Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2000 DS starter/Generator speed: Can I slow it down for an easier start? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=166269)

4puttbogey 07-08-2020 12:11 PM

2000 DS starter/Generator speed: Can I slow it down for an easier start?

Hey all! I bought this cart used and I have no idea about its history, other than it came with a new batter and new fuel filters.

I have replaced the starter/generator belt and the drive belt as they were old and cracked, and the S/G belt was slipping.

Well, it is still slipping even if I tighten it pretty good. (I broke a new belt after a week or two of use)

The S/G appears to have only one speed when I press the accelerator. It doesn't ease into the start, and when it does start, the cart lurches forward and does not accelerate easily.

Here's an iphone video below. The belt is a little loose here as this is the new belt I just put on after breaking the last. I believe I need to tighten it, but it still will slip after a couple of starts.

https://imgur.com/a/AxxAamK?

There is about an inch of play in the gas pedal before the S/G starts to turn.

Is there a way I can adjust the speed of the S/G so it catches the belt better and pulls away smoother??

Thank you!

Fairtax4me 07-08-2020 01:00 PM

Re: 2000 DS starter/Generator speed: Can I slow it down for an easier start?

You'll need to tighten that one up a lot more.

No speed adjustment for the S/G. Take-off is when the primary clutch starts to engage the drive belt. Usually a jerky start is because the throttle is not adjusted properly, or the primary clutch is sticking.
Make sure there is about 1/8" of clearance between the clutch sheave (the cones) and the drive belt with the engine off. If the belt is touching on both sides the clutch is not opening all the way and will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Often when the clutch wears the slide buttons inside get grooved and that will cause them to stick and prevent proper closing of the clutch. Also the weights that pull the clutch closed wear and can stick. Either of these will cause the clutch to engage suddenly and cause the cart to lurch on take-off.

4puttbogey 07-08-2020 01:40 PM

Thanks for the great advice!!! I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't tinker with the throttle to try and make it go faster, as I can hit the rev limiter if I push the pedal down to far.

I'll measure the cones tonight to see if there is a problem.

Fairtax4me 07-08-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't tinker with the throttle to try and make it go faster, as I can hit the rev limiter if I push the pedal down to far.
Hitting the rev limiter could certainly be a sign the throttle is out of adjustment. The other option is the clutch is stuck and is not able to close down all the way on the belt.

Look where the cables attach to the governor arm on top of the transmission, the one on the right side (passenger side) has a small spring on the end and it's common for people to put a zip tie around the spring for more speed. It defeats the governor being able to pull back against the throttle cable.

When you press the GO pedal down watch the throttle lever on the Carb for movement. The pedal should move about an inch and then you should hear the switches on the throttle cam in the box click. Then you should have to press another 1/2" to 1" before the throttle lever starts to move. If the lever starts to pull open before the switches click the engine will start at part throttle and you'll have very little or no slow speed control. It will also cause hard starting in cold conditions, and can also cause some jerkiness when starting.

Also check the governor cable (from governor to the carb) for free movement. It should have quite a bit of slack and it should be able to move back and forth VERY Freely. If there is any dragging or rough feeling in the cable at all it can cause rough throttle response or cause the throttle lever to stick.

4puttbogey 07-15-2020 03:01 PM

Update - Tightened the belt with a pry bar and rode it for about three hours the other night. The belt is not slipping!

However, I had to tow my buddies cart home and now it won't start and run unless the choke is depressed all the time. Its only operating about 50% power and its still hard to start. The S/G will turn but it is difficult to get the engine started. I will try your advice from the other thread today, @fairtax4me https://buggiesgonewild.com/showpost...9&postcount=13

Keep giving this quality advice! You're a rockstar!!!