Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2002 Gas DS FE290 Drive Clutch Removal (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=157866)

kris.foote@yahoo.com 10-09-2019 07:38 AM

2002 Gas DS FE290 Drive Clutch Removal

I assume there is another thread with this on this site but I'm having a hard time searching. Anyhow, any tips, tricks, or suggestions on how to remove the drive clutch on the above mentioned cart? I have the bolt puller tool and know how to use it, I've used penetrating oil, and impact but this sucker is not popping off! I could use heat/torch as well but avoiding that too. I need to replace weights and buttons as I have rattling in there. I have the engine and body still on and trying to avoid pulling this and making a winter project but will do if necessary. Any tips or anything I may be missing? Oh and forgot to mention that I bent the puller slightly where it goes into the shaft. Thank you all in advance.

CP241 10-09-2019 08:14 AM

Re: 2002 Gas DS FE290 Drive Clutch Removal

Sometimes they really get stuck on there. I've used the puller tool to no avail before, usually when that happens you can take a rubber mallet (NOT a hammer) and give some good whacks on the starter/generator pulley. It's made of steel as where the clutch itself is not. Sometimes you have to "shock" it a bit to get it to pop, even with the puller tool. If that doesn't work, then you may have success using a hammer and hitting the "bolt" at the end of the puller tool. Little more direct impact than the rubber mallet method but effective.

The last one I removed was REALLY on there. To the point that nothing I tried would get it off. The clutch was garbage anyway (sheaves were dished out, outer sheave and housing literally exploded and half of it was gone when I bought the cart) so I just went to town and I kinda destroyed what was left of it beating it off, but I won! I already had another clutch to go on there anyway, so wasn't upset in destroying what was on there, I just wanted it off. That particular clutch was not going to come off any other way. Hopefully you have better luck, but sometimes they can be on there and corroded between the clutch and crankshaft SO badly there's no other way. Important thing is to take care not to screw up the crankshaft. Clutch is much easier to buy a new one and replace than crank

kris.foote@yahoo.com 10-09-2019 06:49 PM

I will let it soak again overnight with penetrating oil. I filled up the hole with grease as I’ve read too then I bottomed out the puller tool. Unreal. This is a @&$?%! So tomorrow I will beat on the steel starter generator pulley and also add about 1/2 inch of hardened steel to the end of puller tool at the same diameter. I’ve never had something kick my *** so bad. Lol

kris.foote@yahoo.com 10-10-2019 07:59 PM

Update - Will be cutting clutch off. Puller tool head broke off inside clutch. Going to drive it until it does whatever it’s going to do. A simple button and weight rebuild turned tragic. Ha