lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
MONSTERCART2679
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Is my starter/gen. toast?

Ok all you cc doctors out there, I have a 94 DS that has been starting hard for a while. If it didn't start right up, I would have to let off and try two or three more times befor it would fire.
Now it doesn't even try to turn over, just a click sound when the gas pedal is pushed. Battery is fully charged and lights shine bright. Please tell me it's some thing simple or at least that I won't have to file for a Gov. bailout to get my baby going again. Thanks In advance
MONSTERCART2679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is my starter/gen. toast?

Sounds like the brushes have gone out in it..... assumming you have load tested the battery.... If you are not confident changing brushes you can always buy another starter and swap it out.... Cables and connections all clean and tight?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
MONSTERCART2679
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes the connections are all clean and tight. However you got me with your assumption, How do load test the battery? Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Harbor Freight sells a cheap little Load Tester for like $25 or you can take them somewhere to have them tested... A hydrometer will give you a good idea of the battery's condition too.... Any auto parts house probably test it for you?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
MONSTERCART2679
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Will do. You guys rock.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
MONSTERCART2679
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok finally got time to test my battery & s/g. Both tested as good. I of coarse started by checking the fuse. Next I tried a new silenoid, which didn't help. This made me beleive I must have a bad micro switch. After individually swaping out all four I am still at a loss. The cart will not turn over unless I jump across the large terminal of the silenoid.
What am I missing? Does anyone have a wiring diagram?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
bertherr
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever fix your starter problem? I know someone with the the same issues and would be interested if replacing the brushes or the starter fixed your problem. On my friends it seems if you slam the gas pedal to the floor it will crank. Bert
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
3547fl
Not Yet Wild

You should be able to take your starter off and take it into a repair/rebuilding service and have it tested. Mine was rusted and beat on by the PO and the rebuilt it for $125 like new. If only your brushes are bad it should be very cheap. Look for any local Starter/ alternator rebuild company.
3547fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
bertherr
Not Yet Wild

My friend's starter problem ended up being a corroded ground cable connection under the electrical box w/the solenoid. Bert
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

The starter/generator can be problematic because of its location at the top of the engine and under the mid-body of the cart, making it a difficult, but not impossible position from which to work.

Take a good look through this thread, which has diagrams and photos: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...tor-101-a.html

Replacing the brushes yourself is NOT a difficult task. Well, it is IMPOSSIBLE the first time you do it. After that, it is OLD HAT.

If you have the time, and your system checks out all the way back to the generator, then maybe changing brushes is the way to go. In my case, replacing the generator/starter did the trick.
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car