Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lithium EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   EZGO TXT BigBattery HSKY, Alltrax conversion, 36-48 conversion results (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=178806)

superfan86 08-25-2021 09:57 AM

EZGO TXT BigBattery HSKY, Alltrax conversion, 36-48 conversion results

1 Attachment(s)
I know a lot of folks have been asking about the performance gains from different combos, so I wanted to add another thread for the greater good.

05 EZGO TXT PDS. Stock AMD 36v motor. Factory lift on 22" tires

Stage 1:
Freedom Controller
RoyPow 105 36v

Speed remained the same (20 mph tops). Acceleration and handling excellent. Significant increase in acceleration and torque

Night and day difference between lead acid and likely anyone ever needs.

Stage 2:
Alltrax 400 controller (450 amp peak output configured)
Lead Acid 36v
Comparable acceleration performance to Stage 1, which was surprising. Battery fatigued after about a mile, but still remained better than "stock"
Top Speed increased to 25, but took awhile to get there. Realistic top speed is 22-23.

Stage 3:
Alltrax 400 controller (450 amp peak output configured)
BigBattery HSKY 103 48v (350 amp peak output)
Obviously a huge difference.
Cart does wheelies if floored from a stop (battery is in front tray to help). Top speed 31 MPH and no trouble getting there. 0-25 without any effort and nearly instant. Realistic top speed is about 28. Torque monster and weight reduction makes you forget that curbs exist.
Stock brakes are no longer adequate. YOU NEED TO UPGRADE NOW

Please forgive the wiring mess. Terminal blocks are arriving today...

bronsonj 08-25-2021 12:44 PM

Re: EZGO TXT BigBattery HSKY, Alltrax conversion, 36-48 conversion results

Nice comparison!

Can you shed light on the cost of the BigBattery HSKY 103 48v?

Do you have the controller turned down to 400 or do you have it set to 450? Did you run any logs to see what your max current pull is?

My controller is the 300 (350 max). I have it turned all the way up and while I've never taken a log while towing the trailer I did take logs on the flat level ground with just me in it. Pulling a wheelie took 302 amps and that was the only single datapoint I ever saw over 300 amps. I saw a lot of data points between 280 amps and 295. Just wondering what you're seeing.

Also, the easiest way to clean up the wiring is to just close the seat..... :lhmo:

superfan86 08-26-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronsonj (Post 1847770)
Nice comparison!

Can you shed light on the cost of the BigBattery HSKY 103 48v?

Do you have the controller turned down to 400 or do you have it set to 450? Did you run any logs to see what your max current pull is?

My controller is the 300 (350 max). I have it turned all the way up and while I've never taken a log while towing the trailer I did take logs on the flat level ground with just me in it. Pulling a wheelie took 302 amps and that was the only single datapoint I ever saw over 300 amps. I saw a lot of data points between 280 amps and 295. Just wondering what you're seeing.

Also, the easiest way to clean up the wiring is to just close the seat..... :lhmo:

I paid just under $2400 after 10% coupon (available from various YouTubers) for the whole kit. HSKY Battery, 20 amp charger, and a few Andersen cables that I ended up not needing.

That's about $100 less than the comparable RoyPow 105 kit from my local dealer, and BigBattery has 350 (6s) peak amp draw vs the RoyPow's 250 (3s). That was a significant factor given the addition of the Alltrax and potential future upgrades to the motor that may increase my draw.

Controller is set to 450, just as it shipped from Carts Unlimited. Have not had any issues with cutoff, but I think my motor being a factory 36v may just limit the draw. I'd be very surprised if I was hitting anything close to 400.

I don't have the bluetooth module, so I'm not sure how I could get any logging without going Need for Speed and hooking up the laptop. If I have another option I'd love to know (not familiar with Alltrax usage).

I agree on flipping the seat, but something tells me that terminals wrapped in cardboard to insulate isn't as good a solution as a terminal block lol.

Hope to have my shunt meter hooked up today for more accurate data display

My charger didn't show up on time (my fault for ordering late) so I actually managed to run the cart dead twice. Apparently if you drop below 10% SOC the BMS locks the unit down and when you charge it requires you to restart the charge after it gets back up to a base level 49v. Of course I didn't pay attention after the first recharge, so died again...

once_for_all 08-26-2021 10:22 PM

Very nice setup! I ordered mine today too. It looks like it fits well in the front battery section. Did you do any mods to the frame? How do you intend to strap it down?

