lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
gatlida
Not Yet Wild

Default placement when adding 2 more 6 volt batteries to 36 volt for 48 volt conversion

I have a 94 vglide 36 volt cart i am converting to 48 volts. I swapped the solenoid fo a 48 volt solenoid and bought 2 new NAPA 6volt batteries. I broke thepack between # 3battery neg and connected to new battery now#4 pos. terminal. then new#4 neg to new #5 bat pos. Then new#5 neg back to original 36 volt pack pos battery #4 now bat#6 in pack.
The cart runs faster and all seemed correct until.....
I notice bat #6 has water on top of it and none of the others do. I hooked up a 48 volt charger and after it goes through its startup sequence it goes to FAULT and shuts down. I volt tested the pack and get 6.3 at bat 1, 12.5 at bat 2, 18.4 at bat 3 and then volt meter goes into fault at new batteries 4 and 5. i get a good reading at pos terminal # 4 of 18.4 volts and I have 12.5 volts when i only check between pos #4 and neg #5. but something is going wrong at bat 4. I get a fault at the neg of #4.
Is the problem breaking the pack and adding the new bats in the middle? Do I have a bad Battery? Should i place the new batteries in the front or end of the series? I was originally getting a good 36 volts between bat 1 and bat 6 before i messed with it. I am confused at point and in need of some help from you guys if you can understand my explanation of my situation.
Thanks
gatlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
El Camino
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: placement when adding 2 more 6 volt batteries to 36 volt for 48 volt conversion

I can't answer all of your question, but I do know this: you never never never add a new battery to an old pack or a old battery to an new pack. I learned the hard way. Something about the difference in the charge rate between the two. One will ruin the other.
El Camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: placement when adding 2 more 6 volt batteries to 36 volt for 48 volt conversion

You should have not trouble adding 2 batteries in the middle of 6/6v pack to make a 8/6v pack.
You will have trouble running 48 volts through a V-glide.
And you will have trouble running 48v through resistor coils.
Maybe the fault reading is due to you have reversed polarity on one of your batteries?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
muskymitch
Not Yet Wild

Hi Scottyb! I am having the same problem, I just purchased a 99 clubcar 36 volt and would like to give it just a little more pep! Is there something I can do becides convert to 48, I know there are chips for the newer models is there anything for 99 or less?
muskymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
gatlida
Not Yet Wild

Scotty, I have the batteries connected pos to neg and neg to pos in series all the way through the system. Is it possible to get a new battery that has reverse polarity? or just a bad battery? The problem seems to be in the number 4 battery. I have 18 volts at the pos terminal and nothing at the negative on the same battery. It doesn't jump 6 more volts in the series.

Also the other 6 batteries (trojans) were bought in January and the 2 new (napa) were bought in July. if that matters.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sure it's possible to get a bad battery, your meter will tell you if the polarity is reversed. Aside from not connecting + to - in series I don't know what else it could be?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
gatlida
Not Yet Wild

OK, Update! I replaced the bad battery now i have 48 volts back in the pack. everything reads correctly. I am still getting a fault in my charger. It is a 48 volt 24cell fairplay charger i bought on ebay. It runs the startup sequence through the lights , swithes to charge for 2 seconds then faults. I think i have a bad charger. Is there a way to bench test chargers or rebuild them if bad?

Last edited by gatlida; 08-13-2012 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: spelling
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car