Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1996 g-14 low rpm (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=78669)

Joe smith 04-14-2013 08:49 PM

1996 g-14 low rpm

I've tried every thing rebuilt motor new and rebuilt clutches clean carb pretty much replaced every thing but the ignitor or coil it runs at a low rpm then after about 10 to 20 minutes of putting around all the sudden it takes off and runs absolutely great you can tell it has a ton more of rpm I have a ground from battery to the engine to as soon as I let it sit cool down then its back to a crawl and no rpm I've tried every thing I can think of I've check fuel pump carb compression leak down etc. this cart did the same thing before I rebuilt the smoking motor its like the timing isnt advancing Someone please help :help:

spriddle 04-15-2013 09:49 AM

Re: 1996 g-14 low rpm

What does the spark plug look like when it's only running at a crawl? Is it wet with fuel or dry? This could be ignition module, coil, air/fuel mixture due to air leak or vacuum line (especially the one running to the back of the engine), and may even be a stopped up muffler.

Joe smith 04-15-2013 12:54 PM

Spark looks ok plug very dry I have the air box sealed up very tight,I did try running the cart without muffler a week ago figuring the person before me ran it with calapsed oil ring for a long time ran for little still no high rpm just sounds late on timing the weard thing is it will all the sudden run like its brand new ,like to try ignitor box 279$ try if it doesn't work .I was going to check timing today by marking clutch at t.d.c. Pointer on motor pointing at mark check when it's running bad and good to se if it is a lot diffrent with timing light but I broke that little plastic carb joint checking the carb again I'm going nuts trying to figure this out back to the shop for more parts thanks for your help think of anything else let me know

spriddle 04-15-2013 02:10 PM

More than likely it will be the ignition module. That's a lot of money to try though. I really don't know of any way to test those things. Maybe Mike Mac, sho305, or Smallblock can help out here. :thumbup:

Joe smith 04-15-2013 05:15 PM

Going tomorrow to a friend that works a country club he might have amodule I can try I hope let u know

MOOSE 04-16-2013 06:18 AM

:? sounds like the same problem I had...still have :thumbdown:

Was just told by a local guy that he would change the coil?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...roblems-4.html

please keep us updated :help:

Joe smith 04-16-2013 07:51 PM

Well after about 10 to 15 hrs of trouble shooting I finally found it for sure.i figured it was a heat thing so I got out the wife's hair dryer and blew hot air on the module and bam had rpm but what i really found worked I un bolted it and pinched it and had rpm let go of it then low rpm I couldn't believe it I found my problem I put a light spring clamp on it runs every time.i will eventually get a new one.what it was doing is not advancing the timing when it wasn't working.i found that by putting a mark on the clutch at t.d.c. On compression stroke rigged a pointer up off the shroud when it wasn't running right it was advanced very little pinch the module and revved quick advanced back about an inch I used a timing light ill try and post pics

Joe smith 04-16-2013 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope these photos show up I pad doesn't take good photos

Joe smith 04-16-2013 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the other photo

sho305 04-16-2013 08:42 PM

The TCI advances 32 degrees or something over 2500 rpm. When mine would get hot (typically in hot summer weather) it would act funny at low rpm like it was bogging or something. It would lose maybe half its power. One day I was up a backroad a couple miles I said fine, held it on the floor for quarter mile going 20mph or so and all the sudden it took off and actually stopped doing it mostly after that (though it was still down on power when hot). It would run 28-30mph gps on flat ground normally. However it was getting tired so not sure if it was a valve sticking or just loose cylinder or what it was. Always ran synthetic and it never did it in cool weather or when cold, only did this last few years I ran stock engine (never rebuilt, replaced by clone last year).