Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric golf carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Star golf cart (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=22846)

AirBorneArt 09-07-2009 12:48 PM

Star golf cart

Well the motor still gets real hot, I noticed one of the wire connetions was a little loose. I carefully tightened it and noticed it seems to spin, it will tighten but not all the way. Can this be replaced or am I looking at having to buy a new motor?

mikesmotortoys 09-07-2009 01:06 PM

Re: Star golf cart

We've never worked on a Star car, but I'm sure the motor is similar to other brands. Those lugs are connected to your brush contacts. They are not meant to "turn" or "spin". I don't think you need a new motor - but you will probably need to take it somewhere to check your motor / lugs...

Wasn't there a bottom nut close to the motor, then the wire lug and finally the top nut?

GLEEMO 09-07-2009 01:17 PM

So You hold the bottom steady and tighten the top

mikesmotortoys 09-07-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmorrison (Post 277693)
So You hold the bottom steady and tighten the top

Ooops :iagree: That's what I meant:thumbup:

GLEEMO 09-07-2009 01:50 PM

I knew, but everyone is not as smart (A55) as I :lhmo:

AirBorneArt 09-07-2009 02:14 PM

Thanks Fellas, The whole post turns, I tightened the bottom bolt but it still moves a bit side to side. Would this cause the motor to get smoking hot? I have put it in tow mode and come back an hour later and it is still smoking hot. I had to diconnect the Pos and Neg terminals that go to the controller to cool it down. Can the motor be taken apart and that post be replaced? There is a metal cover on one side that looks to be removable can the post be accessed from there, or do I need to remove the whole motor?

Thanks for being patient I am a newbe to the golf cart mechanics, but i am mechanically inclined. Just trying to get informed before I start turning wrenches an tearing things up.

GLEEMO 09-08-2009 10:09 AM

Yes you can replace brushes so I would assume if you find a broken stud wire when you open it up ?
And you are a good solderer or can repair the old end then YES ?
I would take it to a motor rebuild (alternator shop) have them check it and get estimate !

AirBorneArt 09-08-2009 11:39 AM

Thanks Gary
This **** Star has been more problems, Thought I got a good deal at $2500, but needed batteries $660, head light bulbs, only can by at a Star dealer, a nasty shimie in the back, took the tires and drums off only to find the axle jumps in one spot, maybe a casting issue, countless hours of Fiddle Farting around with it Mirrors, seat squeeks. The only thing I like about it is the AHROOOga horn I installed, it scares the $hit even out of the dogs that cross in front of it. Should have bought another CC

Thanks again