Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lithium Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Extreme Team 48v 100ah Dead (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=185985)

shoomba 08-06-2022 07:29 AM

Extreme Team 48v 100ah Dead

I got an Extreme Team 48v 100ah for my 2016 Precedent about 2 months ago. Everything was working out fine but now the battery has died on me twice. Completely dead, the charge meter on the dash shows nothing and even the light around the power button on the battery wont turn on.

I went out of town for about 2.5 weeks. The battery was about 80% charged when I left. Their website said to turn the battery off if you were going to be gone for a month or more so I figured I would be fine and just left it on uncharged. Came back and the meter was showing 50 volts, still well into the green bars, and the app showed battery at 68%.

I made it about half a mile before the cart died. Figured okay battery was lower than it was reporting. Got the cart home plugged it in, came right back on and started charging.

The next day I took the cart off the charger and took it out, fully charged. I made it about a mile to the golf course and two holes in before it died on me. I was moving pretty quick, cart path got a little bumpy, started going up a slight hill and it just died on me again. Tried turning the battery on and off, and nothing. Got it back to the clubhouse and grabbed my charging cord and plugged it in. It immediately came back on and started charging, the charge meter showed above 50 volts something like 53 maybe and the app showed 91%. Left it on for about an hour and when I went to go home and unplugged the charger it turned off again after about 10 seconds. I plugged it back in and noticed the charger seemed to be blinking yellow and green, was hard to tell because it was bright outside but it was deftly blinking.

I believe the blinking yellow means low voltage or output short circuit. I plan to contact extreme team but their website is down right now. I am wondering is there some kind of issue with the battery or charger after leaving it sit for 2 weeks, or if I have a loose wire or connection or something, or maybe even blew a fuse somewhere? I still have to pick the cart up and get it home today so I cant do any troubleshooting until later but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas of what to check.

DaveTM 08-06-2022 10:11 AM

Re: Extreme Team 48v 100ah Dead

Do you have a monitor that shows what the voltage drop is when you accelerate? If you have an Alltrax controller you can, with Alltrax’s software hook up a laptop and record a ton of data of what’s occurring while you are driving. What amps the controller is “giving” the motor as well as what amps the motor is demanding.

But what is “interesting” is your voltage drop in that timeframe you spoke of. Other than your monitor, what else is giving your cart that “parasitic” drain? That much voltage drain in that short of a time frame seems excessive.

Do you have a BMS that shows what each cells voltage is? My “gut feeling” is you have a bad cell in your pack. But my gut feeling and $1.75 will get you a coffee at the corner store.

But that’s My two cents of input so far.

shoomba 08-06-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTM (Post 1902632)
Do you have a monitor that shows what the voltage drop is when you accelerate? If you have an Alltrax controller you can, with Alltrax’s software hook up a laptop and record a ton of data of what’s occurring while you are driving. What amps the controller is “giving” the motor as well as what amps the motor is demanding.

But what is “interesting” is your voltage drop in that timeframe you spoke of. Other than your monitor, what else is giving your cart that “parasitic” drain? That much voltage drain in that short of a time frame seems excessive.

Do you have a BMS that shows what each cells voltage is? My “gut feeling” is you have a bad cell in your pack. But my gut feeling and $1.75 will get you a coffee at the corner store.

But that’s My two cents of input so far.

I have the Navitas 600dc controller so I have a phone app I can see a lot of info on, not sure if it can record or If I'll have to watch it live. But right now the cart wont move its got no power. As soon as I unplug it from the charger it all just shuts off. The battery BMS also has a phone app where I can see info on the battery and that I can at least use when the cart is plugged in and charging. Thats what I use to get the % charged of the battery. I dont remember seeing any warnings or cells out of place when I was looking at it yesterday. I'll be able to do more once I get it home later today, and extreme teams site is back up so I got an email out to them. Hoping its not the battery but thats what it seems to be to me.

Volt_Ampere 08-06-2022 02:00 PM

More likely, it's the BMS.

DaveTM 08-06-2022 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere (Post 1902661)
More likely, it's the BMS.

Could be that as well. The battery techs should be able to determine the issue. Hopefully they give good customer support.

