Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   No Spark on 2002 Ezgo TXT (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=180852)

Kevin63 11-16-2021 07:41 AM

No Spark on 2002 Ezgo TXT

I have replaced every component on the ignition system and still no spark, new coil, igniter, solenoid, regulator, spark plugs, pulse coil. I ran an extra ground wire from the battery to engine. I even made an external wiring harness that bypassed the original wiring between igniter and engine. When testing the pulse coil, the original checked 19 ohms and the manual says it should check around 400 - 500 ohms. The aftermarket pulse coil I'm using checked 200 ohms. Any ideas?

crash12888 11-16-2021 08:05 AM

Re: No Spark on 2002 Ezgo TXT

I have to ask, are the replacement parts aftermarket or OEM?
Did you keep all of your OEM parts?

Kevin63 11-16-2021 10:20 AM

Replacement parts are aftermarket and I did save my old ones.

trig123 11-16-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin63 (Post 1862603)
I have replaced every component on the ignition system and still no spark, new coil, igniter, solenoid, regulator, spark plugs, pulse coil. I ran an extra ground wire from the battery to engine. I even made an external wiring harness that bypassed the original wiring between igniter and engine. When testing the pulse coil, the original checked 19 ohms and the manual says it should check around 400 - 500 ohms. The aftermarket pulse coil I'm using checked 200 ohms. Any ideas?

Put the original pulser coil back on it. The manual states on the pre mci engine it should ohms from 19-21. I think you are looking at the MCI in the manual. A 2002 TXT should have the pre mci engine. Yours is good.
Take a picture of the ignitor you removed and post it here.

Kevin63 11-18-2021 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Igniter appears to be an aftermarket. Have not had time yet to install the original pulse coil.

trig123 11-18-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin63 (Post 1862899)
Igniter appears to be an aftermarket. Have not had time yet to install the original pulse coil.

Yep, that is a true aftermarket ignitor. Some work and some don't. Wish I could tell you where to find an OEM . Ezgo no longer sells them.

crash12888 11-18-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trig123 (Post 1862921)
Yep, that is a true aftermarket ignitor. Some work and some don't. Wish I could tell you where to find an OEM . Ezgo no longer sells them.

Trig or anyone have an OEM they could check for original numbers? Did Ezgo make these or source them from some where else?
I know someone just posted info about an obsolete coil the was used on a motorcycle or scooter that is still available.

trig123 11-18-2021 07:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crash12888 (Post 1862941)
Trig or anyone have an OEM they could check for original numbers? Did Ezgo make these or source them from some where else?
I know someone just posted info about an obsolete coil the was used on a motorcycle or scooter that is still available.

These ignitors were made by the same company that made the robbin engine. They are both made in Japan and were sold to ezgo.

Here is a picture of what an OEM ignitor looks like.

I have used a Denso coil from a snowmobile and it worked fine. I will include a picture of the one I have now. Much more spark than the cheap ones.

I don't trust these ignitors and coils people buy on amazon or ebay. Unless the ignitor looks like the one I showed its not OEM.

Kevin63 11-19-2021 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I reinstalled the old pulse coil and gapped it to .030 and still no spark. I ordered a new one online from a golf cart supplier hoping this fixes the problem (pic attached of new igniter). Thanks for the help.

Cartmaster 11-19-2021 08:26 AM

Do you also have a picture of the actual new igniter that you bought? That image you just showed is a stock image. Probably not the same item sent, as pretty much nobody has them anymore. They went out of production around 2014, and we have only been able to source old shelf stock and cloned aftermarket ones since. Now the old stock has pretty much run out, only the clones are available. I would try to find someone who has done an engine upgrade and has a used working old OEM one laying in there spares box.

Can I ask how much you payed for it and where it was bought from?