Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Harley Davidson (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   1974 Harley Sequence of operation? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=129506)

Scrid 04-30-2017 11:35 AM

1974 Harley Sequence of operation?

Hello everyone!
Does anyone have a Sequence of operation, or theory of operation for the 5 solenoid 36v 1974 DE Harley?
I have one in my shop that a friend brought me to repair. I ended up checking almost every single wire on this thing with the exception of the delay tube which someone replaced with a two wire electric module.
Its a black cylinder shaped unit with a black and red wire.
I had it running for a bit after I found the brushes stuck in the motor holders. Once freed up the motor would run but only occasionally, there were also bad buss bar connections which helped but I only seem to have 2 speeds.
I suspect intermittent solenoids. All 6 batteries load banked and passed and are now fully charged.
Yesterday I found one open diode between the orange and black wire on the accelerator plate. I replaced it with a temporary diode just to see if that would help but no luck.
I was just hoping a sequence of operation diagram or verbiage would help further diagnose the system.
Thanks all.
Chris

jakesnake27 05-14-2017 09:19 PM

Re: 1974 Harley Sequence of operation?

:sign3: to BGW

Well, I'm not sure what solenoids fire at what times, but I do know how the system works. You have four speeds, with the third one only running for a few seconds till the glass tube warms up and gives you full throttle. First speed is 18v resisted, second is full 18v, third is 36v resisted, and fourth is full 36v. Hope this kinda helps...

phil714 07-23-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakesnake27 (Post 1385126)

Well, I'm not sure what solenoids fire at what times, but I do know how the system works. You have four speeds, with the third one only running for a few seconds till the glass tube warms up and gives you full throttle. First speed is 18v resisted, second is full 18v, third is 36v resisted, and fourth is full 36v. Hope this kinda helps...

this is actually pretty useful information, i just picked up my first 69de and ive been trying to understand how it works. makes sense now why there are so many wires running from the batteries to the solenoids instead of just 2.

thanks

jakesnake27 07-23-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil714 (Post 1411229)
this is actually pretty useful information, i just picked up my first 69de and ive been trying to understand how it works. makes sense now why there are so many wires running from the batteries to the solenoids instead of just 2.

thanks

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Mooncarter 02-06-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

:thumbup:

longld 02-09-2018 01:55 PM

You don't tell us which speeds are out/work:

Troubleshooting manual:
if cart operates in first/second but not 3/4th:
Speed switch arm and/or microswitch
solenoid A open Drivers side, 12V, closest to edge of cart
defective wiring

no first/second speeds:
Solenoid A stuck closed
Defective wiring

longld 02-09-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

very useful - I think this needs to be a sticky and others could add to it with specific relay engagments

jakesnake27 02-09-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longld (Post 1474437)
very useful - I think this needs to be a sticky and others could add to it with specific relay engagments

Thank you for that. This info is actually now irrelevant to me, as I upgraded to solid state last summer. :lol: But hopefully it helps someone in the future...

jakesnake27 02-09-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooncarter (Post 1473776)
:thumbup: