Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Yamaha G8 Club - Please post! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=49288)

thecurti 06-10-2011 08:23 AM

Re: Yamaha G8 Club - Please post!

Welcome Justin, great Cart. Looks like the transformation has begun

CajunLoneWolf 06-10-2011 08:43 PM

Well got all my gaskets, mounts, brushes, and seals in. Also went but some engine paint. Using the color my son picked for the outside the motor will be a matching Hemi orange. I'm personally a Ford guy but the blue wouldn't match the yellow/red chameleon paint he wants on the body so Hemi orange it is. Now to get those honey do's done and outta the way:thumbup:

Mike Mac 06-11-2011 12:15 AM

Sounds good, ur gettin it!!

And get those honey-do's done!!

thecurti 06-11-2011 02:13 PM

Everytime I think I get the honey do list done, another one appears.:?

CajunLoneWolf 06-12-2011 04:23 PM

LMAO Curt so it's not just me then :lhmo:

stuff4mason 06-13-2011 08:47 AM

So, bringing my cart on the trailer back from the lake yesterday, I drove through 4 seperate major rain storms. By the time I got home, my cart was sparkling clean!! Maybe I should have brought the boat home instead?

Mike Mac 06-13-2011 08:56 AM

See, Clean is good!!:thumbup::lhmo:

CajunLoneWolf 06-13-2011 11:01 AM

Lmao Mason you must use the same guy that I use to wash my truck :P

justin146 06-13-2011 02:33 PM

So I GPS'd my G8 today and I am only getting about 20mph out of it. It is almost like it hits a governor at that speed- but the governor is completely bypassed. I ordered a Tiny Tach for it to see if I am getting the RPMs I should.

I know very little about these CVT's- what should I look at first? I see others getting 25-30mph with 22" tires.

stuff4mason 06-13-2011 02:46 PM

First thing you want to check is your belt. At full throttle, you should see the belt on the drivin side (front clutch) run all the way up and to the top of the clutch. Same with the rear. If the clutches are not shiny all the way up, then they are not engaging full. One thing you can do is take the seat off, and drive the cart with a flashlight, watching how the belt reacts while under power. This is a bit dangerous, but under load is the best way to see. Check your engine tentioner, and make sure your belt is somewhat tight while not in motion. You should be able to push the belt down about 1" tops. Also, check that your throttle cable is opening the butterfly on the carb, all the way. With key off, push the pedal to the floor. If you can use your hand to move the carb any more, your throttle isn't set right. Also put the cart on jack stands and spin the tires. Free? Brakes hanging? What is the belt width? Have you cleaned the carb real well? Start with these.

justin146 06-13-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuff4mason (Post 578370)
First thing you want to check is your belt. At full throttle, you should see the belt on the drivin side (front clutch) run all the way up and to the top of the clutch. Same with the rear. If the clutches are not shiny all the way up, then they are not engaging full. One thing you can do is take the seat off, and drive the cart with a flashlight, watching how the belt reacts while under power. This is a bit dangerous, but under load is the best way to see. Check your engine tentioner, and make sure your belt is somewhat tight while not in motion. You should be able to push the belt down about 1" tops. Also, check that your throttle cable is opening the butterfly on the carb, all the way. With key off, push the pedal to the floor. If you can use your hand to move the carb any more, your throttle isn't set right. Also put the cart on jack stands and spin the tires. Free? Brakes hanging? What is the belt width? Have you cleaned the carb real well? Start with these.

The belt and pullies seem to operate as they should; I will check the front pulley and see if it is shiny all the way up. I think my belt has more than an inch of play in it though. Where is the engine tensioner?

The carb opens all the way- I just bypassed the governor and made sure it does. But there is really no top speed increase between 2/3 and full throttle.

It also doesnt have enough power to overcome the 4" ledge leading into my shop floor from the driveway without a rolling start.

stuff4mason 06-13-2011 06:55 PM

Yea, that doesn't sound right at all. Mine can climb a wall if I tell it to.

My guess is, the tensioner cable has snapped. Take your aircleaner off. Its under that. Should be a small cable, going to the frame, with a bolt and nut directly to the engine. Should be located right near your starter/generator. If its still there, tighten the nut and the engine should start to lean forward. The tighter the nut goes, the tighter the belt gets. You want some type of pressure on your belt when its idle. This will make a world of difference.

Also, while your looking, check your motor mounts. If they are ripped and not holding the engine any more, then thats the other problem. They will need to be replaced. None of these are very expensive to replace. This all has to be right, in order to get max RPM's from our huge 9 HP motors.

justin146 06-13-2011 08:48 PM

I did a little investigating. I first looked at the front clutch. Its pretty obvious the belt isnt coming all the way to the top. There is so much belt deflection I can squeeze it and make the top touch the bottom.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...-19-54_761.jpg

So I looked and found the adjuster. It is tightened down all the way and the cable is still loose. The previous owner gave me a new belt. I cross referenced it and it is the correct one.
j55-g6241-00-00

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...-20-10_573.jpg

stuff4mason 06-13-2011 10:28 PM

That explains a lot of it. That belt should ride all the way to the top. How did the motor mounts look? There are two in the rear and one on the front. If that tensioner is that loose, the mounts may be bad.

CajunLoneWolf 06-14-2011 07:25 AM

Hey Mason I had noticed that my tensioner is missing. Does $36.00 sound like a good price. Seems like alot for a bolt and a cable.....:?

Mike Mac 06-14-2011 07:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cajun, if you can weld, make one. Last for ever!

CajunLoneWolf 06-14-2011 09:21 AM

Thanks Mike I can weld for sure. Seems like I've seem something similar to that at the bolt store though. hmmmmmm I might need to investigate this a little further.......:thumbup:

stuff4mason 06-14-2011 11:00 AM

Yea, $36.00 is a he77 of a lot for that part! I paid $11.50 at a local store for mine! (Yamaha part).

Mike, The only thing about the way yours is set up - With the cable system, the engine can move forward if it needs to, but yours (and my other cable system I welded up) doesn't allow the motor to move at all. There must be a reason yamaha wanted it to be able to flex forward. I donno, just a thought. Not sure why that would be, but for $11.00 I thought it was worth it to use what they designed.

CajunLoneWolf 06-14-2011 05:28 PM

OK now I'm wondering hmmmmmm. You bring up a good point Mason. Does any of the site sponsors sell them. Cause I was only able to find them on one site. :oops:

CajunLoneWolf 06-14-2011 06:34 PM

Strike that found one for $4.00 :thumbup:

stuff4mason 06-14-2011 08:30 PM

Yea, that's even better!

justin146 06-14-2011 08:33 PM

I replaced the belt and tightened the cable. It was loose, but it actually tightened up more. The belt slipped right off. The new belt seemed to be the same length, but was wider. And it slipped right on too. Even with the new belt, the cable has all the threads used. How tight should it be? It still seems pretty loose.

While looking at the motor mounts, I found out the front center swingarm mount bushing was broken. It is the type that is solid rubber with short studs on either end. I removed the remaining stud and used a drill press in reverse to burn a hole through it. I then ran a bolt all the way through it.

It didnt GPS it, but it didnt seem to gain any top end. But it has power off the line now. My tach is only showing about 3600rpm on flat ground, I managed about 4100 slightly down hill. There may be more left in carb tuning. It seems to be running pretty rich.

stuff4mason 06-14-2011 08:41 PM

If the front mount is bad, I would assume the rear mounts are bad too? Can you pick up the entire engine from the rear? If so, they are bad. You can always put a nut or washers (just something to space) in front of your nut on the thread side of the tensioner, so you have deeper threads to use and bring the engine up more. You want a bit of tention on the belt when its not running. Keep playing with that tensioner until the belt starts running to the top of both clutches. Watch your gps for changes. You'll find the sweet spot and stop playing with it. Mine does 25-26 mph with my 22's. I think that's plenty fast enough for me!

IF that doesn't help, you may want to take the main clutch off and check the weights. You may have one broken in there. Are there any dents on the primary clutch cover?

justin146 06-14-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuff4mason (Post 578977)
If the front mount is bad, I would assume the rear mounts are bad too? Can you pick up the entire engine from the rear? If so, they are bad. You can always put a nut or washers (just something to space) in front of your nut on the thread side of the tensioner, so you have deeper threads to use and bring the engine up more. You want a bit of tention on the belt when its not running. Keep playing with that tensioner until the belt starts running to the top of both clutches. Watch your gps for changes. You'll find the sweet spot and stop playing with it. Mine does 25-26 mph with my 22's. I think that's plenty fast enough for me!

IF that doesn't help, you may want to take the main clutch off and check the weights. You may have one broken in there. Are there any dents on the primary clutch cover?

It wasnt the front engine mount that was bad, it was the swingarm mount. I could pick up the entire swingarm from the front pivot point. And when I tighten the cable, the engine doesnt seem to move any.

I also checked the front clutch and it is fine. Is there something I need to loosen on the engine mounts for it to slide forward?

stuff4mason 06-14-2011 08:57 PM

Pull up on the rear of the engine. See if it comes up any (it should slightly). If it doesn't move at all, it may be jammed in the mounts. You want to be able to move that motor a bit before that little cable will do anything. Once the motor is somewhat loose, but still connected to the rear mounts, then the cable will be able to do some good.

Mike Mac 06-14-2011 10:41 PM

Guys, the cable stops the motor from moving back toward the rear end, and allowing the drive belt to be loose on the clutches. Yamaha used a cable so less vibration is transfered to the occupants. We are not concerned with occupants! My bolt does the same thing, but maybe more vibration. All of us bought cars that had no torque cables. So that tells me they don't last. Especially with what we're doing with them. Look at Justin's, it looks funky where its tied to the swing arm bracket, (ready to fail?). Thats probably why it won't tighten up.

