Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New to this cart stuff... (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=23665)

bozara 09-24-2009 09:59 AM

New to this cart stuff...

I have a farm (flat river bottom for the most part) and want to make a buggy for hunting. I've been lurking for awhile to try and learn what I need to do to a stock electric cart and am ready to get serious. I've found a 48V (1-year old batteries), 2003 Yamaha that the guy wants $2400 for. I know I want to raise it, put bigger wheels/tires, and put in a speed chip (?), as well as a flip back seat. I'm no mechanic, electricity scares me, but I'm reasonably smart...can I do this myself? Can I be "all in" for under $4,000? Thanks in advance.

miferrel 09-24-2009 10:11 AM

Re: New to this cart stuff...

:sign3: To BGW :jump:

trkbilder 09-24-2009 03:03 PM

Welcome to the site!! I'm relatively new to the site so I won't be much help. I think the price is high for a 6 year old cart. Around $1700 would be a lot better. I paid $1200 for a '91 G-9 with new batteries, lights, rear seat and good tires. Most of the time it's what ever the market will bear. Good luck!!! :thumbup:

bozara 09-24-2009 04:35 PM

Thanks for the welcome(s). Yeah, I don't intend to pay the asking price...these are tough times for the seller of most anything. I'm just trying to get an education of high amp controllers, lift kits, wiring upgrades, etc.

trkbilder 09-25-2009 06:37 AM

10-4 You've come to the right place!! :thumbup:

Dryseals 09-27-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozara (Post 287994)
I have a farm (flat river bottom for the most part) and want to make a buggy for hunting. I've been lurking for awhile to try and learn what I need to do to a stock electric cart and am ready to get serious. I've found a 48V (1-year old batteries), 2003 Yamaha that the guy wants $2400 for. I know I want to raise it, put bigger wheels/tires, and put in a speed chip (?), as well as a flip back seat. I'm no mechanic, electricity scares me, but I'm reasonably smart...can I do this myself? Can I be "all in" for under $4,000? Thanks in advance.

If you are willing to drop four grand, then you can probably get one that has all the goodies you want with out going through the learning curve.

But if it's a desire to build one your self, then get after it. But having owned a Yamaha and really going over the suspension in it, I think I would be more prone to different manufacturer. Theres pluses and minuses to each. The Yamaha is probably a better design, but for the mods you want, I would lean more towards a cheaper design.

Take a look around at the lift kits they offer for the different carts and you can see more or less how the suspension design is.

lobo 09-27-2009 01:06 PM

:sign3::wav::thumbup:

bozara 09-28-2009 11:00 AM

Dryseals: Thanks for the input. I am looking at finished carts with the attributes that are important. I have too many hobbies now that I am halfassed proficient at, so I don't need a new one ro which I have no aptitude.