lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
dgoede
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Shutting down for no apparent reason

Rather strange event has happened a few times with my 2010 RXV. Running fine, out of the blue it just seems to shut down in forward. It's not a hard brake lockup but more like a power failure. Usually if i toggle key off/ back on I am back on my way. The last time this happened the key toggle didn't seem to do anything. Tow mode didn't disengage the engine brake either. When i did the wire switch by the controller this did disengage the brake release. I switched the plugs back to normal and the cart operated as normal. I noticed a voltage drop on the gauge to around 3/4 from full when this happens. Any ideas where to start looking for issues?
dgoede is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV Shutting down for no apparent reason

Check battery voltage drop during operation. Any steady levels below 44 will quickly cause problems.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
dgoede
Not Yet Wild

When i measure the voltage of each battery they are all in the 12.6v range in the garage but will take it for a ride and measure the bank to see if it changes while under way. thanks.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

We jus dealt with a 2010 RXV doing much the same thing. It was a Danahar based RXV but with the newer style AC motor with inductive speed sensor instead of the encoder bearing. It didn't throw a relevant code (it was a code for AC Over Current) by ended up being the speed sensor itself.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
dgoede
Not Yet Wild

Interesting, Without a scanner, is there any way to test this without pulling the motor as I suspect that I have the encoder bearing as I believe the motor would be the original 2010? I am seeing that a bad encoder causes a "limp home" mode, what I am seeing is a complete loss of power. Can a faulty encoder bearing cause the cart to shut down completely?
Old 07-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
dgoede
Not Yet Wild

cgtech, working off your theory, I tried testing on stands but couldn't get much in the way of a voltage drop on the pack given the lack of resistance. Put it back on the road to do some testing. With a pack voltage of 50.3, if I floor it up a hill, I can get each battery to draw down to 10.5 (42 total) but only briefly, I am thinking this is pretty typical as all four batteries are showing the same behavior. Will take it around the course this week and watch the voltage a little more closely. thanks for all your assistance.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoede View Post
cgtech, working off your theory, I tried testing on stands but couldn't get much in the way of a voltage drop on the pack given the lack of resistance. Put it back on the road to do some testing. With a pack voltage of 50.3, if I floor it up a hill, I can get each battery to draw down to 10.5 (42 total) but only briefly, I am thinking this is pretty typical as all four batteries are showing the same behavior. Will take it around the course this week and watch the voltage a little more closely. thanks for all your assistance.
That is concerning, as the default Low Voltage Cutoff is factory set to 40V. The RXV is programmed to shut down and set an error code when it reaches 40V. So now you know why it is shutting down. You CAN replace the battery cables with 2 AWG and put in a set of new batteries. Just keep in mind, that default limit is way too high in my opinion. When I reprogram an RXV controller, I always change that limit to something more reasonable. That pretty much eliminates the issue that a lot of RXV owners have during times of high demand.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
dgoede
Not Yet Wild

does that mean that if it just hits the 40v for even a brief moment it would trigger the low voltage shut down?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If this is a Danahar version I doubt you can change the low voltage threshold. At least my Danahar handheld can't.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoede View Post
Interesting, Without a scanner, is there any way to test this without pulling the motor as I suspect that I have the encoder bearing as I believe the motor would be the original 2010? I am seeing that a bad encoder causes a "limp home" mode, what I am seeing is a complete loss of power. Can a faulty encoder bearing cause the cart to shut down completely?
Encoder failures will almost always result in total stop, not limp mode.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO