Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   295 pre-mci upper engine noise (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=187023)

Romartin1 09-28-2022 06:44 PM

295 pre-mci upper engine noise

New member, hello all. Tech by trade with 97 txt. Rebuilt the 295 a year ago with everything nee but crank and rods, runs great. My issue is these little engines seem to be noisy. Mine has top end rattle. Correct oil, tried valve lash at .004, .005 and .006 with no difference. Recently took rocker shaft and rockers out and cranked engine and it was very quiet. Is it common for these engines to be loud or maybe I have some excessive wear on valve train, didn't notice anything abnormal during the rebuild. Buddy has a newer 295 mci engine and much quieter. I would appreciate any feedback. We use this cart at the lake hauling family and friends, not fast but strong as an ox. I have been all through this cart just would love to quiet it down a bit. Thanks in advance.

slonomo 09-28-2022 09:30 PM

Re: 295 pre-mci upper engine noise

These engines are known to have oiling issues, particularly to the cylinder farthest from the oil pump (cylinder 2?) and corresponding valvetrain. I have seen failures in rockers, cam, and connecting rod from lack of oil in two carts I've owned, one 295 and one 350. I have found some people claim the aftermarket oil screens are a possible fault. Some have said oil weight can be an issue causing oil flow/pressure issues, and some have said oil additives can be an issue. Of course lack of maintenance is always an issue and even more so on these engines.

If you have inspected the parts, and reinspected since the build, and don't see any mechanical failures....I would honestly try a different oil screen/filter and/or a different oil brand or even a slightly different weight oil. As far as the oil filter/screen the recommended one is oem, and aftermarkets seem to be hit or miss.

Romartin1 09-28-2022 09:42 PM

I appreciate the feed back. I'm sure it's the stock oil screen on it, I have used 10-40, sae 30, currently running 15-40 Rotella, none seem to make much difference. Definitely no galling or signs of lack of oil. Rattle does seem to be coming from the valve train, rockers. When I turned the engine over with valve train off, the valve cover was off and there was a nice oil stream feeding the head from the oiling hole, yes it made a mess. Are these engines typically noisy though? When I watch vids, they all seem to sound the same. I don't have another to compare to other than my buddies mci and it's night and day difference in noise. I know the mci head is different as well.

Cartmaster 09-28-2022 10:07 PM

It could be wear in the cam follower heels. Try a different method of adjusting the valve lash. Close the gap to light contact. then turn the adjuster back exactly 1/4 turn and lock off. Do not use feeler gauge! If you check with feeler after this adjustment, they may seem too tight! This will be an indication of worn followers/rockers. If this helps. Use this adjustment method in the future.

CP241 09-29-2022 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartmaster (Post 1911058)
It could be wear in the cam follower heels. Try a different method of adjusting the valve lash. Close the gap to light contact. then turn the adjuster back exactly 1/4 turn and lock off. Do not use feeler gauge! If you check with feeler after this adjustment, they may seem too tight! This will be an indication of worn followers/rockers. If this helps. Use this adjustment method in the future.

What he said. I second this

Romartin1 09-29-2022 07:28 AM

Cp421, I will definitely try this. I did notice when I had the rockets off the pads that ride on the cam were smooth but they had like lines or small flat strips worn on them. Saw where others were buffing these pads with scotch bright wheels. I will definitely they this, I'll post the outcome.

Cartmaster 09-29-2022 10:28 AM

Do not do anything to them. They may be case hardened and if so and you break through the hardened steel, they will wear much faster. Its best to just do the lash adjustments as I described.

Romartin1 09-29-2022 01:01 PM

I did the 1/4" adjustment this am, still sounds the same. Are these carts normally noisy? The newer ones are very quiet, even the mci engine my buddy has is a night day difference...🤷

Romartin1 09-29-2022 01:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Trying to attach pics

Romartin1 09-29-2022 04:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fellas, this engine makes a racket I'm telling you. Pulled it out again and opened it up. Rods are tight, crank did have some noticeable end play, pump looks fine but look at the wear on the gear faces....