lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1991 EZ GO Marathon 2 Stroke - Weak on Hills

My 1991 EZ GO Marathon 2 Stroke is very weak on the uphill - goes fine with my two little kids in it - no issues. Put 200 lb guys in it, one of us has to get out and push it. The two hills on the course are pretty aggressive - maybe 25 degrees over a couple hundred feet. I'm assuming clutching needs work, but not sure what to do...
birddog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1991 EZ GO Marathon 2 Stroke - Weak on Hills

Is the engine revving to high rpm but powers out? If not, the clutches must be upshifting too soon.

If you stop the cart on the hill just as it starts to get steep and then restart it, does it do any better?
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Wondering if its a worn out belt? Is there a different replacement that is out there? I know there used to be a snowmobile belt that was better for hills / low end power - but I also had trouble with it rubbing on the clutch rivets and destroying the belt -
Old 08-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Jack the back end up and pull the seat and run the motor wide open and watch the clutches the belt should ride to the top of the primary clutch and sink the bottom of the secondary clutch... Another thing isn't check is compression clutches could be fine and motor could be getting weak
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Jack the back end up and pull the seat and run the motor wide open and watch the clutches the belt should ride to the top of the primary clutch and sink the bottom of the secondary clutch... Another thing isn't check is compression clutches could be fine and motor could be getting weak
compression is 135 - 140 each time I checked it (edit)
Old 08-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Each side? There was no 2-cyl 2-stroke, if You have 2 spark plugs You have a 295cc 4-stroke. Which brings up a whole bunch of OTHER possible situations - how many spark plugs do You have, LOL and a pic of the motor would help. Not to mention they didn't offer the 4-stroke in 1991 other than in the GXT804, I believe - more info would definitely help here
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Each side? There was no 2-cyl 2-stroke, if You have 2 spark plugs You have a 295cc 4-stroke.
nope my bad on this one - harkend back to my snowmobile days...

Each time I checked it was between 135-140
Old 08-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Hmm 140 is what they are after a rebuild pull the exhaust off and recheck it if it drops it could be a plugged exhaust causing your issue
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The usual suspects on the 2-strokes are worn engine (which at 135lbs isn't likely the case here) worn belt, plugged exhaust (do a search for "Muffler BBQ" - it really DOES work wonders for gunked-up 2-stroke mufflers) fuel delivery IE dirty carb or failing fuel pump (pull fuel line at carb and crank it over, You should be getting a healthy 3"+ pulse of fuel each revolution, if good then pull carb and clean out jets thoroughly), or failing crank seals (jack up cart and have somebody spray some starting fluid at the rear of the engine where shaft exits between clutch and motor, then again at the front of the engine into the fan - if cart revs up at all while spraying, that particular seal is leaking and affecting your fuel flow through diminished vacuum) ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #10
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I can't locate anything on Muffler BBQ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO