lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
herbstmg
Not Yet Wild

Default Do I need a new pulsar coil?

I am currently in the process of a complete overhaul of an 89 ezgo marathon, 3pg 2 stroke. I am at the point of the engine rebuild and am wondering if I need to replace the pulsar coil. I have read a few threads on here but haven't been able to identify if my pulsar coil is good. I have the motor torn apart, just about to start inserting bearings and whatnot so I figured now is the time to replace the pulsar coil if I'm going to. I actually have two lying around and tested them with my voltage meter. I got a readout of roughly 148 ohms on each. Does that mean they are good? I would really hate to have to split the cases again on this thing but I would also hate to waste ~$85 on a new coil when it isn't needed. I do plan on going HEI if that takes anything into affect.
herbstmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Do I need a new pulsar coil?

If it worked before you rebuilt it, those seldom ever fail so I would reuse it.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Split the case again?? Isn't it just behind the flywheel like on a 2pg?
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
herbstmg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Split the case again?? Isn't it just behind the flywheel like on a 2pg?
Ah very true. Sorry, it's been a while since I tore it down. But I will say, removing the flywheel was just about as difficult as splitting the cases. I'll give it a go and see what happens.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Ok just checkin', yeah I've heard the horror stories about removing the flywheel. I've been lucky and haven't had much of a problem with one yet..... I agree with CP241 about the pulsar rarely going bad, Good for you on restoring grandpa's buggy. Post up some pics of that bad boy, we like pics in here
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
herbstmg
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If it worked before you rebuilt it, those seldom ever fail so I would reuse it.
This cart was my grandpa's and after the muffler started giving him problems (rust) and his cart shed buddy quit golf, he ended up buying his buddy's cart and this one ended up sitting for 8-10 years. I'm restoring it so I'm trying to replace everything that I need to but I'd rather not throw $80 at something if I don't have to.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO