Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Yamaha governor bypass (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=877)

gary 06-05-2007 06:59 PM

Yamaha governor bypass

ok well since ive had alot of people wondering just how to do this i took some pics and here are some pictures showing the way to re route the cable from the pedal to the carb....

well first you need to disconnect the end of the smaller cable from the carb. then trace it back to the gov (shown below on the top of the rear end) and disconnect it from there too.....you can throw this cable away or have yourself a good ole' fashioned lynchin...well never mind that just you dont need it anymore....then you disconnect the end of the cable coming from the pedal off of the gov arm. you gov will now have no cable connected to the gov arm at all and will look like this

https://s26.postimg.org/vtqbcaund/golfcart124.jpg

now you re route the cable from the pedal behind the starter/gen and over to the carb.

https://s26.postimg.org/bowr6u0tl/golfcart125.jpg

https://s26.postimg.org/t0x3s9uax/golfcart126.jpg

now connect the cable to the carb opening and adjust it as best you can there to get the carb to open fully when the pedal is to the floor and ESPECIALLY make SURE it closes all the way when the pedal is off or els you will have backfiring....

you probably will have to take the bolt off the shaft the GAS pedal is attatched to, pull the gas pedal off, and rotate it towards the seat on notch in the shaft. this will give you more pedal travel so that the carb will be able to open all the way.

https://s26.postimg.org/xcqav0qll/golfcart127.jpg

now you have successfully bypassed your stupid governor and will have much higher top end and MUCH crisper throttle response....

DISCLAIMER: do not run the cart at wide open throttle for long periods of time or engine damage can result...either use your calibrated ear hole to tell when your over revving or buy a $30 tach to monitor your RPM"s...good luck, happy carting....

cartin AK 06-05-2007 07:29 PM

Thank you Gary

MoltoMario 06-05-2007 08:11 PM

I just did this with the help of Gary....Man Did it make a diff...Thanks a Bunch Gary

-Mario

NO NO NO E-Z-GO! 06-05-2007 08:37 PM

Does this also apply for the G16 and up carts? :?:

spriddle 06-05-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Does this also apply for the G16 and up carts? :?:

Yes. The carb. is in a different location, but the hookup is the same.

TheNewGuy 06-06-2007 05:09 AM

Good post Gary, thank you. 8)

NO NO NO E-Z-GO! 06-06-2007 05:54 AM

Is there a way to keep the governor in use but speed it up like there is on E-Z-GOs? :?: I have to do this for the head of security's cart and I don't want him blowing it up and then blowing me up. :shock:

spriddle 06-06-2007 07:32 AM

Tighten the 10mm nut on the governor.

NO NO NO E-Z-GO! 06-06-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spriddle
Tighten the 10mm nut on the governor.

Thanks! :-D

cartin AK 08-04-2007 12:58 PM

Re: Yamaha governor bypass

Finally bypassed the govenor on the 8, big improvment. I cheated and just removed the arm and connected the 2 cables at that point. Did any one have to mess with thi micro switch? At slow speeds it will kick off and on.

NO NO NO E-Z-GO! 08-04-2007 03:35 PM

You will probably have to put a little more cable towards the pedal with the adjustment end of the cable. I did this same mod today and had good results. I also put a jet and a K&N in the carb. It runs great but acts like it wants to bog when you get on it. Probably a fuel and air mixture problem.

cartin AK 08-04-2007 07:32 PM

I have no bog or hesitation, it will not go at slow speeds the switch will click. How do you make it key start? Same as the EZ-GO?

NO NO NO E-Z-GO! 08-04-2007 07:54 PM

Move the threaded end of the cable towards the front of the cart. If I remember correctly, they're 10mm nuts. I have no idea how to make an E-Z-GO key start. Even less on a Yamaha. I can do it on a Club Car, but that's it.

caddymankc 08-05-2007 10:29 AM

you might be able to just jump the micro switch for the pedal this should just let the engine running whenever the key is on but a better carts clutch might just engage right away?

NO NO NO E-Z-GO! 08-05-2007 10:30 AM

Ask that again in the form of a question. :-P

Yamaha clutches engage as soon as they're spun since they have no stall spring in them.

caddymankc 08-05-2007 11:11 AM

ok then my ezgo had a really worn clutch i would be able to hit the gas about 2 inches untill it started to move

shawn.m 08-21-2007 02:45 PM

a picture of the two cables connected together
http://usera.imagecave.com/sdmayhew/DSC07406.JPG

Punisher 08-26-2007 08:44 PM

I have just done this to my G9 and wow what a difference. Thanks a ton for the play by play with the pics, it was a big help!

blakehenry00 08-26-2007 10:02 PM

For the G16 to "idle" take out the pedal inspection cover and look behind the gas pedal. Flip the Micro upside down and the cart will "idle".

