Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1 Main Rocker——4 Sub-Rockers....How many Fuses? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=142353)

frankthetank 05-30-2018 06:07 AM

1 Main Rocker——4 Sub-Rockers....How many Fuses?

Wiring 1 Main Rocker for/to all 4 Sub Rockers.
Sub 1 Canopy lights
Sub 2 underbody lights
Sub 3 Additional Lights
Sub 4 open for later additions

I was originally going to wire and fuse each sub separately but decided to run a main switch to kill or turn on all at once.

The amps for each are only about 5 3 and 2. So should I just run a 10 or 12 amp fuse tied to the main and pigtail the signal and grounds to each Sub?

That’s how I wired it so far.

Can’t fuse them separately still right? Since none of subs are straight to the battery or fuse block. Just the main rocker running to fuse block.

???
Thanks

Dave in VA 05-30-2018 07:11 AM

Re: 1 Main Rocker——4 Sub-Rockers....How many Fuses?

2 Attachment(s)
You have 4 circuits. They should each be run thru a fuse block, with the + and - running back to the battery. A main switch, or a relay can power up the fuse block.

The 12 v to the fuse block can be fused, also--mine is--but I think it's redundant.

frankthetank 05-30-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave in VA (Post 1506813)
You have 4 circuits. They should each be run thru a fuse block, with the + and - running back to the battery. A main switch, or a relay can power up the fuse block.

The 12 v to the fuse block can be fused, also--mine is--but I think it's redundant.

Thanks but could you explain to me why the subs or how the subs can be run to the fuse block?

I have 5 total rockers each 3 pin.
Right now I have the MAIN running to the fuse block and the ground pigtailed to each of the 4 other subs and was going to run one ground back to the ground block.

The remaining Pin on the main ( signal wire) running to pigtails to provide power to each sub rocker.... the remaining single pin on the subs is going to each light/accessory.

If the main power source is fused why/how can I fuse each sub separately though.

I’m out of pins haha

VanillaXtract 05-30-2018 07:55 AM

Fuses are used to protect the wiring. That is why the fuse block typically has a very short wire between it and the power source. Look at your smallest gauge wire and pick the fuse off of that. If it is below the amp rating for your rockers, then you need larger wire.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

The way you have it, you only have one circuit, the "rocker circuit." I am not sure why you want a rocker controlling the other rockers, but that is the power of personal preference. What I would suggest doing if you are that worried about short circuits, is you have your main fuse block that connects to the main rocker. The signal wire from the main rocker should then feed into another fuse block where you can fuse each sub-rocker circuit. You can also just use inline fuses for the rockers. Again, make sure your fuses are appropriate for the gauge wire, not for the devices on the circuit.

EDIT: Updated link with more reliable source

frankthetank 05-30-2018 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanillaXtract (Post 1506819)
Fuses are used to protect the wiring. That is why the fuse block typically has a very short wire between it and the power source. Look at your smallest gauge wire and pick the fuse off of that. If it is below the amp rating for your rockers, then you need larger wire.

https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic15761

The way you have it, you only have one circuit, the "rocker circuit." I am not sure why you want a rocker controlling the other rockers, but that is the power of personal preference. What I would suggest doing if you are that worried about short circuits, is you have your main fuse block that connects to the main rocker. The signal wire from the main rocker should then feed into another fuse block where you can fuse each sub-rocker circuit. You can also just use inline fuses for the rockers. Again, make sure your fuses are appropriate for the gauge wire, not for the devices on the circuit.

Thank you, i'm glad I checked before finishing up. I just thought to fuse at the initial point of the power (at the fuse block) running to the main switch.

Basically, I just want to be able to turn on every single light with the flick of a rocker but also be able to cut off anyone one of them...say the canopy lights while im driving or the flashers or what have you.

Unless there is a better way to do it? I just figured a main switch would be best instead having to go through each rocker one at a time.

Your comments about smallest wire size raises another question I was curious about though too...

