Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Question about Workhorse (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=116031)

SGF 03-16-2016 10:33 AM

Question about Workhorse

I am considering looking at a 2001 WorkHorse ST480. The cart looks good in pictures but I have a few questions before making a 4 hr. trip to see it.

1. Is the suspension more like a golf cart or a UTV?

2. Are they built sturdy enough to do things like haul a trail mower, etc.

3. I wanted a 4x4 UTV but this has locking differential and I am considering it due to price and anticipated condition. Any problems or things to look for with these?

StoveBolt 03-16-2016 05:48 PM

Re: Question about Workhorse

One thing to check is hours, all workhorses I have seen have hour meters.

big mule 03-16-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGF (Post 1253969)
I am considering looking at a 2001 WorkHorse ST480. The cart looks good in pictures but I have a few questions before making a 4 hr. trip to see it.

1. Is the suspension more like a golf cart or a UTV?

2. Are they built sturdy enough to do things like haul a trail mower, etc.

3. I wanted a 4x4 UTV but this has locking differential and I am considering it due to price and anticipated condition. Any problems or things to look for with these?

The suspension is just like a golf cart,rear has heavy duty leaf springs & front has drop axle (3" I think).

Coming from the factory with a 16 HP Vanguard & locking rear differential makes them a very good working machine :thumbup:.

SGF 03-16-2016 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoveBolt (Post 1254146)
One thing to check is hours, all workhorses I have seen have hour meters.

I asked the seller about hours. He went to the machine and listed everything on the dash but there were no empty spots or hr. meter.

StoveBolt 03-16-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGF (Post 1254154)
I asked the seller about hours. He went to the machine and listed everything on the dash but there were no empty spots or hr. meter.

In the engine compartment.

SGF 03-16-2016 07:52 PM

He says it isn't in the engine compartment. He assumes it was an option but I have no idea. I'm going to see it tomorow. It's four hrs. away so I tried to learn all I could about it in advance.

ski-doo583 03-17-2016 02:46 PM

Hour meters are an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StoveBolt 03-17-2016 03:05 PM

You're right ski, I just called a dealer, funny I had 2 st-350s that both had em and
looked at 2 st-480s for sale (I didn't buy) both had em. I guess they paid extra.

kgsc 03-17-2016 03:54 PM

st480 should have the briggs motor in it with a locking diff. Also has hydraulic rear brakes I believe which is good until you have to replace a $300+ drum

SGF 03-18-2016 09:48 AM

The seller checked the manual and the hr. meter was in fact an option as some of you said. Hard for me to imagine it being an option on a cart of this type but it was.

I appreciate all the input. I did buy the cart. When comparing it to my current 2006 TXT I noticed two things immediately.

1. When I press the gas on the TXT there is a soft and immediate take-off. On the Work Horse there is a need for just a little more pedal and there is more of jolt on take off. The engine is more powerful than the Robins in the TXT but it seems I should have that jolt like the belt suddenly engages.

2. It is much faster in acceleration and top end than the TXT. I am wondering if the top end is normal or if the governor has been removed. That will require some book time. So far I found the 2003 service/parts Workhorse manual but haven't been able to find one for the 2001.