The cable is not suppose to be tight, read the owners manual, it says: .08 at the nut. The motor mounts on our cars are soft, (less vibration) and with out that tensioner, the motor moves back quite abit, and the tensioner stops the motor from doing so.

The motor should sit in a relaxed manner, on 4 good motor mounts. The tensioner just holds the motor there while the belt is trying to pull it back under load.

See, I know I'm right!!:roll:

Mike Mac 06-14-2011 10:54 PM

Justin, I would replace the front swing arm mount with the proper rubber mount. Your bolt is going to bend or break the frame mount. Or put a Heim Joint there like I did. I could post a picture, but afraid of being criticized for having a CLEAN car!!!:-P:lhmo:

Sooner or later, we will talk you into gutting the air box and jetting the carb. for more throttle response!!:thumbup:

And don't over rev the motor down hill!!

Mike Mac 06-14-2011 11:23 PM

Cajun, make sure its genuine Yamaha! You'll be buyin another.

CajunLoneWolf 06-15-2011 06:05 AM

Yep Mike its a Genuine Yamaha part. I aint puttin Mexican or Chineese parts on my cart just Japaneese hmmmmmmm ya thats right :lhmo:

CajunLoneWolf 06-15-2011 03:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK with the motor out I have changed both seals, the crankcase gasket, the brushes in the starter and gave the plastic a fresh coat of Hemi orange paint. Just waiting on the carb, exaust, and valve cover gaskets to finish assembly. The tensioner is also coming in with those so motor wise I should be ready to roll :thumbup:

Bigend 06-15-2011 08:28 PM

I want to join the G8 Club

stuff4mason 06-15-2011 09:13 PM

Cool Cajun. Looks Good. Did you adjust the valves while your there?

Man, that looks like a awsome MAN cave!

stuff4mason 06-15-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigend (Post 579403)
I want to join the G8 Club

Bigend, what kind of cart do you have?

CajunLoneWolf 06-15-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuff4mason (Post 579417)
Cool Cajun. Looks Good. Did you adjust the valves while your there?

Man, that looks like a awsome MAN cave!

LOL thanks Mason yep that's our Boyz Club me and the boyz hang out play music and shoot some pool. The shop was a little hot so I rolled the motor in the ac to reassemble it :thumbup:

No I don't have a feeler guage to adjust them. Maybe I will pick one up before I put the valve cover back on. :wink:

Mike Mac 06-15-2011 10:21 PM

Looks good Caj. Thought for a second, you were in your living room!!:shock:
How far you gonna tear the rest of the car down? Did you clean up the swing arm?

CajunLoneWolf 06-15-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mac (Post 579446)
Looks good Caj. Thought for a second, you were in your living room!!:shock:
How far you gonna tear the rest of the car down? Did you clean up the swing arm?

I'm in the process of seeing what metal has cancer and what needs to just be wire wheeled and repainted. The swing arm got some heat and a vice and she is as straight as new. Well I wouldn't pop a chalk line on it but it's real close :-P. What else did you see from the pics that might need my attention????

Mike Mac 06-15-2011 11:07 PM

Buddy, what I did with mine was, clean it up so I could work on it with out getting dirty. Then made a car out of it (made it relieable and made sure that it drove well). Then I drove it for a month or so, to find the bugs and what not. If all the bearings, gears, motor and rear end, sound and run ok, then start to modify it.
I took mine down to bare frame, then just detailed and maintenanced each part as I put it back on. That worked well for me!

When you get ready to lift it, you need to consider dropping the front of the swing arm around 3" as well as the trailing arms. That will insure you have a happy car when your finished! But driving it for a while stock will allow you to get everything planned and ready for the transformation!!

Mike Mac 06-15-2011 11:48 PM

Also Caj. I welded 1/4" nuts on the skid plate tabs, so i could bolt the skid plate on instead of riveting it on. Now I can remove it for maint. or to clean under there! I also removed that sound proofing material from the skid plate.

Also (how could I forget), get yourself a big bottle of "never seize" at Auto Zone! and never seize all assembled parts and bolt shanks. Very important for an off road car. (Thats in the MUD). Start now, some of the things your doing now, you won't be back into.

Also consider "street legal" if your allowed.

CajunLoneWolf 06-16-2011 07:25 AM

Mike that's some great ideas :thumbup: Good looking out for me. Yep the skidplate will have to be changed so that idea will help out. I will have to put the sound proofing back most campgrounds dont allow gas carts so I'm gonna make mine as quiet as possible and sneek it in :-P I'm still debating on lifting it or not though. I do plan to use it to play golf too and the courses around here are funny about lifted carts which is why I was considering air shocks. Might have to get two sets of tires one for the campground and mud and one for the course. Thanks for your input, Brandon :mrgreen:

stuff4mason 06-16-2011 07:37 AM

HA! That's so true...I wanted to take my cart to the course at the lake, but there's no way in he77 they will let me on! I am going to have to rent two stock golf carts...Lets just hope they are Yamaha's!