lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Rear canopy posts on aftermarket rear seat. 2006 Precedent

So my recently purchased 2006 Precedent came with a relatively new aftermarket rear seat/fold open pickup bed. As I slowly disassemble everything to give it a once over and clean off the years of neglect I noticed the rear canopy post/drain-pipes were replaced with a hollow square channel just like the front (likely part of the aftermarket kit?) - but they just kinda sits in the rear holes without anything but gravity holding them down. I guess the original posts were plastic and form-fit snugly in these holes? My worry is that over time the vibration will make these posts chew a hole threw the plastic. Maybe the previous owner neglected to put a piece in those holes to better receive the square channel? Other than that it does appear to be a pretty robust install.
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Rear canopy posts on aftermarket rear seat. 2006 Precedent

...and there it is. Parts 26 and 27 are what hold the rear posts on an original config. Guess I'll have to jury rig something to keep them from chewing things up.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 5.44.27 PM.png (106.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not sure what seat kit you have but typically you buy rear posts based on that kit. If there is anything indicating who made it that may be worth looking into.
hunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter99 View Post
Not sure what seat kit you have but typically you buy rear posts based on that kit. If there is anything indicating who made it that may be worth looking into.
I don't see any markings whatsoever so my thinking is that its a generic Chinese aftermarket product. I also now think the rear posts are original but the "shroud" and plastic brackets as in the pic were removed as they no longer fit when using this unit.

Im going to peruse some pictures online to see if I can figure out whats missing. If that fails I'll drop in at out local cart guy to see what he thinks.

- Gazoo
Old 02-25-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

One other thing I remembered. If it is one of the standard Precedent Monsoon tops, most of the aftermarket posts I have seen have a plastic adapter to fit to the roof. This is for both adapting to the larger opening and for the rainwater to collect and run down inside the struts. That being said the ones I have seen like this the struts go through the openings on top of the body to drain to the ground. Here's a set on Amazon as an example. https://www.amazon.com/Club-Preceden.../dp/B0746SCH8J
hunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
fresnel151
Not Yet Wild

The rear seat on my cart utilized the OEM plastic roof struts. A bracket to support the front and rear seatbacks bolted into the holes where items 26 & 27 were removed. That bracket also had a plate for mounting the OEM struts.

I once replaced the OEM struts with plain square tubing similar to what you described. Had to drill holes in the lower end of the tubing to bolt up to the bracket. I eventually removed the tubing and went back to the OEM struts.
fresnel151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:17 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

You're probably supposed to be using the OEM rear plastic braces. I've got a whole pile of those things if you need some. Post some pictures of what you've got and I'll let you know what you need to do. There's no reason a metal brace should be running down into that hole.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter99 View Post
One other thing I remembered. If it is one of the standard Precedent Monsoon tops, most of the aftermarket posts I have seen have a plastic adapter to fit to the roof. This is for both adapting to the larger opening and for the rainwater to collect and run down inside the struts. That being said the ones I have seen like this the struts go through the openings on top of the body to drain to the ground. Here's a set on Amazon as an example. https://www.amazon.com/Club-Preceden.../dp/B0746SCH8J
That is exactly what I have. The bottom of those posts just sit in the hole loose and free to move and shake. (will post a pic later when I get home)
Old 02-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
You're probably supposed to be using the OEM rear plastic braces. I've got a whole pile of those things if you need some. Post some pictures of what you've got and I'll let you know what you need to do. There's no reason a metal brace should be running down into that hole.
Here the post sitting loose in the holes. I have the whole rear seat removed so I'm trying to envision if the plastic brackets will even fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0113.jpg (189.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Here the post sitting loose in the holes. I have the whole rear seat removed so I'm trying to envision if the plastic brackets will even fit.
It's hard to tell what you're gonna need to do without seeing the entire assembly. Zoom out about 6 feet and take another picture. But I can promise you your current configuration is not correct.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car