I have several different LED strips and accessories each tied in to 16 gauge wire. But each of theses LED strips and accessories pigtail have ranging gauge wire say from 24 to 18 gauge. Now, while I connected all of their pigtails to 16 gauge I was planning on running the main power wire from the fuse block at 12 gauge.

Are you really supposed to calculate at the smallest gauge of the LED pigtail at 24 gauge?

If you were to then how would you ever hook up multiple items/accessories. That part has always been very unclear to me.

Not sure that made sense or not?

And back to the initial question too.....If I am doing separate (inline) fuses for each of the 4 sub rockers for ease lets just say I use a 7 amp 5 amp 3 am and 2 amp fuse respectively...…. should I then fuse the Main Switch Power Wire with a 15 amp fuse at the block?

VanillaXtract 05-30-2018 08:52 AM

Updated my link above to a more reliable source.

Depends on how long that pigtail is. If it is just a few inches, you can probably get away with it and ignore that gauge wire. How did you come up with your amp ratings for your circuits?

To answer the initial question, you should treat your main rocker as a battery (power source). Here is what I would do:
main fuse block has a 20A fuse. 16 AWG to main rocker.
Each sub rocker has a 5A fuse. 22 AWG to each bank of LEDs.

What will happen if something goes wrong? Let's say one of your LEDs shorts out. This will start drawing more current. the 24 gauge wire will melt and short since 5A is too high (probably still safe though in actuality). This will create a larger short, drawing more amps as it grounds to the frame. It will draw more than 5A, blowing the fuse. Your sub-rocker and main rocker wiring will be in tact. Cut off the bad LED and pigtail, then replace. Put in a new fuse and keep on trucking.

CP241 05-30-2018 09:06 AM

I would also recommend closely looking into the specs of these rocker switches. it's just a switch, not designed for bearing a heavy load. Some are... most are not. So if you have the rocker switches with a 1 amp or 2 amp specification, and all of your combined loads are pulling 10 amps (just pulling numbers out of air here) you will quickly find that you are burning up rocker switches faster than you can replace them. (especially the main switch)

The correct way to do it would be to have each rocker switch feed to a relay. A standard SPST or SPDT relay is like a buck and will handle 30 amps. Then your rocker switch is only presented with a 200mA load (typical cheap relay coil will pull about 200mA, nicer relays are more efficient and some only pull 20-30mA). This will use your rocker switch as a "Switch" as it is designed, and let the relay do the work (as it is designed to do).

You also need to specify current demands for selecting appropriate wire size and fuse ratings for the individual legs. You said 5, 3, and 2 amps. but did not say if this was peak current demand or continuous. 5 amps continuous for a light is much different than a 5 amp peak. 5 amp peak will only prob draw 1.5-2 amps continuous. but a 5 amp continuous could pull 10-15 amps peak. And if you rate your 5A continuous load with a 5A fuse, you'll regularly blow fuses even though the continuous load is appropriate for that size fuse. And I would always select a fuse sized 1.5-2x the continuous load, sometimes more depending on what it is.

VanillaXtract 05-30-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1506842)
And I would always select a fuse sized 1.5-2x the continuous load, sometimes more depending on what it is.

You can only do that with properly sized circuit. If you have a 10A load you can't just throw in a 20A fuse if the wiring is only rated for 15A.

frankthetank 05-30-2018 09:29 AM

Vanilla:
I did cut all the pigtails so they were only a few inches and then spliced into 16 gauge.
As far as Amp Ratings I simply ran the multimeter to test each Led Strip and then again once they were all tied together to make sure they added up both ways. I added a few more lights since I started this so I will go back and double check the canopy lights for sub 1 underbody lights for sub 2 etc.

CP: I have a 16amp Rocker for the main and 10amp rockers for subs.

I am not sure exactly about the current. The LED boxes for example one box said max at 0.89 amps. So I simply tested with the multimeter to my power supply to verify those numbers matched what my reading was. The ones that fluctuated were the flasher lights.

cgtech 05-30-2018 09:32 AM

I just did a total re-wire on a cart with 30a fuses in every slot of the fuse box. There were wires fried from end to end of the cart, and it should have burned down.