lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
Jricherson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 87' Marathon weak on hills

My cart will pull hills fine if you stop at the bottom first then take off. But, if you are going along on the flat ground then go up the hill without stopping it will slow down then almost stop.

I have rebuilt the engine (110psi both ways), new fuel pump, new fuel line, cleaned carb, new muffler, new crankcase seals, new reed valves and new belt.

It runs fine other than that, would a new drive clutch help? It has a comet duster clutch on it and I do not know how old. Also the govenor is not adjusted, will that make a difference?

Any help would be apprciated.
Thanks
Jricherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
nomo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87' Marathon weak on hills

Sounds more like the driven (attached to the axle) clutch to me. Put the cart in a safe location and jack up the rear end so the tires are off the ground. I put two jack stands under the rear axle. Then you can run the cart and watch the action of the two clutches. I found that my driven clutch was dirty and gummed up. You can clean all the moving parts and get it working smooth again. There are also little ramp buttons that could be worn. Replace them if they are. Taking the driven clutch off and apart is easy. Getting the spring depressed and the clips back in takes some work. Good luck. nomo
nomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

New clutches on a cart that age will almost always make a huge difference. It's hard to say, though without seeing them in person. The duster is a replacement and who knows if it has been treated fairly in it's lifetime

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
roxyrose08
Getting Wild

Club Car

ya im with nomo, i replaced the ramp buttons on mine and gave her a good cleaning. also just take the governor off completely it make a huge difference.(just dont rev the snot out of it constantly)
roxyrose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm with the veteran Ezgo mechanic on this one 23 yr old driven. Chuck it and a new one will solve this complaint
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO