lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
srichsolow
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 lifted, need steering help

Ok guys I built a 10inch lift for my g1, running 26 inch tires. It drives ok with the steering extensions I made but they sure do flex a lot. So looking for some ideas on the steering please. Pictures would be great! Thanks guys
srichsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 lifted, need steering help

I think we'll need pics of "your" cart and the steering that you have setup now. 10 lift is alot, most of us don't run that kind of lift, so you'll have to show us what you are working with.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
srichsolow
Not Yet Wild

image.jpg

If this is the correct picture you can see my steering extension on the spindle.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
srichsolow
Not Yet Wild

image.jpg

And here is the lift, still have to finish and paint. Thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

Wow, thats a ton of lift for a G1. My two biggest concerns would be the amount of flex that is possible on all of the components, I would be thinking of a way to stabilize and eliminate the possible twisting motion. My second guess is that because of the radical angle of the tie rods you will have a huge amount of bump steer. Most of us don't use this much lift on a G1 because no matter how much body lift you have only the tires get you more ground clearance. My lift is 5" and I'm running 22s easily and I don't know many who are running more than 6" and squeezing 23s. If you really want that much lift I personally would consider an ATV front end for safety sake. Just my opinion, check out Slonomo's build. Good luck
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
srichsolow
Not Yet Wild

The front end will have track bars running back to where I dropped the front mounts on the rear end. So I'm not all to worried about flex. And I already had the tires so I just built the lift to clear them, it's 24" to the floor board. But I know I can get the steering lined out, just seeing what everyone eles was doing, may set it up with a drag link and single tie rod. Or weld a strong back on the bottom of the spindle to help with the flex. Just looking around
Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Cut the steering arms off the bottom of the spindle housing and weld them to the top. Here is a pic of mine. That will get them 4" higher.
With riser plates that tall, you should box them in. Weld a piece between the 'rear-front plate' and the 'front-rear' plate. That will stabilize it better.

1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
srichsolow
Not Yet Wild

Ok thanks that looks like I will help a lot
Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Yama HA G1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I recently did something similar to my g1. I didn't cut and weld though. All I did was swap sides with spindles and flip them upside down like yours. Only problem is the kingpins must go in upside down also. I drove it for a short time recently and it seemed to drive ok. Doe s anyone see a major issue with the kingpins being upside down (the bolt on top)
Yama HA G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha