Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Yamaha G8 Club - Please post! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=49288)

Mike Mac 03-11-2015 10:45 PM

Re: Yamaha G8 Club - Please post!

Mike, the third hole from the outside is probably where you'll end up. A little bit of positive camber is what you want!! And driving it a while, it will settle in and be just where it needs to be!!

stuff4mason 03-12-2015 07:41 AM

Mike, are those wheels/tires from a car? Yea, they may be your issue. Not sure why your 2" lower in the front, except that like someone already mentioned, the front shocks are worn out. Having the Jakes heavy duty springs on the back would keep the back from slouching. We'd need to see what is between the shocks and the frame on the rear end, to understand the lift back there. If there are goal posts back there, you might be able to cut some of that off to level it. That would help with the camber issue on the front (if it were level).

Mr. Mike 03-12-2015 08:23 AM

Yes the rear is lifted with a normal Jake's type of goal post. The front shocks maybe worn although I can't imagine why...the carts only 25 years old. I think that once I mount the steel rear seat and set the front shock mounts back to the suggested setting (2nd down from the top) the cart may be closer to level. Does anybody know if the front shocks on a G16 would work on the G8 cause I could buy them from that parts cart?

I bought the rear seat last night. I think the cart that the seat was on was a G16 although I don't know the difference between a G14 or G16. The seat is pretty heavy compared to my homemade aluminum job.

Yes I'm pretty sure that the wheels and tires are from a car. I bought them from a guy who had them on his Cushman but they're 13" rims and they have 8 lug holes so I'm thinking somebody drilled 4 holes to make them work. Wheels and tires are so daamn expensive! It's ridiculous! In the meantime I'm going to continue working on the cart.

I also picked up the windshield last night. It's the perfect width but it's too long. So I'll need to cut some off. I hope I can do it without breaking or cracking it.

stuff4mason 03-12-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Mike (Post 1130052)
Yes the rear is lifted with a normal Jake's type of goal post. The front shocks maybe worn although I can't imagine why...the carts only 25 years old. I think that once I mount the steel rear seat and set the front shock mounts back to the suggested setting (2nd down from the top) the cart may be closer to level. Does anybody know if the front shocks on a G16 would work on the G8 cause I could buy them from that parts cart?

I bought the rear seat last night. I think the cart that the seat was on was a G16 although I don't know the difference between a G14 or G16. The seat is pretty heavy compared to my homemade aluminum job.

Yes I'm pretty sure that the wheels and tires are from a car. I bought them from a guy who had them on his Cushman but they're 13" rims and they have 8 lug holes so I'm thinking somebody drilled 4 holes to make them work. Wheels and tires are so daamn expensive! It's ridiculous! In the meantime I'm going to continue working on the cart.

I also picked up the windshield last night. It's the perfect width but it's too long. So I'll need to cut some off. I hope I can do it without breaking or cracking it.

Yea, mount that seat first have people get on and off it a few times, you might end up level. If not, its easy enough to cut the ends of the goal posts a bit, redrill the holes and mount to obtain level.

Not sure you can cut acrylic without it breaking. I've never been successful at it. You might try blue painters tape on both sides with a VERY slow fine jigsaw blade. Still may crack.

stuff4mason 03-12-2015 09:54 AM

I'll go measure g8 shocks vs. g16 and let you know.

Mr. Mike 03-12-2015 11:55 AM

I am going to attempt to cut the acrylic with an air power die grinder and a thin cut-off wheel. Of course I will try a small corner first before I dive right in to cutting the whole thing. I think it may cut it ok because I won't have to apply any downward pressure. I will let you know how that works out.

thoffman2000 03-12-2015 12:22 PM

I've successfully cut the acrylic windshields with a rotary tool like a Dremel. If cutting a straight line, just clamp on a piece of wood for a "fence" and run the tool along it. Just don't get in a hurry. It actually cuts pretty easy.

Mike Mac 03-12-2015 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If someone in the neighborhood has a table saw, thats the only way to cut plastic well!!

Second best way is a router!!

Pic is a hint!! And, for "top" performance,(SAFETY), you WILL need "golf cart wheels and tires"!! You guys are close to Plowman, Call him!!! talk to him!!:thumbup::thumbup: He "is" the Don Garlits of golf carts!!!:thumbup:

The closer the bottom shock mount is to the spindle, the better!!:thumbup:

Mr. Mike 03-13-2015 08:32 AM

The cutting wheel worked awesome and fast. A little clean up and it was good.

Only problem was that the burning acrylic smell stunk up the garage and the whole house.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/...psj0if5nke.jpg

Unfortunately I had to put a rounded edge on the bottom of the windshield so that it would fit properly and it didn't come out that clean. Apparently I'm not that good at cutting radii with high speed cutting wheels...just sayin. I think I might put some black door edging along the bottom. I think that'll hide my mistakes.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/...psanjf0q4w.jpg

thoffman2000 03-13-2015 10:32 AM

That's what I've found to be so great about my golf cart projects. It's done *MY* way, not the way that some stiff says it *has* to be done.

And...yeah, cutting wheels don't cut good circles. :)