lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
brownleaf
Not Yet Wild

Default Is motor toast?

97 ezgo dcs, 48v, 48v sol, stock motor, dcx 400 controller, not lifted. Been running 6-7 years.Daughter was driving and suddenly quit controller shows 5 red blinks.Ohm meter shows no continuity between f1 and f2 or between a1 and a2. A1 or A2 to body shows continuity. Am I testing right? If so I`m seeing bad motor.
brownleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is motor toast?

5 red blinks means open field and the fact you have no continuity between F1 and F2 shows an open field. So yes, I would assume a bad motor.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I agree no continuity between F1 & F2 indicates an open in the field circuit, but in addition to a bad motor, it can also mean bad wires to the field windings or blown MOSFETS in the controller feeding the field windings.

On the other hand, no continuity between A1 & A2 points to a bad motor (or brushes), while the continuity between the A1/A2 studs and the motor case probably indicates the brushes are well worn since carbon dust from brush wear can cause continuity between the terminals and case.

If it is the motor and the windings shorted before they burned open, it may have take out the controller as it went.

Attached is how to test the motor.
If it work, the controller is probably bad.
If it doesn't work, both controller and motor might be bad.

------------
Oops, I misread. If you were measuring between the F1 & F2 terminals on motor and got no continuity, the motor is bad. But, it still might have taken controller with it when it went, so it may take more than just a motor to fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor Test - Sepex.jpg (91.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
brownleaf
Not Yet Wild

Johnnie B, The green light still comes when key is turned on then goes to 5 red blinks. So the controller still might be bad?
Old 08-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As an alltrax controller, they have somewhat better protection against the issues that a bad motor can cause, but yes, even with the green light and the flashing code, it is possible the controller could have been damaged.

Bottom line, put a motor in and then try it. If the controller is bad, it's not gonna hurt the new motor.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW:

The LED still flashes green 4 times and goes to solid green on the DCX400 I had in my cart when I exploded the armature in a stock PDS motor and created dead shorts in both the field and armature outputs of the controller.

I never bothered to test it any further than powering it up on the bench since the magic smoke was escaping through the hole where you plug in a laptop when I was able to look under the seat after sliding to a stop. Flipping the Run/Tow switch to Tow stopped the arcing, but it continued to smoke for a minute or so.

I understand the DCX and AXE families of controllers had a bit better short circuit protection than stock controllers, and the XCT/SR families have very good short circuit protection, but I'm trying to not explode another motor to find out for sure.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
brownleaf
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB, Tried your motor test , the wheels will turn but slowly.So I guess I`m ordering a new controller today. Thanks!!!
Old 08-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
brownleaf
Not Yet Wild

OK, I did JohnnieB motor test, the wheels turned with 18v,meaning bad controller? I ordered new controller ,installed and it ran great around block 1-2 miles.Got in it the next day and have 5 red blinks again. I`m lost.......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO