lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply
Unread 03-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
slonomo
Seaching for "The Way"

Yamaha

Default Polaris clutches???

Has anyone ever tried to adapt a Polaris atv primary clutch to a Vanguard or other 1" crank engine?

These clutches are 30mm taper, so an adapter could work, no? I've used the adapters for a stock golf cart clutch, but my adapter actually broke. I suppose if someone made a really good one out of high quality steel, it would work.

I'm seeing that the ATV clutches are larger diameter, like 8" vs 7.25" and the shift profiles are better, and they are rated for up to 80 hp.

Just changing the 7.25" clutch to the 8" clutch gives a 0.725 overdrive on most stock carts. This gives a 3 mph difference at 3500 rpm. Not sure it's worth it, but I'm betting the clutches perform better as far as engagement goes.

I know that the ATV belts are a little thicker, but that will only mean that the belt rides higher in the secondary clutch. Does that only affect low gear?

Just a thought.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Unread 03-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
slonomo
Seaching for "The Way"

Yamaha

Default Re: Polaris clutches???

I've found a bunch of threads where people have talked about trying this but without any follow up data. I'm guessing it won't work.

I think the issue might be the length of the 1" crankshaft. Some say you can machine the inside of the Polaris drive clutch so there is more room for the long shaft, but I haven's seen it done.

I have not found any other info on the subject.

It just so happens that I have a Polaris 400 machine here with working clutches. I may just give it a try. I also am curious about the secondary clutch and if it's compatible with any golf cart transaxle. There is a rumor that the secondary might fit EZGO.
Unread 03-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #3
875VA
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I have a secondary clutch from a Polaris Ranger on my 2005 EZGO 875. It slid right on and haven't had any problems at all. I had to mismatch the bolt and washer to bolt it on, but been working without any flaws. I think once I get my predator 670 motor finished the Polaris Ranger clutch will show it's potential with the higher power motor replacing the 350 MCI.
875VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
slonomo
Seaching for "The Way"

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 875VA View Post
I have a secondary clutch from a Polaris Ranger on my 2005 EZGO 875. It slid right on and haven't had any problems at all. I had to mismatch the bolt and washer to bolt it on, but been working without any flaws. I think once I get my predator 670 motor finished the Polaris Ranger clutch will show it's potential with the higher power motor replacing the 350 MCI.
What year Ranger? Are they all the same?

I wonder if the Ranger clutches are the same as the ATV clutches?

I'm really interested in this. If we can get a Polaris primary and secondary clutch to work together, we are talking some serious improvement in performance!
Unread 03-31-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
kellett5261
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

a friend of mine bought a cart with a Polaris clutch on a predator motor, it does like 35+ MPH. little shady because the suspension needs to be tuned up lol
kellett5261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
slonomo
Seaching for "The Way"

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellett5261 View Post
a friend of mine bought a cart with a Polaris clutch on a predator motor, it does like 35+ MPH. little shady because the suspension needs to be tuned up lol
What kind of cart was it? Ezgo?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!