Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Need help with headlight/taillight wiring (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=6818)

kola 07-27-2008 05:07 PM

Need help with headlight/taillight wiring

3 Attachment(s)
Hi:

I purchased a painted cart body with the after market headlights and taillights already cut-in. The lights and harness have connectors that make connection very simple; however, there are separate wires that I don't know what should be connected to.

1st Picture: These connectors off one headlight and marker light.
2nd Picture: Connectors from wire harness to headlight and marker light

It's pretty obvious the two white connectors mate up one each other and the green female connector off the marker light mates up with the red male connector off the wiring harness. Where does the flat connector with black wire coming out off the wiring harness go? Is this the marker light ground? If so, where is the typical place to ground?

3rd Picture: These connectors are off one of the taillights. Again, it's obvious the white connector off the taillight mates up with connector on wiring harness. However, there is an extra (red) wire that comes off just one of the taillights (2nd does not have similar wire). What is this third (red) wire?

The last picture is of the on/off switch to maybe help identify the manufacturer of my lights and harness.

I'm going to also install turn signal kit and brake light kit, but want to first ensure that I get the headlight/taillight wiring correct first

Appreciate any assistance that can be provided.

on18's 07-27-2008 06:25 PM

Re: Need help with headlight/taillight wiring

pic 1 and 2 ....plug 2 white together....... red goes to marker light plug in that wire with green end ...... black with loop there should be a bolt on back of marker light thats the ground connect there......on tail lights that extra wire is brake light wire if you had a brake switch or turn signal

kola 07-28-2008 08:30 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Got the front lights and markers/blinkers working correctly.

Got the rear taillights working and now focusing on the rear brake/blinker lights.

The 3rd picture is of the left side taillight. Clearly, for the taillights the white connector mates to the white connector off the wiring harness.

The orange wire coming off the turn signal harness connects to the red wire hanging off the taillight, correct? Does there need to be a ground? If so, how best to accomplish?

Using a voltmeter, I touch the red lead to the orange wire and black meter lead to the frame. When I press the brake pedal, I get 12 volts. Things appear to work correctly. I'm just not sure if/how the brake light grounds.

Thanks.

Thanks

on18's 07-28-2008 10:07 AM

brake light /tail light all the same bulb its grounded thew tail light should be a 1157 bulb like in a car tail light just hook up the wire when you hit brake pedal or turn signal it should come on bright ....good luck

kola 07-28-2008 05:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. Everything is working: headlights, turn signals, and brake lights.

on18's 07-28-2008 06:17 PM

YW KOLA ....glad i could help you good luck with your cart and happy carting !! p.s if more took time to take such nice pictures of there problems a lot of them would be easy to fix .............nice job!!