Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   As the air temp rises, my cart stumbles more (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=32627)

Pipsta 05-06-2010 12:58 PM

As the air temp rises, my cart stumbles more

Well, the temperature outside is getting close to 100 in Phx, AZ during the day. So the evenings are staying pretty warm too for a while. I noticed last night that for the first hour or so of my driving the cart it kept wanting to stumble off a standstill. As soon as the air cooled by 10 degrees it stopped happening. It also mostly happens when I have a full load of people and I'm accelerating off a standstill. I also noticed a bit of smoke like 'rich' exhaust at these accelerating moments.

From the symptoms it seems like it's an air/fuel mixture issue. With hotter air there's less oxygen in the same amount of air and when I'm working the motor harder under load it needs to suck more air to match the increased fuel.

My air filter is new, the air ducts are sealed fine. Is there an adjustment I can do to the carb to help get a smidge more air into the mixture as the temp gets hotter outside? ...and believe me...it's only going to get hotter outside for the next 5 months here in AZ.

Any other ideas of things to check out to eliminate from the equation?

Jimmie 05-06-2010 06:50 PM

Re: As the air temp rises, my cart stumbles more

You may need to check into a high altitude jet for your carb.

Jimmie

Pipsta 05-06-2010 08:03 PM

I didn't realize phx, az was considered 'high altitude'...lol. Maybe the extreme hot air is simulating a higher elevation. It's not any hotter than summers in the middle of America or the southern US at this point and the problem is already popping up. There has to be something wrong or an adjustment I can make. Thanks though, I'll look into that.

Jimmie 05-06-2010 08:28 PM

I don't know if 1100 feet above sea level is high altitude either, but they offer six different high altitude jets for your carb. Disney is close to sea level. I don't either but your engine has been stumbling for a while now. The jets are around $11.00.

Jimmie

Pipsta 05-06-2010 08:48 PM

It went away with a good carb cleaning and fresh fuel/air filter. Just popped back up as soon as the air temp starting getting into the 90s. So yea, I'm not sure what it is. I'll call the dealer here and see what they got for me. It probably will have to be ordered seeing as I doubt anyone here would be looking for them very often. I don't think it's a common problem as there are bazillion gas carts in the phx area and I haven't heard once about anyone needing this high altitude mod.

I wondering if the new air filter is not letting enough flow through. It's not the club car one, it's the one that is the car equivalent from fram. It could be that it's better than the old crusty one cause it's new but it's not quite right for the cart for whatever reason.

Jimmie 05-07-2010 04:45 AM

I checked into it further last night and it appears you don't need rejeting until you get around 5000 feet, sorry about that.

Jimmie

rollingon12s 05-07-2010 08:15 AM

Try putting in a smaller pilot jet, which is for the low rpm range.

crash12888 05-07-2010 04:52 PM

There is a low speed idle/air mixture screw you can adjust to change the air/fuel mix from start up to just below mid range, then it switches to drawing from the fixed high speed jet.
Screw it out 1/4 turn and try it again, if it gets better but not 100% go a 1/4 more.
If it gets worse with the first 1/4 out then go back in a 1/4 and in a 1/8 and try it.
Some carts will run fine while adjusting while sitting but may change fuel needs when put under a load.
Carry a small flat blade screwdriver with you.

Low speed mixture screw is #3 in the diagram,

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...arb-97-ds.html

Pipsta 05-07-2010 05:43 PM

What about screw #4? I was told by a guy who works on carts for a living that this screw is an air mixture control. It just controls air not fuel. It's got little jet holes in it as well.

What is the 'base' positions of these two screws? Number 4 I found at turned all the way in. I haven't checked number 3, though, yet.

Pipsta 05-07-2010 05:52 PM

OK, I read in your beautimus explanation in that linked thread about screw #2 and #3 but nothing about screw #4......