Yamaha4life 11-11-2007 12:13 PM

hmmmmm, i didnt have to do any of that on my g2 back when it was stock...

see the cable that hooks to the carb, its L shaped, just straighten the joint out and tighten the screw on it and wala, it bypasses it. then if you want it slow again just loosen the screw....

Brian Saunby 02-19-2008 12:00 PM

Re: positrack

I have a 1990 G2 with a 4" lift kit I would like to install a positrack locking differantial is this posable?

shawn.m 02-19-2008 12:41 PM

no
only the redneck way locker - weld the gears up. Or a member was looking at machining a spool up

Brian Saunby 02-19-2008 12:48 PM

Thanks Shawn I had read the C9 had a pos dif but did not know if it would fit.

shawn.m 02-19-2008 12:56 PM

the only posi for Yamaha Golf Carts is the buggies unlimited for 99 up G16. no room in the g2-g9 early g16

pokie 03-13-2008 10:01 PM

I have a 2008 Yamaha Drive. The book said it was gov. to 12 mph. Can you tighten the 10 mm nut to speed it up like the older carts. 12 is too slow.
That is why I call myself Pokie

shawn.m 03-13-2008 10:33 PM

yes search on my name for pics of how to do it on a g9 same principle

Yamaha4life 03-16-2008 04:14 PM

I finnally decided to ditch it today and hook the two cable directly up. It took a couple minutes getting it just right but its noticably quicker and the top speed is alot better.

Thanks!

mikesmotortoys 03-16-2008 04:21 PM

Make sure that the throttle cable doesn't have too much slack in it. They all stretch in time and this is a BIG improvement. You'll need 1/2 inch open end for this...

mwest 03-29-2008 08:05 PM

will this work on a G16 .the pic of the cable is where my muffler is ?
and i done even know what the real year is JN6 ??

spriddle 03-29-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwest (Post 60390)
will this work on a G16 .the pic of the cable is where my muffler is ?
and i done even know what the real year is JN6 ??

You can hook the throttle cable directly to the carb. for a tremendous gain in top end. Just be mindful of your rpm's. G16's will scream after bypassing the governor. I suggest running a good synthetic.

mwest 03-29-2008 08:52 PM

great I have the best oil treatment called BiTron I am running it in the fuel plus the octane boost If you want Check Out http://mwest.bitronglobal.biz/

Yamaha4life 04-02-2008 08:34 PM

I liked it till I saw the big thing on the main page about that lie liberals call "global warming!" I guess we all forgot about the "global freezing" democrap said we were gona have back in the seventies huh? :thumbup::roll:

Sorry for going off topic I apoligize just had to say that...

mwest 04-03-2008 12:45 PM

you are right it did make a big diff.
what do you think
I just drilled a few holes in the air box and am going to order a K&N should i change the jetting or try the air set screw on the carb first ?

spriddle 04-03-2008 01:06 PM

More than likely you'll have to change the jet. More air means more gas. :thumbup:

mwest 04-03-2008 07:17 PM

I called Don today and sent him the air box & carb
I am going to go with the power package

spriddle 04-04-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwest (Post 61243)
I called Don today and sent him the air box & carb
I am going to go with the power package

Let us know how it turns out. :thumbup:

WOOBA! 04-09-2008 04:22 PM

Gary, you da man! I did it last night and made a big difference in top end. Easy too. Took about 45 minutes. I'll have to make some very slight adjustments for the pedal because you barely hit the pedal and it MOVES.

mwest 04-09-2008 08:52 PM

Well I just got everything done Runs realy good but I think I still need to adj.the card some . It kind of pops a little & i smell gas a lot Too

spriddle 04-10-2008 07:43 AM

Check the throttle to make sure it is completely closing when you let off the pedal. If not and adjusted properly, you might have to install a heavier return spring to pull the throttle back to closed. I had to do this on my G9.

Graham325 04-15-2008 04:36 PM

Ive got my screw turned in a bit on my g1, but I read this on bu and wondered if anyone could explain it a bit better
Quote:

Beware of using a longer screw to make your cart go faster. A longer screw puts extra tension on the govenor fork and it can actually break off in side the transmission. After that happens the fork will get munched up in the gears and bearings. Look for previous threads on how to bypass the govenor. The better bet is to drill out the govenor arm slotted hole on top so the arm free floats on the shaft.