lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Some questions about Lithium battery use.

I am itching to get started here and have convinced wife it is worth money. I have a couple questions.

Voltage is voltage, So is the 48 volt reducer I have good for use?

My family is used to using the cart and then plugging it in immediately. I have never run out in a day using my cart around neighborhood and have always had them do this. Will plugging in the lithium batteries shorten their life, or do I actually want to discharge them to a level to not del=velop a memory or damage the batts?

Is a HV LV BMS going to prevent damaging batteries that I won't burn my house down. I am going to be home when charging, but worry when i see all these warnings that a battery should not be left unattended when charging. are you guys sitting at your carts for three hours every time you charge them?

Is AZlithium the distributor of choice these dayy?

For my limited neighborhood use, Do I really need more than a 7 pk lower AH unit or is it very beneficial to go with 14?

I know many of these are basic questions but want to get started and dont want to ruin an investment with a foolish mistake.
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Some questions about Lithium battery use.

Is a unit like this as drop in as it seems and will i be disappointed in range?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithium-48v....c100010.m2109
Old 09-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You need to do a lot of reading to get up to speed on Lithium batteries and how to properly set up and care for them.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
You need to do a lot of reading to get up to speed on Lithium batteries and how to properly set up and care for them.
Thank you for the reply. I have read a lot of the builds and posts. I understand a lot more than my question shows.

I tried to say that the questions were very basic. After looking at the ebay post more thoroughly I realize not quite what I am looking for. So that question answered.

Many post here that a golf cart can go miles before needing a charge. So it can also be driven to being very discharged and not available for use the next day. That is the jy of having family using the cart. So I feel asking if anyone can tell me if Charging after every use will harm batteries is a legit question.

Just wanted to confirm my reducer was good, even though I am confident it is.

Many say cart should never be left charging unattended. Find that a little worrisome,

Last just confirming a source beyond that for which i all ready find that a lot of people use and will ask them the questions.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

I started with reading every applicable build I could find on BGW.

Another great resource I used when getting into lithium conversion is here:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't leave my cart plugged in overnight.
Your 48v reducer may or may not be good depending on what the V rating is. If it is good for up to 60v (evidently many are) then a 58v lith pack will be OK.

MCJEFE and Volt_Ampere are correct. Lots of reading and time at batteryuniversity will do you well.

The over-simplistic key to remember is: Lithium hates overcharge, overdischarge and heat.

That's on a per-cell level too. Don't charge to your max, don't discharge to your min and don't overheat and your cells should live a good long life.

But first you'll need to read up and Batt Univ is a great place to start.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I'll say, with so many of us running Leaf and Volt packs and sharing all of our wiring diagrams and components used; switching to lithium is so much more simpler now than it was 2 or 3 years ago.

Klubber; you're in a great location to convert to lithium. You've got all the resources right near you... PingEye is near Orlando, you got MCJEFE and NoleFan4Ever in Florida. All those guys are running Leaf packs and if you feel like going with a Volt pack, bronsonj is down there too! Not to mention BGW as a huge resource itself
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Klubber; you're in a great location to convert to lithium. You've got all the resources right near you...
Good point! I didn't even look at his location. I am in Saint Pete (other side of the bridge from Tampa). If you want to look at what I've done or how it rides then you're welcome to come check out my cart. I'd wager that most people who've done the lith conversion would be happy to give you a tour of their carts too.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Venteuri
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubber View Post
Thank you for the reply. I have read a lot of the builds and posts. I understand a lot more than my question shows.

I tried to say that the questions were very basic. After looking at the ebay post more thoroughly I realize not quite what I am looking for. So that question answered.

Many post here that a golf cart can go miles before needing a charge. So it can also be driven to being very discharged and not available for use the next day. That is the jy of having family using the cart. So I feel asking if anyone can tell me if Charging after every use will harm batteries is a legit question.

Just wanted to confirm my reducer was good, even though I am confident it is.

Many say cart should never be left charging unattended. Find that a little worrisome,

Last just confirming a source beyond that for which i all ready find that a lot of people use and will ask them the questions.

Hi, I’m also learning about LiFePo4 batteries.
And have similar questions as yours.

This is a very valid question and I haven’t find an adecúate answer. “Charging after every use will harm batteries?”
Take a look at this, it’s very informative: https://ceb8596f236225acd007-8e95328...structions.pdf

It states: “ You can charge your LiFePO4 batteries after each use or when they have been discharged up to 80% (20% SOC). If the Battery Management System (BMS) disconnects the battery due to low voltage, at 100% depth of discharge, remove the load to reconnect the battery circuit and charge immediately. Please note that we recommend storing batteries at 50% state of charge (SOC) to minimize irreversible capacity loss.”
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #10
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Good point! I didn't even look at his location. I am in Saint Pete (other side of the bridge from Tampa). If you want to look at what I've done or how it rides then you're welcome to come check out my cart. I'd wager that most people who've done the lith conversion would be happy to give you a tour of their carts too.

Bronson,

Ill take you up on that after the holidays. I like to drive to St Pete to go to the Italian market. So I can make a day of it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car