Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Workhorse and MPT...I have my work cut out for me (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170193)

JPonLKN 10-19-2020 09:05 AM

Workhorse and MPT...I have my work cut out for me

3 Attachment(s)
Well, they are here...at least two of them. There are more where they came from too. :shock: Just need to get one up and running and functional, and the other is mine. The MPT appears to be intact, other than a battery. It reportedly only backfires through the carb, but won't run...motor was reportedly rebuilt in Augusta and hasn't worked since. Need to do some diagnostics on it, figure out why it won't run and fix it.
Attachment 210448

The Workhorse needs the motor put back in...I have two "re-built" motors, one MCI and one Pre-MCI. Missing some parts...but will need to do a full inventory and then go back and grab what is missing. I have personally seen three more workhorses, and there are reportedly a few more under a cover somewhere else on the property...lots of misc. parts in the shop(s), so just need to know what I am looking for and do some digging. Then, need to figure out which, if either of the motors provided actually run. Supposedly both have been bench run, but one is missing the flywheel, so that statement is possibly a stretch. Either way, no timeline, and will be a while before I can get into them in any significant way. This is just the place to keep track of progress on them.
Attachment 210445 Attachment 210446

Should be a "fun" experience, but hopefully the diagnostic effort is worth the needy cart in the end.

Cartmaster 10-19-2020 09:37 AM

Re: Workhorse and MPT...I have my work cut out for me

Watching this one! If you decide to go with the mci engine you will need the correct ignition parts, coil, exhaust etc to go with it.

JPonLKN 10-19-2020 10:35 AM

The MPT has a Pre-MCI engine in it...and I have everything that I need from an ignition stand point that are known functional from my Pre-MCI TXT 295 that I pulled for my big block swap discussed in other threads. It is also generally complete and in the cart...appears to be with all correct parts except belts and starter generator, which I have three to choose from. I am hoping this one will be easy to get up and running.

The two motors that I got for the other machine (Workhourse) are an MCI 295, that clearly has some 350 parts on it. The model number on the timing cover is for a Robin 35, but the stamp on the case between the mounting bolts clearly depicts a 295. Exhaust manifold is cast into the head, so it is Pre-MCI. It does have the MCI coil pack with it, but it doesn't have a flywheel. Will the Pre-MCI flywheel work on the MCI motor? How can I tell the difference?

The other motor is a pre-MCI 350, and I have a pair of Pre-MCI coils for it. No idea if they are any good or not. I did grab a pre-mci exhaust manifold for it and a muffler.

Also, I don't know what else is missing from the machines or engines. We were in a bit of a hurry loading up, and I planned on doing a complete inventory of them, and going back to the shop with a grocery list of items that I need. I know I don't have intake manifolds or carbs for either motor, although I suspect the intake and carb from my old 295 will work on the pre-MCI 350.

kgsc 10-19-2020 10:46 AM

Maybe a 350 with a 295 head?

JPonLKN 10-19-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgsc (Post 1771935)
Maybe a 350 with a 295 head?

I doubt it...these were not being rebuilt for performance...strictly work machines, so its likely they are a MCI 295 with 295 head, and a pre-MCI 350 with 350 head. Sounds like they sent them 350 cores, and got a variety of motors back...some without all the required parts. The problem is that they were done a couple years ago and have been sitting on the bench since, so information is a bit sketchy.

I did get a call that new carbs and clutches in boxes are waiting on me, a 57 5/8" brake cable, and some other stuff is waiting on a machine with the body already off. The two machines I just got have a little body damage, so I will be looking at what was take off the other machine to see if its in better condition. Sounds like there is a pile of parts at the storage area as well.

CP241 10-19-2020 06:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought 2 of those in about the same condition, both 2008’s. And a club car carryall, all for $225 :thumbup:

1 of the MPT’s was too rusted to save but it had a hydro locked MCI in it that was 100% complete. The other with great body and frame had a predator 420 half-installed. I rebuilt the MCI motor and swapped the whole thing into the predator cart, and ditched the predator. Cart ran awesome, sold it for 1500 bucks. Passed the savings on to someone else, had too many carts at the time LOL.

On the bad one, I just parted out what was good and scrapped the rest of the rusty one.

Then rebuilt the carryall (motor, body, everything) and made it really nice. Drove it until recently when I traded it for a 48v DS that was a bit more “neighborhood cruiser friendly”.

Gotta love good deals on fun projects :thumbup:

JPonLKN 10-19-2020 07:31 PM

Yeah, I don't know which one I will keep yet, or if I will even keep it. Since I have a Predator 670, its loud as all get out..so either of these will be more useful, and certainly more neighborhood noise friendly...I guess a lot will depend on the frames and how well they end up running, etc. Sounds like you got a good deal on yours.

Cartmaster 10-20-2020 12:21 AM

For what it is worth, my take on this would be to see if you can make up a 350 pre MCI with a Pre MCI 295 head on it. this will give you about 20hp and all standard pre MCI parts will work with it. The MCI stuff i would sell on as you will make a premium on that stuff. An MCI head new runs a grand easily and used value is good, as is the cores! the other stuff, is all saleable as parts for the earlier models are getting scarce. I would also check what front suspension and steering the machines have on them as the earlier (pre 2001.5) is the better setup. Thats the one with a tube axle and 3 bolt steering column. As opposed to the folded axle with steering rack bolted to it. This is just my opinion and others may say otherwise.

The main reason i would use the older style engine is that the MCI oil feed to the head can be an issue and any loss of oil pressure will wreck the head where the camshaft runs in the non bearing seat.

JPonLKN 10-20-2020 08:47 PM

Ok...can I use a pre MCI flywheel on a MCI engine? Any difference between 295 and 350 flywheels? If so, school me. I will be going to the bone yard and need to pick the parts I need. Not familiar with the delta between the flywheels on those four engines

Unfortunately, not my stuff to sell...I get to use what's neccessary to make two machines work, and I get one at the end. Like I said earlier, there are a bunch more of these machines, so extra parts will be directed that way first. Once these two are done, I see another identical deal down the road with two more machines or four more machines. The deal is a bit fluid, and parts they have are available to use, but I am not gonna sell their parts, unless it funds the builds and they are aware. I need to see the rest of the inventory before we get there though...wouldn't want to sell something I will have to end up buying. Good ideas though Cart!

CP241 10-20-2020 09:06 PM

The MCI and pre MCI are not interchangeable. They look similar but are very different motors. I like the pre mci motors but due to oil issues as CM said, I don’t like the design of the MCI at all.