Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New To Me 2014 RXV. I have a few questions... (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=156540)

mayberry32 08-25-2019 07:43 AM

New To Me 2014 RXV. I have a few questions...

So, I've had a Club Car Precedent for a few years and it's been an amazing cart. My only issues were that it was bare bones, grandma beige, small wheels, and it was slow. After pricing out the upgrades to make it what I wanted, I ran across a really nice 2014 RXV and bought it yesterday for a steal. There are a few things I'd like to change, if possible, as the ride is smoother than my CC Precedent, but it feels more spongy and wobbly in turns. Is there a way to stiffen up the front end a little, or is that just the way EZGo's ride vs. CC's?

Also, it came with really nice 14" wheels, but it has street tires on it. The size is 225/40-14 Duro's, as seen in the picture. What tires can I fit that are more turf/All Terrain that give it a little more beefy look without lifting the cart? I think I'd prefer 12" wheels to give a little more tire sidewall, but it came with 14's, so I hope to be able to work from there. If not, I'll probably sell the wheels and buy a whole new setup. Any suggestions on tires that will fit these wheels and beef up the look a little more? I even considered putting fender flares on it to make it look less like a street cart.

Any answers or suggestions are appreciated. This is a really nice forum full of great information. Thanks in advance.

mayberry32 08-25-2019 08:42 AM

Re: New To Me 2014 RXV. I have a few questions...

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the cart, as is, if it helps with advice.

BoDidly 08-25-2019 10:20 AM

What is the lift on that thing ?

kernal 08-25-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoDidly (Post 1647645)
What is the lift on that thing ?

That cart isn't lifted. I'm running the same tires on my RXV and no lift.

kernal 08-25-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayberry32 (Post 1647599)
So, I've had a Club Car Precedent for a few years and it's been an amazing cart. My only issues were that it was bare bones, grandma beige, small wheels, and it was slow. After pricing out the upgrades to make it what I wanted, I ran across a really nice 2014 RXV and bought it yesterday for a steal. There are a few things I'd like to change, if possible, as the ride is smoother than my CC Precedent, but it feels more spongy and wobbly in turns. Is there a way to stiffen up the front end a little, or is that just the way EZGo's ride vs. CC's?

Also, it came with really nice 14" wheels, but it has street tires on it. The size is 225/40-14 Duro's, as seen in the picture. What tires can I fit that are more turf/All Terrain that give it a little more beefy look without lifting the cart? I think I'd prefer 12" wheels to give a little more tire sidewall, but it came with 14's, so I hope to be able to work from there. If not, I'll probably sell the wheels and buy a whole new setup. Any suggestions on tires that will fit these wheels and beef up the look a little more? I even considered putting fender flares on it to make it look less like a street cart.

Any answers or suggestions are appreciated. This is a really nice forum full of great information. Thanks in advance.

You're probably going to have to go to 12" or even 10" wheels. The tires on your cart are 21" tall. I have the same tires. 20-21" tall tires are about as tall as you can go without lifting it.
A quick search yielded these: https://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/2...lf-cart-tires/ Just a guess as to what you are looking for. These guys are a site sponsor. Probably don't list everything they have or can get on the web. Might be worth a phone call.

BobBoyce 08-25-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayberry32 (Post 1647612)
Here is a picture of the cart, as is, if it helps with advice.

Very nice tires. I prefer the smoother ride of street tires. I try to stay out of the mud with my RXV. I've reprogrammed a couple of RXVs with stock 235 Amp controllers to reach 34-35 MPH on the street with those size tires. It requires writing custom motor current maps to make it work right, so not something that can be reprogrammed through the mail.

mayberry32 08-25-2019 08:51 PM

I have 3 small kids, so I think 25mph is fine for now. This thing flies compared to my Club Car. And taking my dog for runs on the course at night, I don’t think I’d want it any faster on the golf course. I would like to stiffen up the side to side rocking a little in the front springs, if possible.

As for the tires, I don’t want atv mud tires. But a nice all terrain turf tire that looks a little more beefy would be nice. I’m afraid I’m going to have to back down to 12” wheels to find tires that fit, though.

BobBoyce 08-25-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayberry32 (Post 1647792)
I have 3 small kids, so I think 25mph is fine for now. This thing flies compared to my Club Car. And taking my dog for runs on the course at night, I don’t think I’d want it any faster on the golf course. I would like to stiffen up the side to side rocking a little in the front springs, if possible.

As for the tires, I don’t want atv mud tires. But a nice all terrain turf tire that looks a little more beefy would be nice. I’m afraid I’m going to have to back down to 12” wheels to find tires that fit, though.

Yup, that is the challenge. With the A/T tire designs, the lugs on the tires stick out further than street tread, so you will have to go with smaller wheels to get them to fit with no lift.

mayberry32 08-25-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBoyce (Post 1647799)
Yup, that is the challenge. With the A/T tire designs, the lugs on the tires stick out further than street tread, so you will have to go with smaller wheels to get them to fit with no lift.

So, what is my max AT/Turf tire on 14" wheels that will fit with no lift? I found these and they look nice, but I don't need the wheels...just tires. If I could find something like this and it still ride well, I'd be happy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLF-CART-1...-/223303389746

If not, I'll have to sell my 14" wheels and tires and buy 12's with A/T tires on them.

BobBoyce 08-26-2019 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayberry32 (Post 1647817)
So, what is my max AT/Turf tire on 14" wheels that will fit with no lift? I found these and they look nice, but I don't need the wheels...just tires. If I could find something like this and it still ride well, I'd be happy.

If not, I'll have to sell my 14" wheels and tires and buy 12's with A/T tires on them.

A/T tires don't ride smooth like street tires. They tend to be loud and a bit rough riding. You can get turf tires that are smooth riding.

mayberry32 08-26-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBoyce (Post 1647858)
A/T tires don't ride smooth like street tires. They tend to be loud and a bit rough riding. You can get turf tires that are smooth riding.

So, since I have 225/40-14 street tires on now, and they are approximately 20.75" tall, with no rubbing, do you have. suggestion of turf tire that will look nice on my cart and won't exceed my height in a 14" size? I've looked and I'm having no luck.

MCJEFE 08-26-2019 08:44 AM

On my RXV without any lift I'm running:

12" Banshee Gunmetal Wheels mounted with the 255/50-12 EXCEL Classic DOT Tires. I have 2" spacers on the front wheels and fender flares. I get a little rub turning at hard lock while going over bumps. But its low and wide and does fantastic on the streets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mayberry32 08-26-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCJEFE (Post 1647921)
On my RXV without any lift I'm running:

12" Banshee Gunmetal Wheels mounted with the 255/50-12 EXCEL Classic DOT Tires. I have 2" spacers on the front wheels and fender flares. I get a little rub turning at hard lock while going over bumps. But its low and wide and does fantastic on the streets.

Thanks. Do you happen to have a picture where I can see how it looks?

MCJEFE 08-26-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayberry32 (Post 1647977)
Thanks. Do you happen to have a picture where I can see how it looks?

This is the absolute maximum tire I can see getting to fit on the RXV without a lift and it's only suited for street and course use. You'll have to trim a little plastic for the rear tires and if your careless it can rub a little with the steering turned all the way when going over bumps or ruts.

I also have a Leaf 14 module lithium conversion which reduced the weight by 300 lbs...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c8879e1f0b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...49387e6b56.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d86527d61b.jpg

mayberry32 08-26-2019 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I keep looking at these and really like the way they look:

A local cart shop sent me the picture of the red cart below, which I really like. If I can get this setup, I'll be completely happy. Are those definitely 14's on that cart? It looks great.

MCJEFE 08-26-2019 09:52 PM

Nice looking cart! The wheels look like 12's to me.

kernal 08-26-2019 10:57 PM

They look like 12s to me too. Also, I believe those are the same tires I linked to in post #5.

mayberry32 08-27-2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kernal (Post 1648174)
They look like 12s to me too. Also, I believe those are the same tires I linked to in post #5.