Jack Daniels 08-10-2022 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveTM (Post 1902667)
Could be that as well. The battery techs should be able to determine the issue. Hopefully they give good customer support.

I can say no, they don't. My Extreme Team battery has been dead with some kind of fault for a month and a half. Took a bit to get a response from them at all, after some prodding by me they finally told me I needed to get this battery back to them so they can hook it up to their computer or whatever. They were going to send me a UPS label to ship it back to them, but still have not after about 3 weeks. I've reminded them 5 or 6 times that I still don't have a label, only for them to say they will send it, they thought they sent it but will again, etc. Definitely starting to lose faith that this will ever be resolved, and will probably be out the money that I spent on this battery. It's under warranty, but nothing is happening and you can't dispute charges after 6 months with PayPal.

DaveTM 08-10-2022 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Daniels (Post 1903369)
I can say no, they don't. My Extreme Team battery has been dead with some kind of fault for a month and a half. Took a bit to get a response from them at all, after some prodding by me they finally told me I needed to get this battery back to them so they can hook it up to their computer or whatever. They were going to send me a UPS label to ship it back to them, but still have not after about 3 weeks. I've reminded them 5 or 6 times that I still don't have a label, only for them to say they will send it, they thought they sent it but will again, etc. Definitely starting to lose faith that this will ever be resolved, and will probably be out the money that I spent on this battery. It's under warranty, but nothing is happening and you can't dispute charges after 6 months with PayPal.

Doesn't sound good at all. You're getting the run around and that usually doesn't come out in your favor.

Doesn't sound like a company I want to deal with when my pack is ready to be replaced.

shoomba 08-10-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Daniels (Post 1903369)

Yeah I had been holding off on posting an update because I wanted to get some info from extreme team with a fix or a theory of what went wrong first but I havent gotten much from them. After I sent them an email with basically the same text as this post all I got back was an email asking if I had the app for the battery.

I replied yes I did, but its a straight chinese app Ive got no idea what any of the options are and dont want to risk bricking my expensive battery and cart by randomly trying buttons.

Anyway the update is I went the next day to tow the cart home and lo and behold it was working and I was able to drive it home. The day after I got it home I drove it all over the neighborhood with no issues so it appears to have fixed itself. But I am hesitant to take it anywhere because I dont know what went wrong and how to troubleshoot it. I am not comfortable taking it out now without having some on deck ready to tow me home because I dont know what the issue was or have any tools to troubleshoot it.

I let extreme team know in my update that I was able to drive it home but also expressed my concerns and I feel like they took that as the issue was resolved but it really isnt.

One thing I noticed is that if I try to turn the battery on while the key switch is turned on, the battery will turn on for a few seconds and quickly shut down. Now I know when I was having issues i tried turning the battery on with the key switch off and it would not turn on so thats not the issue I was having. Whatever was wrong seems to be working for now. But again my confidence in the cart is pretty much at 0 and would have liked some more support from extreme team. Its clearly a battery issue, the battery was fully charged I was able to drive it home eventually, drive it for a couple miles the next day on the same charge but whatever happened temporarily bricked my cart and thats not cool.

Jack Daniels 08-10-2022 01:58 PM

I went through the same thing with the app once they finally responded. He asked me if I had an Android phone to use, because the iPhone app didn't have the same capabilities as the Android app. Told him no I did not, then they went dark on me. A couple weeks passed and I finally found an older Android phone to use, and he was active with me through text trying to find a fix, but the battery would not connect to the Android phone. That's finally when he said I needed to send it in and he would get me a label, but 3 weeks later and still no label after asking about it quite a few times at this point.

DaveTM 08-10-2022 05:09 PM

Well, it may be possible for you guys to hit the "Nuclear" button if you purchased the battery with a VISA credit card.

Notify VISA that you did not get what you paid for and VISA will do a chargeback. You get your money back......they get the money taken out of their bank account.

For this to work you have to document the non-responses and the non-fix of the issues. You also only have a short window to do this.....it's either 90 or 120 days and I can't recall if that's from date of purchase or date when a warranty claim went south.

You can call VISA and make the inquiry. They are pretty objective about chargeback stuff.