Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Barely Runs (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=151296)

jdavila99999 03-29-2019 07:14 AM

Barely Runs

My 1995 G14 smokes .
It will turn over but won’t move . Changed the plug and it helped.
But still sputtering and popping.
Pretty sure it needs rings.
Until then what can I do to help it? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4f03b40fef.jpg

Plug was really fouled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CP241 03-29-2019 08:05 PM

Re: Barely Runs

Have you checked compression?

If the plug looks that bad and gunked up, I'm guessing it's been burning oil for quite some time. I'd check to make sure the exhaust isnt plugged too

jdavila99999 03-29-2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1599648)

If the plug looks that bad and gunked up, I'm guessing it's been burning oil for quite some time. I'd check to make sure the exhaust isnt plugged too

Thanks
How exactly do I check exhaust for pluggage?

jdavila99999 03-29-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1599648)

I have not checked compression.
I will Sunday.
Any tips?

Shepard 03-30-2019 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdavila99999 (Post 1599457)
My 1995 G14 smokes .
It will turn over but won’t move . Changed the plug and it helped.
But still sputtering and popping.
Pretty sure it needs rings.
Until then what can I do to help it? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4f03b40fef.jpg

Plug was really fouled.

The first thing I'd do is stop trying to force it to run till you figure out the problems. Pull the valve cover and see if the valves are closing -- check your valve lash. Check the choke to be sure it's opening all the way. Check the air box for obstructions and be sure it's getting all the air it needs. The biggest problem is using the pedal start - maybe have to choke it to start then only driving a few feet and never heating the plug so it can clean itself. Then do a compression test.
I found a plug like that in my G2 when I bought it - bypassed the pedal switch and it ran great but smoked very bad --- I went the Vegas Carts way
and never looked back.

jdavila99999 03-30-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepard (Post 1599718)
The first thing I'd do is stop trying to force it to run till you figure out the problems. Pull the valve cover and see if the valves are closing -- check your valve lash. Check the choke to be sure it's opening all the way. Check the air box for obstructions and be sure it's getting all the air it needs. The biggest problem is using the pedal start - maybe have to choke it to start then only driving a few feet and never heating the plug so it can clean itself. Then do a compression test.

I found a plug like that in my G2 when I bought it - bypassed the pedal switch and it ran great but smoked very bad --- I went the Vegas Carts way

and never looked back.

Gotcha
Why and how do I bypass the pedal switch on a G14?

jdavila99999 03-30-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepard (Post 1599718)

and never looked back.

When I pull the valve cover do I need to replace the gasket?
What other options is there to using the pedal start?

CP241 03-30-2019 01:49 PM

I would start first with a compression test, make sure youbhild the throttle.wide open when doing it.

Its quick, easy, and will tell us a lot more without rewiring, and chasing other stuff.

Shepard 03-30-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1599849)
I would start first with a compression test, make sure youbhild the throttle.wide open when doing it.

Its quick, easy, and will tell us a lot more without rewiring, and chasing other stuff.

Before you can do an honest compression test you have to remove all other possible faults first - if a valve is held open what is a compression test going to tell you?

Bypassing the pedal switch is not necessary at this time -- down the road after you get it running.

CP241 03-30-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepard (Post 1599861)
Before you can do an honest compression test you have to remove all other possible faults first - if a valve is held open what is a compression test going to tell you?

Bypassing the pedal switch is not necessary at this time -- down the road after you get it running.

Agreed. I always start with a compression test so I know where I start. Then adjust valves and recheck compression. After that I move onward to carb, exhaust, spark, timing, etc.

I just like to get a baseline if what I being home and start with before I start messing with jt