Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Melex (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Melex, resistor stlyle, speed selector cables (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=23863)

Neal 97 250 09-29-2009 07:39 AM

Melex, resistor stlyle, speed selector cables

I am trying to find the 4 cables that go from the stationary contact on the selector board to the resistor. It appears that all four are about 6" long hole to hole.

Two of mine have a heat resistant sleeve on them and two do not. The two that do not are completely shot and the two that have the sleeve really need replacing also. I am really having a hard time finding these four cables.

I e-mailed a cable company to see if they can make them and am waiting on a response. They are not hi-tech cables, just cables with a sleeve on them.

These cables look to be 6 gauge. Is this right? I am planning on replacing them with 4 gauge, is this safe?

My cart is a Melex 252. I believe it to be a '85 or '86 model, not sure. The serial number is 188748.

I took pics yesterday for you guys but I just moved and can't find my card reader yet. I will try again tonight.

Thanks guys,
Neal

scottyb 09-29-2009 07:45 AM

Re: Melex, resistor stlyle, speed selector cables

Try this place for vintage golf cart parts....
http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/...cp5/cp-app.cgi

Neal 97 250 09-29-2009 09:05 AM

I have tried there and they do not have cables. At this point I am ready to make them myself. I found a site: custombatterycables.com that I can order the parts and just make them myself. I can even get hi-temp wire. He will also do them for me but for the price of the material I can't resist doing it myself.
I might even get enough cable to replace the entire system.

Did they use 6 gauge from the factory?

I have been looking at Vintagegolfcarparts, buggiesunlimited and teetimegolfcars. It seems that tee time has the best prices. Are you familiar with them and their reliability?

I am also buying the third gear resistor and probably some contact studs since the resistor decided to break and cause some wild welding issues under there. Not to mention melting the 4 wires I can't seem to find.

scottyb 09-29-2009 09:29 AM

Lots of members make their own cables.. Most use welding cable because of it's high strand count and resistance to acid ... copper lugs can be crimped or soldered on..... I suggest you replace ALL the lug contacts on the wiper board and the wiper contact cable if you can..... good luck!
Stock was 6g but 4 is better!

Neal 97 250 09-29-2009 09:46 AM

The contact studs look fairly new except for the custom weld job on two of them. LOL
The wiper cable and contact look fairly new also. No rot and still fresh and red colored, no corosion either. I believe most of this started when the wiper arm (two piece design) started getting loose between the two parts. There are two small nuts and screws that hold it on that came loose. That then made the wiper contact angled. It then became worn at an angle also and only hitting half of the contact stud. Somewhere in there the resistor broke and wham bam thank you mamm here I am.

Since I have to remove 4 of the 5 contacts to replace the cables I will replace the studs as well, and at a bit over a buck a piece it is good insurance.

What size welding wire do most people use?

Also, it seems that if I use 4 gauge on the switch plate I would not gain anything by using 2 gauge elsewhere on the system. Is this correct? Or is it best to use the larger cables on the longer ones and between batteries even though 4 gauge is on the switch plate?

Does this all make since to you?

Also Scotty, I spent almost 6-8 hours on this forum yesterday just reading. I saw you used to have a Melex similiar to the 252 I have. Can you please look at my post in the lifted section to give me suggestions if you can. I see you are one of the pro's on here so I would appreciate your input from a Melex point of view.

Thanks,
Neal

scottyb 09-29-2009 09:55 AM

I'm no pro but, I did sleep at a holiday inn last night :lhmo:
I already posted a pic of the melex. 4 ga. through-out should be an improvement & good enough.

Neal 97 250 09-29-2009 10:04 AM

OK thanks Scotty. I think I am on the right track.
I will replace the switchboard cables with 4 gauge heat resistant and get it running. Then I will be able to replace the battery cables once it is up and running for pretty cheap also.

Thanks again,
Neal

scottyb 09-29-2009 10:07 AM

You can everything you need at a welding supply shop... :thumbup: