Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Convert gas to electric (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=14457)

fadin 03-28-2009 07:06 AM

Convert gas to electric

Hi, Recently I have acquired a go cart with a 5HP gas engine. I would like to convert this go cart to electric, I never done this before, need help with conversion..I don't know where to start....I'm not looking to build a fast electric go cart... thankyou.....

H2_recovery 03-28-2009 07:37 AM

Re: Convert gas to electric

Have you thought about trading it for one? Mine is electric and I would love a gas one for larger engines replacement. Where do you live?

scottyb 03-28-2009 08:22 AM

What is your mechanical and engineering background?
What motor? What voltage? What batteries?
What type of final drive?
A golf cart drive system weighs about 600 pounds.
The batteries take 6 sq ft ...

fadin 03-29-2009 06:44 AM

Hi Scottyb thanks for your interest in my project. I have a small work shop at work where I have a South Bend lathe and a Bridgeport milling machine also have access to mig wielder. As far as electric I work on 3 phase 460VAC , starters, relays, ladder logic, smart relays…. But I know nothing about DC motors, converters,...I’m looking to convert this go cart to something that is safe and quite for my kids to enjoy during the summer months…

scottyb 03-29-2009 07:46 AM

Electrical conversion can be done. You will need to find a donor cart. Hopefully you can find one with everything you need. Piece by piece can be very expensive.

dock98 03-29-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 168100)
Electrical conversion can be done. You will need to find a donor cart. Hopefully you can find one with everything you need. Piece by piece can be very expensive.

:thumbup:good advice.:thumbup:

scottyb 03-29-2009 09:10 AM

Thanks Doc. I have been looking into this. By the time you find an electric cart that has all of the components in it for your conversion ..... you may as well put batteries in it and run!? Unless you can find one that has been in an accident? It is the same old gas to electric or electric to gas conversion story..... End consensus is sell what you have and buy what you want...

CartTrader 03-29-2009 02:21 PM

Do I read this right..You have a 5 h/p "go-cart" not a golf cart? This will make all the differences in the world about how to convert it.

CartTrader

P-Z-GO 03-29-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartTrader (Post 168276)
Do I read this right..You have a 5 h/p "go-cart" not a golf cart? This will make all the differences in the world about how to convert it.

CartTrader

Thats exactly what I was wondering

Cool Hand Luke 08-31-2012 05:58 PM

I am looking at getting an older gas cart for real cheap, but I would like to convert it to electric. Would I still be better off getting an electric cart? Any suggestions?