Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   82 2 stroke help (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=92679)

cwilliams927 04-15-2014 07:51 PM

82 2 stroke help

Well a friend of mine gave me a 82 ezgo. Word is that the oil injection failed, actually he melted the feed hose closed accidently. Well did a compression test and it wouldnt even register on the gauge, and when it turns over it sounds like that is accurate. So I know that I at least need to do a top end rebuild, but should I go ahead an do the bottom? Unsure if this motor has ever been opened up before at all. Is there a way I can at least get an idea of the clutch condition before I drop money into it? Thanks for your help guys. I have been reading threads all weak learning all I can. I race MX bikes so I know my way around a 2 stroke.

pachanga90 04-15-2014 08:58 PM

Re: 82 2 stroke help

Look at the sheaves for wear,see how the ramps look on the secondary clutch.Make sure both move freely,without binding.If you lift it and run larger tires,add a 1-1/8" u-bolt washer under the primary-clutch spring,it makes a big difference in low-end power.Hope this helps.:thumbup:

redcloud 04-15-2014 09:24 PM

If she has been run dry of oil that took out a piston it most likely has taken a heavy toll on the crank and bearings. I would do a complete long block kit. The kit will come with crank, piston, rings new jug, head gasket, crank bearings and new seals. You will then know what you have when you are finished.
Take pics of your engine as you take it apart as it will help for re building notes.

cwilliams927 04-15-2014 09:28 PM

The clutch talk loses me. I need to see pictures of how all that works.
The engine has to be easier than my MX engines. I split the cases on it I have to worry about transmission parts as well. Planning on pulling the engine soon and start doing some maintenance.
Plans for the cart is a economy lift, both because of cost and it seems that is all that is available. Also 22" tires on the stock wheels. Low pressure tires to help with the ride.
Oil injection will be going away and premix Amsoil at 100:1

pachanga90 04-16-2014 05:16 AM

The clutches are very simple,there isnt a transmission,the engine runs backwards for reverse.Run 50:1 for break-in,then 100:1 after that.You will need offset wheels to run 22" tires or they will rub hard against the steering arms up front,and the shocks in the rear.The Primary Clutch is the engine mounted,also called Drive Clutch,the rear is the Secondary or Driven.Hope this helps.:thumbup: