drive approximately 100 ft. cutout, release pedal and hear click then drive another 100 ft till cutout. Regen braking is also not working. The cart has very good power when accelerating until drive cutout.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the problem? Would resetting the OBC help? M&M Golf Car where I bought the cart is only 3 miles from my home. I hate to spend extra money if I can repair the problem myself.

Last edited by GigaWatt; 06-01-2011 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: content
GigaWatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2004 Club Car DS IQ Drive Problem

Well you have done a good job of looking for the click of the solenoid! things to look for, I always start with what I did last that usually fixes things.

1 batteries and / or connections
2 There is a min and max voltage level for the controller pre programed ??
3 check resistance of the MCOR or pedal pot 0 to 5K
4 put it on jack stands and see if it cuts out with less load
5 is key switch loose
6 F/R switch

I do not think its the OBC if the relay is holding, but the relay may not be holding, have you noticed when your switch from rev to fwd if you foot is on the pedal it will not go until you release it all the way then depress it, this is what could be happening so maybe the F/R switch is dropping out or the solenoid per the obc or controller, so jump the solenoid both sides + and - and test.
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

It could also be the switch in the MCOR
Old 06-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
GigaWatt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply. I believe the problem must be load related. Starting from my barn the yard is uphill to my house. The drive cuts out in exactly the same spot every time. When driving downhill or level it will travel further before cutout.

All of the batteries and cables are new and tight. I am a retired electrical engineer; so I will get my test equipment out and start checking.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Carryone
Getting Wild

hi
if regen brake also not working
it will be speed sensor
you can reed more here.. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...n-problem.html
Carryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaWatt View Post
Thanks for the reply. I believe the problem must be load related. Starting from my barn the yard is uphill to my house. The drive cuts out in exactly the same spot every time. When driving downhill or level it will travel further before cutout.

All of the batteries and cables are new and tight. I am a retired electrical engineer; so I will get my test equipment out and start checking.

Thanks for the help.
Is there a bump in the road, could you be bouncing the relay open pedal sw or f/r switch. put it on a jack and see if it still cuts out with no bouncing.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
GigaWatt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Carryone was correct, it was the speed sensor!
Car runs great now and regen braking works again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car