Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Paint or actual plastic can’t tell (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=154200)

Tommybh 06-20-2019 12:44 PM

Paint or actual plastic can’t tell

4 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me if this is paint or plastic I can’t tell it’s a g16 Yamaha front cowl and how would you fix this

Thanks so much in advance guys

Shepard 06-20-2019 01:10 PM

Re: Paint or actual plastic can’t tell

Most likely a jell coat sprayed in the mold then injected with plastic.

Mooncarter 06-20-2019 01:22 PM

Those gouges look pretty deep and plentiful. I think I would replace it.

meimk 06-20-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooncarter (Post 1627698)
Those gouges look pretty deep and plentiful. I think I would replace it.

To the best of my knowledge those aren’t made anymore. Tried to find a replacement for a customer last year and had to settle for whatever we could find from salvage

Lochlin 06-20-2019 01:47 PM

Indeed, that's a jell-coat. I have done body work on those before. Bondo holds on it no problem. Personally, I would just fill the gouges with filler, prime it and then repaint it.

If you take a sample (heck, I would take the entire cowl) to an auto body paint shop they will match the paint perfect for you. They can put the paint in a rattle can if needed as well. The finish isn't as smooth with the rattle can but it will be more smooth then it would be with a big box store rattle can.

Mooncarter 06-20-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meimk (Post 1627702)
To the best of my knowledge those aren’t made anymore. Tried to find a replacement for a customer last year and had to settle for whatever we could find from salvage

Yeah I just did a quick search and only found a couple (front and rear) and they were crazy expensive.

He might find one local or have to fix that one.

Tommybh 06-24-2019 06:23 AM

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate your help so Bondo to fill those in but not sure what kind of prep work I should do before I repaint the entire thing does it need any sort of plastic adhesive prep or just sand and prime thanks guys

Lochlin 06-24-2019 06:38 AM

I just buffed, primed, and squirted mine. 5 years later and it still looks great. I use real auto paint and not rattle can for what it's worth.

Tommybh 06-24-2019 11:01 AM

Do I sand all the red off is it paint or red gel coat i have no idea on that stuff

CP241 06-24-2019 12:17 PM

I always try to strip it down to bare plastic before painting.

Klean Strip furniture stripper comes in an aerosol can that makes it MUCH easier to apply. Spray it on, wait 15 minutes, and blast it with a pressure washer. Paint gone. It may take 2 applications but that's by far the easiest way to take it down to bare plastic. Then fix any deep gouges/scratches/etc. Then apply adhesion promotor, primer, paint, and clear.