Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G2 not charging battery (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=181145)

Thinner 12-04-2021 10:11 PM

G2 not charging battery

4 Attachment(s)
I cannot find a year on the frame, but I believe it’s a G2. I’ve replaced the starter generator, voltage regulator, and solenoid. The battery has been load tested. I’ve been trying to figure out why the system will not charge the 12v battery for months. I’ve unhooked all accessories. I’ve taken the green wire from the generator and grounded it. The voltage actually drops to 11v when I did that. I’ve also noticed that the red wire that connects to the A2 on the generator gets red hot when driving. What else could it be? Thanks!

CP241 12-05-2021 12:32 AM

Re: G2 not charging battery

When you ground the field wire on the starter/gen it should go “full out” and that is generally somewhere around 17v or so

If this isn’t happening then double check all your connections and make sure the engine/cradle/starter gen has a good ground connection. These are notorious for bad engine grounds. You should have less than about 3 ohms from the engine (anything metal) to the negative battery terminal.

If all is good and it still doesn’t increase voltage when you ground the field wire it’s a bad starter/gen. What kind did you get? Oem or aftermarket?

Thinner 12-05-2021 10:00 AM

I just checked the ohms, and I’m getting between .8 - 1 ohms. The generator is after market, but I swapped it with a new OEM from different working cart and it still does the same.

CP241 12-05-2021 01:07 PM

Is this something new that’s happening and was working fine before, or did you buy it this way

Thinner 12-05-2021 03:13 PM

I bought it this way, I got it for $350 because of this reason.

cartdoc1969 12-12-2021 06:41 PM

The red wire on A2 or any other terminal should not get that hot. Have to solve that problem first. Usually a poor connection will cause it. What does the ring terminal look like ?

Thinner 12-14-2021 07:48 PM

The ring terminal looks fine. I’m at a loss here.

CP241 12-14-2021 07:53 PM

I’d check the grounds with the engine running. Make sure when the circuit is loaded, that it maintains good contact. Do a voltage drop test on the power and ground sides of the system.

I’d also go through all the wiring with a fine tooth comb. Something isn’t right, but you’ll have to do the leg work as it’s hard to tell from 1000 miles away what you’re looking at.

G1-G9 12-15-2021 03:05 PM

you have your positive and negative backwards on it.