Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Does a machined driven clutch lower top speed? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=79566)

SoCal 05-01-2013 07:21 PM

Does a machined driven clutch lower top speed?

I am seeking more torque at (very) low speeds, will a machined driven clutch drop my top speed in addition to increasing the low end?

dbmachine 05-01-2013 10:20 PM

Re: Does a machined driven clutch lower top speed?

from the research ive done you will see better bottom end gains and smoother operation but you will lose just a touch on the top end..adjusting the governor and or a speed spring will get you back to higher speeds though..i would rather have better bottom end power for acceleration, pulling and working which is 90% of my driving..top speed only to get me to the next deer plot when prospecting

sho305 05-02-2013 09:30 PM

Should not affect the top end that I know of, unless they machined the entire clutch down. The cut only is on the inside so they close together more, its where they touch in the center. If you put a big spring in there some of those will indeed kill some top speed. If you tighten the belt too much or use a short belt that will hurt top speed, but help bottom end typically. In general you want it tight as you can and the cart not take off at idle, that is in the right area of adjustment for the best of both far as belt length or adjustment.

IMO a machined sheave will help you the most for towing/low speed/take off power. You can also get a kevlar HD belt from CPP they are little wider they also help. More money than stock belt but also should last longer and supposedly are more efficient. They do bend easier, but anyway it works great on my cart and I'll tell you about the machined sheave soon as I have time to install it. I put one on another cart it worked really well at <5mph, and really helps takeoff because it gets high rpm faster. Later put a clone in that cart and it hits full rpm in about 2 seconds from not running takeoff (with gen start on it and stock clutches). Also check your tension cable if you have a yamaha with one.

Note that I don't have a governor on my cart, I tested top speed with gps when I was adjusting the tension cable that pulls the engine away from the trans. Top speed was the same until a point where it dropped when the cable was too tight.

BrewCityMusic 05-02-2013 09:56 PM

Don at Plowmans set me up with a rebuilt/Machined Driven, an entirely new heavy-spring rear, and of course a series of engine mods ... but I DID run the cart with the clutches alone (prior to installing the new Engine stuff) and the difference was just as described above, huge bottom end for hills, faster takeoff/RPM gains, and the top end stayed within 1mph of before the mods.

NOW, that said, talk to Don at Plowmans (Site Sponsor) about doing a Yami RIGHT, I had to break things in for a few weeks but I now hit 35 with 2 people on the flats, 38 by myself - it's insane. Total cost from stock was around $400, unreal. With my EZGO's, I pissed around time and money-wise buying "this Clutch upgrade" and welding together "THIS snakeoil Mod" and buying "THIS next miracle" etc etc - I'm not saying that any other seller, etc couldn't achieve the same results, but the price with Don's work doesn't even come CLOSE to the level of performance You'll gain, trust me.

BTW, a wider belt can wreak havoc with itself if You aren't set up for it correctly ... Yeah, it's a "cheap fix" but long-term, meh - not so much - call it 800lbs of cart loaded with a little 301cc engine trying to carry the load, NOW you want to throw an entirely different trajectory into a clutch system that wasn't really designed for performance? Do the math, that belt will help like crazy but it's still the weak link and/or "wear point" in your powertrain - and after a few hundred hours, another expense to start over (replete with the added stresses to the rest of the REAL expensive stuff)

Just my two cents, use basic logic and engineering skills and conclude for yourself :)

dbmachine 05-02-2013 10:33 PM

when i spoke to don at plowmans he said that the erlandson xtreme duty im using actually hurts performance because they tested it.. my oem belt was shredded so i opted for the xtreme belt since it was only 35$..really wanna try the plowmans extreme performancce kit but at close to 400$ money is tight these days

BrewCityMusic 05-03-2013 07:58 AM

I'll tell Ya, if you can figure out a way to free up the $$ his "Hot Setup" is absolutely amazing bang for the buck, added a solid 8-9mph on the top end of my G16 and the torque is amazing, where I'd run into hill issues before (I live at an old ski resort so hills have always been my biggest trouble) *now* I can go up basically anything and if it IS too much for the cart, the tires will lose traction before the cart loses power ... With the HS too, You get new machined Driven Sheaves and spring, so that's half the clutch battle right there.

Like I said, I've built/rebuilt several carts over the past few years, and nothing has impressed me like Don's "Hot Setup" and clutch work, dollar for dollar (except maybe the 180w LED light bar I put on the G16, LOL - another spendy toy but COMPLETELY changed night riding for me)

sho305 05-05-2013 01:37 PM

The HD CPP belt is only 1/16" wider, and if you have old worn clutches would actually be better for them. It sits higher in the secondary just like a cut sheave would help it do. If it changes top speed its not much. IIRC it was $50. It is a top and bottom cogged belt. Forget the brand at the moment.

dbmachine 05-05-2013 05:35 PM

It's made by erlandson better known as the owner of EPI. The belt did help my since my clutches are worn. Don said the extreme belt is designed for a 300hp engine not a 15 hp cart.

sho305 05-05-2013 07:11 PM

My friend has a stock 900cc 150hp sled, and he only wishes in his wildest dreams he could buy a belt for $50! That belt has more flex than the stock one. Well who knows maybe it sucks, but it certainly works better on my cart I ran them back to back twice in a row to test.