lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
plaidman
Not Yet Wild

Default Radio Memory Hookup

Ihave a 2009 Club Car with 6 8volt batteries and a 48-12 converter with the radio working with the ignition on. Every time I turn the ignition off I lose all memory. Is there a way to wire it so it will retain its memory?

Thanks, Charlie
plaidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Radio Memory Hookup

I don't see how without a separate power source. I wonder if a 9v battery to the memory and the neg side tied to neg of radio?? I think I will try it myself unless someone else has an idea on here
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
crash test dummy

yes ...run the radio memory wire , often yellow, to the 12v + side of the reducer

also reducer must be on at all time

Last edited by crash test dummy; 06-02-2014 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 06-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
Highster
Not Yet Wild

I would think this would add a constant drain on the batteries. I understand it's not a large load, but a load none the less.
Highster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
crash test dummy

yes its one of the downsides of running a reducer and a radio ... i have an aux battery so its not a problem
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epb View Post
I don't see how without a separate power source. I wonder if a 9v battery to the memory and the neg side tied to neg of radio?? I think I will try it myself unless someone else has an idea on here
This is the first thing that came to mind when I read the question. I think it might work fine. If it dosent I know for sure 8 AA batteries in series would do it fine.

If you want to get fancy and never change batteries get a large car audio capacitor ( .5 to 1 farad ),a resistor and diode. That would keep the memory alive for weeks without use and no battery changes.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
yes its one of the downsides of running a reducer and a radio ... i have an aux battery so its not a problem
Auxiliary batteries are the best solution if you have room for one. I won't build another cart without one.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
Auxiliary batteries are the best solution if you have room for one. I won't build another cart without one.
I am considering using a lantern battery as my memory backup. Cheap solution that will probably last 2 years at least.

Amazon.com: Rayovac 926 General Purpose Lantern Battery, 12 Volt, Screw Terminals: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Rayovac 926 General Purpose Lantern Battery, 12 Volt, Screw Terminals: Health & Personal Care
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep in mind that most modern radios don't work that way anymore.
What is sometimes still referred as "memory wire", the yellow/constant power is actually the main/only power source for the radio.
The red/ignition wire is just used as a trigger to tell the radio it is ok to turn on the power amp side.
It is sometimes obvious by the yellow wire being a larger gauge wire than the red or by having a 10amp fuse on the yellow and a 1amp fuse on the red.
You can still use a battery to keep the memory, but you need to wire a relay to switch the power source from battery to converter when the radio is on.
You can use a Bosch type 12v SPDT relay.
The relay coil is wired to the +12v of the converter.
The center of the relay switch is wired to the yellow/constant wire from the radio.
The backup battery is wired to the NC contact.
The +12v output from converter is wired to the NO contact.
The red/ignition wire from the radio is wired to the +12v output of the converter.

You can always verify how your particular radio is using the yellow wire by setting your DVM to DC amps and placing it in series with the yellow wire to monitor the current usage between off and on modes.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #10
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Plug your phone into it loaded with MP3's!!
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car