I believe you are right. So, most people I've spoken to say to leave the 14's on there and they look better than 12's. What are your opinions here: leave the cart the way it is, or go with the meatier tires like I listed above? It rides very smooth the way it is. Not sure how those other tires would ride compared to the street tires that are on it now.

wingnut2000 08-28-2019 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
no lift on my RXV

MCJEFE 08-28-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingnut2000 (Post 1648530)
no lift on my RXV

Looks sharp!

mayberry32 08-28-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingnut2000 (Post 1648530)
no lift on my RXV

Those are 12's with all terrain tires, correct? Do you ever run them on a golf course? Are they rough on the turf, or okay to run down fairways?

mayberry32 09-13-2019 11:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So, I’m taking the cart in next week to get a few things fixed. I can either leave stock with the same wheels and tires that are on it now, or I can put a 2” lift on it, ditch the 14” wheels and add 10” wheels and AT tires. Which do you think looks better?

cgtech 09-13-2019 11:53 PM

Your setup is the perfect setup for a rxv. Can have great speed, will work great, and not taxing the stock hardware too much! Keep it as is! I think you would be left having second thoughts/buyer's remorse if you change it. It's the perfect setup.

mayberry32 09-14-2019 09:04 AM

So, you like the street look over meatier tires? It seems like the low profile tires with the 14" wheels would be much bumpier that tires with more sidewall and smaller wheels. I agree it looks good the way it is....I just always notice the jacked up golf carts with all terrain tires and think they look really good.

Would a 2" spindle lift change anything, other than giving a little more clearance to prevent scrubbing? Would it affect handling at all, or change turning radius?

agpfl 09-14-2019 09:33 AM

This is all a matter of owner preference and not what everyone else thinks. I have both 6" lifted with 23" tires as well as one with 21" tires and no lift. Without question the non lifted one handles better and is more comfortable to drive. The lifted one is faster because of the larger tires but is a handful at faster speeds and is unable to make tight turns. I prefer the lifted look, but if I personally had to choose I would go without a lift. The low profile tires have a much stiffer ride which is fine for the streets, but you feel all the bumps.

mayberry32 09-14-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agpfl (Post 1652852)
This is all a matter of owner preference and not what everyone else thinks. I have both 6" lifted with 23" tires as well as one with 21" tires and no lift. Without question the non lifted one handles better and is more comfortable to drive. The lifted one is faster because of the larger tires but is a handful at faster speeds and is unable to make tight turns. I prefer the lifted look, but if I personally had to choose I would go without a lift. The low profile tires have a much stiffer ride which is fine for the streets, but you feel all the bumps.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I definitely don't want to go with a 6" lift. I have 3 small kids, a mid sized dog that rides with me all the time, and my wife is only 4'10". So, I don't want the cart that high. While I love the looks, I don't want the instability or rollover risks, especially since kids will be driving it in the coming years. I would add, at most 2", just to lift it up a bit. So, my options are keeping the same street tires and 14" wheels I have right now, or adding 2" lift and going with a more all terrain 20" tire and 10" wheels. I have even considered adding the 2" lift, and keeping the tires and wheels I currently have, hoping it handles bumps on the course better. When I'm running my dog at night, it gets a little rough on the 14" wheels and low profile tires over bumps, both on the course and the cart paths. It handles great on the street.

mayberry32 09-14-2019 09:48 PM

Very strongly considering ordering these and giving them a shot. Same size as my current tires, 12" wheels and AT tires. I can put these on without a lift on my RXV, maintain the same speed and get more compliance offload, on the course and on the cart paths. My 14's and street tires are beating the crap out of me anytime I'm not on the street. I need a little softer ride, or I'm going to tear the cart to hell and back. These look really good, and might give me everything I'm looking for.

https://smile.amazon.com/Vampire-Alu...s%2C136&sr=8-1