Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New guy needs help (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=56820)

Huntsober 11-12-2011 04:54 PM

New guy needs help

I have a 95 36 volt ezgo. 650 amp axe controller, D&D motor, 400 amp solenoid, 22" mudlights, T-145 batteries.

When I put in R to back it off the trailer I started getting a knock in the rear end. .....sure enough this morning while coming out the woods with a deer on the back it popped and stopped. I can hear it spinning but no go F or R.

I have a deal on a 98 parts cart. Will the 95 rear and 98 interchange? Thats my question. I have not seen the 98 parts cart yet and it is 100 miles away so i wanna know before I go get it.

Thanks for any help.

Coltf1991 11-12-2011 05:05 PM

Re: New guy needs help

Welcome to BGW.

Your rear drums are more than likely stripped out. Safely place the carts rear end on jack stands. Remove the wheel and hit the gas lightly and see if the axel is spinning but the hub is not.

Huntsober 11-13-2011 06:24 AM

If the hubs are stripped out do I have to replace the axle shaft and hubs? Or would it cheaper tp put in a used complete rear axle assembly? I

Huntsober 11-13-2011 06:32 AM

I see the hub is splinned, I will pull the hub and inspect the axle shaft to see if it grinned up. thanks this give me hope. I was one hour fron driving 300 miles to buy a used exle. I might not have too.

Huntsober 11-13-2011 08:38 AM

Well I pulled the wheels and no shaft is spinning. I tightens the shaft hut and it turned but I could stop it with my hand. I pulled assembly out pulled motor. While assembly was on jack stands I pulled cover. Milky oil, I can hold the main gear with one hand and spin the wheel with the other. I can feel it grining and slipping up in the top of the differentail.

So I am headed to pick up a 91 nad 98 ezgo carts with new chargers all for 500. Im gonna rob the axle assembly from the 98 and sell the 91. The 91 runs fine. wish me luck.

BLakeside 11-13-2011 08:46 AM

The brake drum/hub is splined and it is not unusual to strip one. The axle should be fine, clean it with a wire brush just to remove the metal particles. Lube the splines so you can get the hub off in the future,install new/used hub and torque to spec. Search BGW for hub replacement if you don't have torque spec. Scottb posted it last week. The splines are the weak link and will keep you from tearing up more expensive parts in side the rear end.

Spawn 11-13-2011 09:02 AM

To do that test the right way just pull the hub cap and dust cover. If you have rims you will need to pull the center dust cover off and put the wheel back on and put it on the ground. You dont want to hold anything by hand or on jacks when you give it gas! Have a friend give the cart a little gas and watch the castle nut, if it turns, the hub is gone and needs to be replaced.

madoc1 11-13-2011 09:06 AM

the 95 and 98 rear ends are compatible. the 98 may have a larger carrier and different size spiders, but that makes no difference. but if it does have the larger carrier, you can instal a locker while you have it apart.:mrgreen:

Huntsober 11-14-2011 01:20 PM

I got the 98 home and snatched the rear end out. Slipped it under my 95 with no problem. It runs great! seems to be a little fasted. I wonder if the gear ratio is different? Everything brakes and all hooked right up. Thanks for the help guys.