lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #11
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

Put a volt meter on the battery and show us what the s/g is charging with your youtube link. low voltage will cause a cart to run bad they will run. I have run into a few that had bad voltage regulators , causing voltage not being high enough but yet it would run. Just runs terrible like yours. Just a thought.
That is the aftermarket coil you have. The OEM will have a plus and minus stamped on top.
I almost give up last year working on one just like this. I then noticed the OEM coil stuffed in dash. Put it on and it ran like new. You
Unfortunately there might not be any OEM coils left out there at dealers. I got 3 OEM's but I would never sell them because of problems like yours. They are also like gold :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coil.jpg (30.4 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #12
Styles
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Put a volt meter on the battery and show us what the s/g is charging with your youtube link. low voltage will cause a cart to run bad they will run. I have run into a few that had bad voltage regulators , causing voltage not being high enough but yet it would run. Just runs terrible like yours. Just a thought.
That is the aftermarket coil you have. The OEM will have a plus and minus stamped on top.
I almost give up last year working on one just like this. I then noticed the OEM coil stuffed in dash. Put it on and it ran like new. You
Unfortunately there might not be any OEM coils left out there at dealers. I got 3 OEM's but I would never sell them because of problems like yours. They are also like gold :
Trig - I got an OE coil off a guys cart at the golf course. Im not sure if his was dead too though, it does have the molded in plus and minus. Ill need to dig out my meter and check that voltage still. But that OE coil didnt make it run either . It has seemed to have gotten worse so far. At least with my orginial coil it would run for a while. Now i got the wife getting all pissed at me cause i biught a lemeon she thinks
Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #13
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I would test the fire when you say it won't go with one of these spark testers I am showing in picture.
I had the mechanic at out local golf course call me last week saying he had a cart just like yours that was firing but wouldn't run. I stuck my tester in my pocket and being I had to make a trip down that way I stopped in.

He was using an in-line spark tester and it showed it was firing. I put my spark tester on one of the wires and nothing. I went over to where I stored the spare parts when I last worked there and got a coil.

It was buried under stuff and they didn't even know there were three in stock. I just unplugged the other coil, laid this one on top of engine , connected wires and it fired a pretty blue spark using my tester. Cart ran like a new one. I avoid these inline tester for this reason. If it fires with the one I showed then fire is not the problem.

Get one and let me know what happens. Might not be a fire issue but we got to know for sure and this tester I own will 100% tell you.

Put this tester in your pocket and drive it. When it quits use this tester and post results. If it don't fire then wiggle the connection going to pulser coil and see if it fires. These carts are not that hard to troubleshoot if you take the steps mentioned earlier and do this test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark tester.jpg (44.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
I would test the fire when you say it won't go with one of these spark testers I am showing in picture.
I had the mechanic at out local golf course call me last week saying he had a cart just like yours that was firing but wouldn't run. I stuck my tester in my pocket and being I had to make a trip down that way I stopped in.

He was using an in-line spark tester and it showed it was firing. I put my spark tester on one of the wires and nothing. I went over to where I stored the spare parts when I last worked there and got a coil.

It was buried under stuff and they didn't even know there were three in stock. I just unplugged the other coil, laid this one on top of engine , connected wires and it fired a pretty blue spark using my tester. Cart ran like a new one. I avoid these inline tester for this reason. If it fires with the one I showed then fire is not the problem.

Get one and let me know what happens. Might not be a fire issue but we got to know for sure and this tester I own will 100% tell you.

Put this tester in your pocket and drive it. When it quits use this tester and post results. If it don't fire then wiggle the connection going to pulser coil and see if it fires. These carts are not that hard to troubleshoot if you take the steps mentioned earlier and do this test.

Best advice out there. Just because one of those inline spark testers "shows a spark" doesnt mean that spark is strong enough for it to jump the gap of the plug or fire hot enough to ignite the fuel. I usually just use a spare spark plug, but the tester trig shows here is basically the same thing, without risk of zapping yourself. Trust your eyes for a fat blue spark.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #15
Styles
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

Okay.... I just got that exact spark tester in the mail today.... no spark at all on either the new aftermarket coil or the old OEM coil.

What’s the next part upstream from the coil to check now??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #16
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Did you remove both spark plug wires when you did this test with the new spark tester ? If you did then put one plug wire on spark plug and test it again. For some reason these spark testers won't show spark unless you connect one wire. I think I am right on that. You don't have to bolt the coil down. I just lay them on top of the engine and try with that one plug wires left on. Let me know.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #17
Styles
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

Quote:
Did you remove both spark plug wires when you did this test with the new spark tester ?

Yes. And from the image up there. I tested with a volt meter and it was going up to 2.8ish

Crazy thing happened too. I plugged everything back in. Went to look at the wires under the cover by the battery, kicked over and it fired. Drove it around the block, now it’s dead again [emoji2357]

Old 06-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #18
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

You say you tested with both wires off spark plugs ?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #19
Styles
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes. Both off

Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #20
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Well, plug one back on the spark plug and test it with your new tester and post the results.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO