Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Oil in air filter (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=5006)

slug3266 05-16-2008 08:18 PM

Oil in air filter

Newbie here. I have a 1998 EZGO. It runs great, clocked at 41kmh. The problem is it started blowing all kinds of smoke. I remove the air filter and their is a puddle of oil in there. I clean it out and it does not smoke anymore, but eventually it happens again. I suspect bad rings and that the oil is blowing by then being sucked back into cylinder and burned? Does this sound like the cause of the problem?

groundpounder 05-16-2008 08:29 PM

Re: Oil in air filter

is there to much oil in it. not sure on ezgo but yamaha takes only 1 qt

StoveBolt 05-17-2008 07:53 PM

I'm with Groundpounder, ezgo has a crankcase vent hose going to the air filter box, too much oil and it will suck oil from the crankcase into the filter box, if your cart is lifted you will get a false reading on the dipstick and may be overfull. 1.5 quarts max.

Subarumouse 05-18-2008 06:02 AM

Hello Stovebolt& Co,

Another solution, verry simple and effective.
I read several times, that when lifted, put less oil in it.
Ours has 1.9 ltr, (one.nine) so won.t get quickly to less when there is a leak.
In new raceengines they have no more than 300 cc so when a leak, its in a moment empty.......

How:
We bolted a hose from the top of the engine to a steel bottle, from there a hose back to the bottom of the engine.
On top of the bottle there is also a hose either to the filter, or as we have it to a seperate bottle.
There is almost never oil in the last botle, only a mixture of oil and water when the engine did not arive his temperature.
We closed of the standard oilhose on the engine, under the carb.

On our older aircooled there was a seperate can under the carb, on the engine, that also worked good.
The principle was the same.
On a watercooled there is no place for that.
See my pics here and on www.karting-zone.de

I can make some pics of the "last" type and send it with mail /pm

We had also the problem of pumping al the oil into the head.
That came from the high revs, but is another story with the same result: lack of oil......

Benno

johnusarmy 05-19-2008 07:32 AM

in my expierience, working at an atv dealership, we found this happening pretty often when #1 the engine oil is over full, and #2 the air filter is to plugged, install a new filter and see what happens if u havent already. sometimes if the filter is to dirty the engine can create enough vacuum to pull oil thru the crankcase breather.
good luck, let me know what u find...

rusty 05-20-2008 11:16 PM

Welcome.......................