Regarding the ring connections, there is a youtube video that shows mounting a positive and a negative post to the M6 screw holes for the wheels. It's on the bigbattery photo slide bar for the husky.

superfan86 08-27-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by once_for_all (Post 1848105)
Very nice setup! I ordered mine today too. It looks like it fits well in the front battery section. Did you do any mods to the frame? How do you intend to strap it down?

Regarding the ring connections, there is a youtube video that shows mounting a positive and a negative post to the M6 screw holes for the wheels. It's on the bigbattery photo slide bar for the husky.

It fits perfectly in the front battery tray. The rear slot I was unable to finesse it past the body of the cart, but I'm sure it could be done. Only disadvantage is that you can't see the digital display easily, but we are all running external meters anyway, so a minor issue.

I've seen a lot of solutions for securing the battery, but currently it is just sitting in the tray. I'm just going to use a short ratchet strap looped around the tray to tie it in.

I saw that video. The guy actually lives about 15 min from me and we emailed a few times prior to my purchase. My only gripe with installing down on that end is all the excess cable. You can save double the length of the HSKY if you run everything directly from the Anderson plug to the controller side.

BigBattery cables are only 6 awg, so I'd like to minimize the lengths given that the rest of the cart is 4 awg. I'm debating on buying some specific length 4 ga once I have everything installed permanently, but the current performance on 6 is already well in excess of my needs so I wonder if I should even bother.

I wanted to future-proof, so I used a a 4 bolt bus bar. Mounted them to the floor of the frame below the controller using an existing hole.

My only oddity at this point is the charger. As I mentioned yesterday I ran it below 10%, so I assumed I'd be in for a long charge, but after 14 hours the fan was still running at I was was 58.2/3 volts.

I plugged in yesterday afternoon and ran quickly up to 53.x volts but plateaued there.

I'm using the BigBattery non-sealed charger 15 amp, so I'm not sure if that is normal behavior or if I need to dial in my voltage more.

BigBattery support said they set the voltage potentiometer screw at the factory, but I was an idiot and messed with it yesterday when it cut off at 49v during my hard kill scenario. I may have reach out today and see if they can provide some guidance.

superfan86 08-27-2021 01:31 PM

Update

Big battery customer service is great on the phone.

Normal behavior for the charger is the fan runs constantly.

100% charge state on the pack will indicate between 53.4v and 58.8v, so all normal there.

As we know, batteries 0-10% SOC voltage jump is huge. 20%-90% is extremely small, less than a volt, and 90-100 again can swing wildly all the way to 58.8

once_for_all 08-27-2021 02:30 PM

Which shunt meter are you using? I am upgrading from a 36volt setup, so need to get one of those. Carts Unlimited has a unit, along with bezel, but it is a straight voltage meter.

It turned out that my last upgrade included a Lester Summit 36/48 and it does have a "lithium" profile so I will try to use it.

I have an older 1600rpm 8hp "beast" 36 volt motor currently installed. And an AllTrax SPM400. Running 23" tractor tires on loose ground, 1-3mph spot weed spraying. Currently only getting 5miles per charge with this setup, on 5 1/2 year old batteries.

Sorry about all the build details, not hijacking...

Am really looking forward to this battery. Great to know it drops right in. I passed on it a couple weeks ago, as my experience with Anderson plugs was limited to the SB50 at the charge outlet....after watching the fenter video, I did some investigating and the SB175 looks up to the challenge.

superfan86 08-28-2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by once_for_all (Post 1848248)
Which shunt meter are you using? I am upgrading from a 36volt setup, so need to get one of those. Carts Unlimited has a unit, along with bezel, but it is a straight voltage meter.

It turned out that my last upgrade included a Lester Summit 36/48 and it does have a "lithium" profile so I will try to use it.

I have an older 1600rpm 8hp "beast" 36 volt motor currently installed. And an AllTrax SPM400. Running 23" tractor tires on loose ground, 1-3mph spot weed spraying. Currently only getting 5miles per charge with this setup, on 5 1/2 year old batteries.

Sorry about all the build details, not hijacking...

Am really looking forward to this battery. Great to know it drops right in. I passed on it a couple weeks ago, as my experience with Anderson plugs was limited to the SB50 at the charge outlet....after watching the fenter video, I did some investigating and the SB175 looks up to the challenge.

