Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Forward Reverse switch melted on forward...have question about replacement part (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=24010)

mbradley35 10-02-2009 08:15 AM

Forward Reverse switch melted on forward...have question about replacement part

Hi,

Does anyone know what the difference is between a regular F/R switch and the heavy duty F/R switch?

I have a 48V 2000 CC Electric DS that we use the heck out of and we've had many problems. I bought it used about 3-4 years ago and maintaining it has been costly. Just put a set of batteries in for $500, whew.

The forward copper bar on the F/R switch was sunk in and had the plastic melted around it and the underneath looked somewhat melted too. I've noticed that the large cables (blue and red) were sometimes warm to touch but didn't know what that meant. These cables go to the motor. The connectors and cables seem to be in good condition.

I'm wondering if I should get the heavy duty F/R switch but didn't know if it's a match to the regular one that I have now with the micro switches on top and all. Does anyone have any info to share? Thanks very much in advance.

John and Melisa

scottyb 10-02-2009 08:21 AM

Re: Forward Reverse switch melted on forward...have question about replacement part

Where are you looking at it? If it is from one of our sponsors I am sure it is the right part :thumbup:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

Xact1 10-02-2009 08:25 AM

Re: Forward Reverse switch melted on forward...have question about replacement part

Excessive heat is usually a sign of resistance somewhere in the cable, or in the connection. It is very possible that the cables look good but are internally corroded. This happened to me and it actually blew the top post off of a battery:shock:

I don't think that it is necessary to upgraded the F/R switch. It is more important that you get the correct F/R switch for your cart, and then check or change all of the cables in question. If you're not sure of the cable condition, change them all. Now's a good time to go to 4 gauge cables if they are 6 gauge.:thumbup:

Xact1 10-02-2009 08:27 AM

Also, many of the site sponsors carry complete 4 gauge cable kits for your cart.:thumbup:

mbradley35 10-02-2009 09:26 AM

Thank all of you for responding. I have ordered the regular F/R switch for my cart and the 4 gauge cable kit. That should take care of the heat problems and just get all the cables replaced and new so I won't have to worry about anyof the rest. I guess this may also give the cart a little boost in power hopefully too.

Xact1 10-02-2009 01:11 PM

Let us know the results!::mrgreen:

GLEEMO 10-03-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xact1 (Post 291457)
Excessive heat is usually a sign of resistance somewhere in the cable, or in the connection. It is very possible that the cables look good but are internally corroded. This happened to me and it actually blew the top post off of a battery:shock:

I don't think that it is necessary to upgraded the F/R switch. It is more important that you get the correct F/R switch for your cart, and then check or change all of the cables in question. If you're not sure of the cable condition, change them all. Now's a good time to go to 4 gauge cables if they are 6 gauge.:thumbup:

I definitely with adding new cables,
and if you are replacing F/R then go with the heavier one it could prevent problems later on.
A ? where in the world did you find 6 x 8Volt batteries for only $500, thats a deal , what type ?

scottyb 10-03-2009 11:22 AM

The stock F&R from CC is pretty stout... Maintain clean and tight connections ... you shouldn't have any more trouble.

mikesmotortoys 10-03-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 291898)
The stock F&R from CC is pretty stout... Maintain clean and tight connections ... you shouldn't have any more trouble.

:iagree: Stock meaning the OEM part:thumbup:

GLEEMO 10-03-2009 11:38 AM

I still disagree with stock, when something fails replace with the best, kinda like #6 to # 4's or putting stock controller back in after a failure.

This is my opinion and only my opinion and as you already see it may or may-not be shared by others in this forum :withstupid: