lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
jwhranger
Gone Wild

Default 2004 precedent pq speed sensor issue

Hello everyone! New to me 2004 precedent serial number starts with pq.
Turn the key on immediately here a click, solenoid? Don't here the click again until you turn the key off, regardless of the position of the pedal. Is this normal?

Cart has a full charge and good batteries, over 52 volts. Will go forward reverse neutral no problem. Cart will go up steep hills easily, pulls hard from zero up to top speed of 8 miles per hour. At one point after unplugging speed sensor and plugging it back in the cart pulled hard up to 20 miles an hour, but once I stopped and then started again only back up to 8 mph and I can't make it duplicate the 20 mph speed again.

Cart will slow itself down and beep at you going down hills.

So before I throw parts at it what do you suggest? New speed sensor and magnet? Not sure I want to go the plum quick route that may be too fast, but if that's going to guarantee to fix my problem then I'll try it or the speedy link etc.

Thanks for the help. And let me know what I can do. To help clarify the problem.
jwhranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
jwhranger
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2004 precedent pq speed sensor issue

Just got off the phone with plum quik, those guys know there stuff and helped me out! Now I just have to decide what I want to do with this cart...so many options.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Cozmick
Not Yet Wild

jwhranger. I'm curious. How was the issue resolved?
Cozmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
jwhranger
Gone Wild

I got a new speed sensor, installed and away I went for about 20 minutes at close to 20 mph then stopped the cart for less than a minute and now I'm back in limp home mode. So I'm at a loss. Traveling right now so I will probably call plum quick when I get back and see if they think sending my motor to them is the best option to fix this problem or if something else is causing this issue.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
jwhranger
Gone Wild

Does anyone know if the speedy link will solve this issue without having to seems my motor in? Not so sure I'm going to keep this cart so I don't want to spend more than I have to to fix this issue, however I do want to fix permanently.

Thank you for any help
Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
jwhranger
Gone Wild

So if I turn the key switch on I go 20 mph. For as long as I keep the pedal pressed. Once I release the pedal and then try to go again I am in limp home mode. Then I turn the key off and then back on I go 20 mph again. Then it goes back in to limp home mode when I stop. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The way you described some of the symptoms sounds like the main drop put problem the early precedents have.

The problem manifested itself during the transition time between drive and regen.

Club car never fixed the problem until the Excel system, all they did was mitigate it by installing a diode before the tow/run switch.

If that diode has failed in the closed position, the controller could sense a false main drop out fail condition. That would behave exactly as you described.

Find the diode in the blue wire before the tow/run switch and test it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_precedent_iq.jpg (1.31 MB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
jwhranger
Gone Wild

Sergio, thank you! Tested the diode and it is closed. Heading to work in s Korea for a month, will replace the diode when I get back and then follow up here.

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
jwhranger
Gone Wild

Replaced the Diode, worked fine for about 5 minutes of stop and go driving now I am back to having to flip the key switch off and on to get out of limp mode. Any idea what is making the diode fail?

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #10
jwhranger
Gone Wild

Clicking sound from motor as well when I drive it. No notice of any heat, etc. Any ideas anyone?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car