I bought a $22 multifunction monitor on Amazon and am already regretting not doing it right and buying the made-for-lithium LNEX or Renogy (several brands, all just white labeled of the same product) meter. The one I have the SOC fluctuates wildly during use because it is using a lead acid profile, which isn't nearly as flat during discharge as lithium.

I set max and min voltages and will see if it works as a reliable "battery gauge" this week as a drive, otherwise I'll be spending more on the nice meter that you program Ah and the meter intelligently does the rest.

My only complaint is the 6 ga wire. It gets HOT under moderate use and I can absolutely tell that my torque is suffering after I swapped out my drive wire with the rest of the kit. I'm going to
order a set of new Anderson 4 ga to length and then everything will be the same.

I do not care for the BigBattery charger. I'll live with it, but the fan running constantly and no charge indicator is really annoying.

Only other complaint is that in unable to use the Bluetooth connectivity, even with their app (available on apple only).

I have tidied everything up now and am very happy with the look. I'm using a 5/16 distribution block that I mounted using the screws for the handle.

bronsonj 08-28-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superfan86 (Post 1848041)
I paid just under $2400 after 10% coupon

BigBattery has 350 (6s) peak amp draw

I don't have the bluetooth module, so I'm not sure how I could get any logging without going Need for Speed and hooking up the laptop. If I have another option I'd love to know (not familiar with Alltrax usage).

I agree on flipping the seat, but something tells me that terminals wrapped in cardboard to insulate isn't as good a solution as a terminal block lol.

Nice price for the full kit! Especially since it has a realistic peak draw. Also the peak draw shown for 6s is pretty awesome. I have never heard of anyone holding that many amps for 6s (although I'm sure some of our drag cart fellas have).

I just purchased the bluetooth module but haven't hooked it up yet. I don't know if it offers logging so the only option I know if is using the laptop.

Ha, yeah, I missed the cardboard. Highly combustible material insulating a high voltage source, what could go wrong??? :) I ended up getting some thin black plastic and using my tin snips and a heat gun to make some pretty little covers to hide my wiring and protect the charger from the environment better. I was always nervous because before I made the covers the buss bars on the top of the lithium batteries I have are just under the back of the seat. If someone dropped a screwdriver back there and didn't know it then opening the seat could be an energetic experience... :shock: So I'm very happy to have the plastic covers in place. :thumbup:

superfan86 08-31-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronsonj (Post 1848520)
Nice price for the full kit! Especially since it has a realistic peak draw. Also the peak draw shown for 6s is pretty awesome. I have never heard of anyone holding that many amps for 6s (although I'm sure some of our drag cart fellas have).

I just purchased the bluetooth module but haven't hooked it up yet. I don't know if it offers logging so the only option I know if is using the laptop.

Ha, yeah, I missed the cardboard. Highly combustible material insulating a high voltage source, what could go wrong??? :) I ended up getting some thin black plastic and using my tin snips and a heat gun to make some pretty little covers to hide my wiring and protect the charger from the environment better. I was always nervous because before I made the covers the buss bars on the top of the lithium batteries I have are just under the back of the seat. If someone dropped a screwdriver back there and didn't know it then opening the seat could be an energetic experience... :shock: So I'm very happy to have the plastic covers in place. :thumbup:

I felt the price was excellent for LiFePo4. I think ExtremeTeam Revolution batteries may offer a slightly better overall "total package" value with a debatably better charger and built in 12v outputs, but I just couldn't wait 90 days for delivery. They also had some conflicting information regarding peak output, referencing both 150 and 350 amp in the documentation.

350 amps over 6s is just absolute overkill, but at this price point, I'd rather have it than need to buy something else down the road. 10 years of expected life means that maybe one day I buy a 2nd battery and run a 96v golf cart...

BB also offers the BDGR NMC kit for an astonishing $1600 delivered, but living in this South Carolina heat I just didn't feel comfortable with the ability of that chemistry to cope with the extreme temperatures and not degrade in my garage.

I'm ordering custome cables from batterycablesUSA. They specialize in cut-to-length terminated cables and are quite reasonable in price. My brother used them for his datsun pickup and was happy. Given the nature of these Lithium kits, none of the site sponsors really offer anything that meets my need.