Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Decisions, Decisions... DCS to PDF Conversion??? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=86709)

CedzGo 10-13-2013 11:50 AM

Decisions, Decisions... DCS to PDF Conversion???

Good Morning, BGW

Newbie here needing some advice... I've read and researched so much that I've honestly confused myself. LOL...

Alright: Here's the situation. I have a 36v 1998 EzGo txt (DCS), with an Alltrax 400a controller and stock motor. Everything else is stock. I couldnt've been happier with the performance. It would chirp the tires on take off, and run 22 mph all day without breaking a sweat.

Now comes the issue: My controller is blown, and no longer operable. I've tested the solenoid, motor, and controller separately. My local buggies store has informed me that the DCS with the weakened FNR switch are just not very reliable to begin with, and suggested that we components be switched out to the more reliable PDS components.

I have no problem with that at all, if it's completely necessary. My worry is the possible performance loss. I test drove a stock PDS, and it struggled to get to 13 mph. My question is: What can I expect with the stock PDS motor and a 400a controller? Will my performance be on par with what I previously had. Logically, it should be, but man, that stock PDS was rediculously slow, and once you've been bitten by the speed bug, you can't go back to stock.

I'm tempted to just replace the controller, and keep going. How bad are the DCS TXT's? Will I regret not doing the conversion while I have the chance, or will the DCS continue to give me issues?

I'm also considering 22 inch wheels to replace the stock wheels and tires I'm running now.

Thanks Team BGW!!!

caddymankc 10-13-2013 12:12 PM

Re: Decisions, Decisions... DCS to PDF Conversion???

you see more pds carts burning up controllers than a series cart, sounds like they are just trying to make more money off of you, and a pds cart controller cant handle bigger tires for very long. but the pds carts are quicker on flat ground with the right jumper plug.

CedzGo 10-13-2013 12:26 PM

Thanks for the reply!!!

Didn't know the PDS carts were that notorious for burning up controllers. I do want the speed, but if it's not reliable, or doesn't have any longevity.

For the money, I could just replace my current controller, and it souds like I'd have the same or better level of reliability?

crash test dummy 10-13-2013 12:34 PM

if it works well why upgrade ? your gonna lose a little with the bigger tires but not enough to justify the cost if the up grade

JohnnieB 10-13-2013 12:59 PM

A stock PDS cart will reach about 19MPH in Freedom mode and about 13 or 14 in the other three performance modes, but both a PDS and a DCS use the same DCX controller. A DCX in a DCS is Plug-n-Play while a control wiring adapter is needed to install a DCX in a PDS.

With a DCX400 feeding a stock DCS motor, it has more torque than a stock PDS motor, but the PDS motor will have a little more speed. (About 24MPH @36V on stock tires vs the 22MPH you are getting)

The F/R switch for both are both low-current switches. The dash mounted PDS F/R rocker switch can be used in a DCS cart by adding a diode to it.

Cost: A few dollars for the switch and a few penny's for the diode, plus a few feet of wire.

Any SPDT/Center-Off switch will work, and it can be mounted almost anywhere if you don't like to reach to the passenger side of the dash to select direction of travel.

I agree, it does sound like you local buggy store might be trying to rip you off.

If the stock DCS motor is good, there is no need to change it.
The stock DCS F/R switch is just as strong as the stock PDS F/R switch, or at least close enough that switching from one to the other before it fails is a matter of choice or location preference rather than a reliability issue.

Personally, I'd replace the DCX400 controller (if it is truly bad) with a DCX500 and install a Super-Duty (400A) solenoid if I was going to run 22" tires.

Mathematically, 22" tires will kick you top speed up by 18%, but they will have more rolling resistance, so you wont see that much gain.

When you have to replace the batteries, going to 7 x 6V (42V) or 6 X 8V (48V) will up both the speed and torque.

JohnnieB 10-13-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CedzGo (Post 942780)
Thanks for the reply!!!

Didn't know the PDS carts were that notorious for burning up controllers. I do want the speed, but if it's not reliable, or doesn't have any longevity.

For the money, I could just replace my current controller, and it souds like I'd have the same or better level of reliability?

Actually, it is the stock DCS controller that is notorious for failing. It has no under-volt protection.

Neither a stock PDS controller nor DCS controller will last long turning taller than stock tires or moving heavier loads than two golfers and their clubs. Series drive systems tolerate that type of abuse better than Sepex drive system.

However, the instant a DCX controller was installed, it was no longer a stock DCS cart, so the reliability issues were gone.

I'm not sure how you managed to take out a DCX400, but I do know it can be done. :mrgreen:

CedzGo 10-13-2013 01:19 PM

Wow. Some good replies here, and it looks like the popular concensus is what I was tempted to do in the first place. Upgrade the controller, and keep it moving...

Didn't know that they both can use the same controller. That's good information. I think I'm opting to go with just the controller upgrade, and higher amperage solenoid. I don't really want to replace my motor until I do a 48v upgrade (or sooner if I can't shake this NFS bug). Dang this stuff is addictive.

Any benefit with upgrading to a HD FNR switch at this time, or can I hold off in case I do a 48v upgrade in the future?

Also: If I'm reading correctly, the controller can work with a 36v and a 48v system, correct?

JonnieB: So, the stock controllers are the weak point in both DCS and PDS carts, correct?
As for taking out the DCX400 (clears throat for embarrasing honesty), I was doing some routine maintenance checking my cables, and water level in batteries, etc, so my run/tow switch was on and off as I checked my progress. Once I finished that up, I started on my key switch upgrade to a barrel key instead of a stock key switch. Once I was done, I heard the selenoid click while I was getting my multimeter ready for testing. Dang. I thought the switch was in TOW. No more clicking after that. From there, I removed the controller cover, and found the large black and white wire had welded themselves to the controller, and grounded some stuff out. I guess the contoller took the brunt of it. Figures: It's the most expensive part, so, of course, it had to be the thing to break... :cry:

yurtle 10-13-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnieB (Post 942787)
Any SPDT/Center-Off switch will work...

As long as it's not momentary. Ask me how I know. :mrgreen:

Not a FNR, but a LED dome light with bright, off, dim.

crash test dummy 10-13-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yurtle (Post 942801)
As long as it's not momentary. Ask me how I know. :mrgreen:

nope not gonna ask ! :lhmo:

CedzGo 10-13-2013 01:55 PM

Lol. This is a far cry from the muscle cars I'm accustomed to building...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2