Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G1 is latest edition to the stable (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=98241)

1970buick 08-27-2014 07:27 PM

G1 is latest edition to the stable

5 Attachment(s)
I bought my first gas cart today, 1979 G1 gas cart. I am very familiar with electric carts, having a precedent and G29, but this is my first attempt with a gas motor buggy. I went to look at it today and the guy sold it for $100. It is not pretty by any means but it is all there and I think it could be a sweet retro looking cart! I plan to add rear buckets and have it looking resto-mod "ish". I need to get her running first though. Owner said it left him stranded this past week and he didn't want to fool with it. When you turn the key to forward or reverse it turns over very well. It seems as though it is not getting any gas. My first thought was fuel pump, filter, or lines. Well, I found the fuel line not hooked up to the carb and a big gash in it. I will start here and then see where it goes! Wish me luck and I look forward to being a part of the gas crowd....

86G1monster 08-27-2014 07:36 PM

Re: G1 is latest edition to the stable

good luck man and welcome to the g1 club they are so easy to work on and mod. oh congrats on the steal by the way:thumbup:

Cvans 08-27-2014 07:56 PM

That's 300% nicer than mine was and you got yours for a lot less money. Good luck with the new cart!

1970buick 08-27-2014 08:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. It does need some work. I am debating on keeping it completely stock for the old school look or lifting it 4" and adding bigger wheels and low profile tires. Decisions, decisions. I need to get it running first and do a tune up!

stalt 08-29-2014 08:17 PM

Check the butterfly valve before the muffler. There are 2 springs holding the muffler on. The throttle linkage is attached. Mine rusted shut this spring and quit. I took it apart, cleaned it up put it back together and it ran better than ever. Easy and cheap to fix. Hope it helps

gray horse 09-01-2014 06:51 AM

Welcome to the G1 club and congrats on the buy.

1970buick 09-01-2014 08:21 PM

Got it up and running for first time today. I believe it is going to need new seals/rings. Everything has been pretty simple to work on so far. Cant wait to get this thing rolling.

1970buick 09-03-2014 06:59 PM

Re: G1 is latest addition to the stable

2 Attachment(s)
Took the clutch cover off tonight to clean it up and get ready for the seal replacement. Well, I thought I heard some metal pinging around in there. Seems as if something has broken. Any idea if these parts are replaceable? Looks like they might be... Any help on what to search for or where to find is appreciated.

slonomo 09-03-2014 08:42 PM

I'd be looking for a new clutch. I'm sure you can rebuild the clutch with all new weights, but it's going to cost you as much as a good used clutch.

The weights and pins wear on these clutches, and when they are really worn out sometimes you have failures. When they wear they no longer fit tightly and pivot properly which can cause the weights to hang up and eventually they will break. Once this happens it's usually beyond repair and it's best to replace it.

With that said, you can use a clutch from any G1, G2, and G9, as long as you are not going to use the factory oil pump. The G1 clutches have a gear on the hub that work with the oil pump. So if you use a G2/G9 clutch it won't have the gear so you'll have to premix the gas/oil. Most people will premix anyway because the oil pump can fail and cause engine damage.

Post an ad in the "Parts" section that you are looking for a good used clutch. I'd look to pay about $75-$100 for a decent used unit and $150 for a clean low hour unit. New ones are $300.

1970buick 09-03-2014 09:00 PM

Is there a way to date the clutch that is in it now? It has 3 weights. The previous owner bypassed/disabled the oiler and was premixing fuel. I will look for a used clutch in the meantime. Thanks! Could this have caused the up and down rpms while holding the gas pedal down? I am still replacing the seals and cleaning everything else up. The frame was surprisingly rust free after a good degreasing! I have seen ezgo's in much worse shape that were only a decade old. These things must have been built right with the best materials available. I am hooked on this cart!